“If you enjoy being scared --”
Review of Clipper Ship Inn

Clipper Ship Inn
Ranked #9 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This was the most awful hotel I have ever been too --- and I am NOT a picky person. I always view the room as a place to sleep -- that's it. I was so looking forward to coming to Salem and spending a few days. I love the history of it, and after getting there-- I thought, "I would love to come back here and just hang out". However, we checked in at 11 AM and had checked out by 10 PM that night.

First of all, we took the train from Boston to Salem---after getting off the train we called to just ASK what was the best way to get to the hotel--she was rude, short, and had us repeat the question several different times and it ended up we just asked a taxi driver by the train station. (we had thought we might could walk-- but it was a mile, and we had our luggage) I don't like rude people in the hospitality industry---no matter what position---this is your job---you get paid for these questions.

Then when we finally got to the hotel--there was an actual key that you used to get in -- that was weird, but cute in an old fashion kind of way... However, when we got inside, there was only one lock --- like the kind in a bathroom at your house. I want security--even my own home door has a deadbolt. We were going to look over this b/c we thought-- it's just a few days. It is about a mile from downtown Salem so we walked every where. That afternoon we came back, regrouped, and decided to just eat at a restaurant close to the hotel. After that, we wanted to just walk around the area a bit--(now, this part has nothing to do with the actual hotel) We were followed, and stalked by a guy on a bike, so we called the cops... They got there very quickly (we had walked into a bakery/coffee shop and he sat across the road and watched us--very obviously) They knew who it was--and we were safe as far as that went....

However, as we are talking to the cops--they asked where we were staying and after we told them, he said that the hotel was very unsafe (mostly b/c some people use it as their residence--so you can only imagine the type of people that were beside us) He said that he wouldn't stay with his wife and kid there, and he had a gun--he wouldn't feel safe. He went on to say that being it was just my mom and I, that we needed to leave that night. He didn't feel comfortable not telling us that--He did give us other choices of places to stay (only place in Salem he said was safe to stay the night was downtown, and that if you couldn't afford that--it was better to stay in surrounding towns---He really praised Peabody)

As soon as we got back to the hotel we packed up and decided to just go to Boston and stay there. We went to tell them that we were checking out, and the guy working tells us ok, but he didn't know what would happen--which we didn't understand-- I got not giving us our money back for THAT night, but the next? It didn't make sense.

We leave and the next morning we call and talk to them and she said, "YOU ARE NOT GETTING A REFUND, you should have left a police report. Not our problem you didn't." Needless to say, we had a few choice words. She just kept saying that we weren't getting it back-- she basically said-- Too bad too sad. However, the owner of the hotel did eventually call us that afternoon and gave us a refund for that night and apologized--- but really? You have these kind of employees working for you?

The police also told us from now own, when vacationing somewhere, call the local police department and ask about the area--that they are always more than willing to answer any questions. (good tip for travelers out there) I wouldn't EVER go through this much trouble with a place if I would have seen these reviews before hand. I really hate that this happened b/c it has tainted by view of Salem... Which really is a cute town.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank murdock26

Reviewed October 9, 2012

For cozy, modest lodging at an affordable price in Salem, MA, it would be hard to beat the Clipper Ship Inn. Only a short distance from the historic center of Salem, the Clipper Ship offers clean, comfortable lodging in a relaxed setting. Noteworthy for its spacious, neatly landscaped lawn, the Inn is located not very far from the graceful, beautiful bridge that spans the bay and connects the small cities of Beverly and Salem.

Family restaurants and other small businesses are located in the immediate area as well as homes that date back to the 1700's. The street and sidewalks have been recently renovated and offer a pleasant 15 or 20 minute walk to many historic attractions.

Front desk staff were friendly, very helpful with information on local attractions and directions. When my wife requested another pillow, one arrived at the room just a few minutes later. The friendly black cat in the lobby added to the cozy ambiance.

My wife and I very much enjoyed our stay on October 5'th and 6'th at the Clipper Ship Inn. The hospitality shown us by the front desk manager and her staff is appreciated. During our stay we met a nice couple who had been enjoying their visits to the Clipper Ship Inn over a period of several years. It's always good to get that kind of feedback. The next time we're in the Salem, MA area, we will be sure we stay at the Clipper Ship Inn.

Room Tip: The suites offer microwave, fridge, and k-cup coffee maker.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wayne F
Reviewed October 7, 2012

What a nice and neat place to stay. We had a suite with a little extra room to have a snack and kick back. It was close to food and stores. The owners were very sweet and accommodating. We had such a great time in Salem. Its a nice and quiet place to stay and only a 15 walk to Congress.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank J_J_bucket_list
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Loved the fact that a black cat was there to welcome us when we arrived.

We had a great experience here. Couple who run this place are great. Very customer service oriented from the point I initially made contact, to check in process up until checking out. Was pleased to get detailed instructions on how to get to the property. When checking in they explained everything to do in the area as well as where we were in relation to the attractions we wanted to visit.

I was initially taken back by the fact that this was a motel and not a hotel but it was fine. Our room was very clean and quiet. Plenty of free parking.

Only lacking item was a small refrigerator in the room

Have no doubt that I would stay here again on my next visit to Salem!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 30, 2012

i rented a room here and found it very pleasant the rooms were clean the lot and walks were clean an affordable nights stay close to attractions the k-cup machine was a nice touch, the staff was friendly and polite, i had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We wanted an inexpensive hotel relatively close to the downtown attractions. The Clipper Ship Inn was the best we could find. It's about 1/2 mile from the attractions on Bridge Street.

Our room is large and clean. The TV works. The WiFi does not. One pillow per person. All the basics are okay...but basic.

Instead of breakfast, we each got three dollar gift cards for Dunkin' Donuts. That's cool!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Bed uncomfortable, only one pillow each. Room smelly, shower ok but bathroom wall very stained with what looked like urine at the back of the toilet. Very overpriced for what it was. Our room was right next to the elevator and it got noisy with people coming in and out late at night. Only advantage was the small sitting area and refrigerator. Staff were pleasant. Disappointed
with the accommodation standards across the areas we travelled in USA so far. All overpriced and lack decent facilities and home comforts.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Hawthorne Hotel
Hawthorne Hotel
#1 of 3 in Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody

Been to Clipper Ship Inn? Share your experiences!