“NEVER AGAIN!!!!”
Review of Clipper Ship Inn

Clipper Ship Inn
Ranked #9 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 23, 2012

What a dump!!! We got there to check in at 3:00 to find a cop in the office talking to the witch of an attendant in regards to her drug addict daughter and then once we finally got our key, we went to the "suite" to find the cleaning lady still inside swearing up a storm because we were there (I had my 8 year old son with us). We were eventually given another suite (dump) to find two horrible beds (the floor would have been better if not so gross) and a crappy sitting room. WHy have a couch and seperate room without a TV??? The TV in the bedroom reminded me of the TV I had back in the 80s (tiny screen, huge box). Thank God I had my son's portable DVD player so I he could watch something to entertain himself. No papertowels or soap (why have a kitchen sink??). The ice machine was broken and therefore they used a hammer to break the ice to give us...disgusting!!! I asked for a smoking room, but instead was told to go to the picnic area, the rooms were so gross, what would it have mattered?? I would call this a crack house before I would even consider it an Inn!!! The price!! What a joke!!!!

Room Tip: Hawthorne Inn on Essex Street!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Clipper Ship Inn

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I recently returned to Salem after having lived there for many years. I enjoyed a 7-day stay at ClipperShip and concluded there are many, many places to stay in and around Salem, but for me this is the ONLY one and I will stay here each and everytime I return. Affordable, clean, well taken care of, cozy (as a motel can be) and good people run it. First class!
-Jim, Cincinnati

Room Tip: Any are fine though main floor is best to load and unload.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My sister and I booked three nights at this place (NOT an Inn). The man at the front desk was very nice and polite despite our midnight check-in. The room was sparse, to say the least. For those prices we expected MUCH more. Like decent mattresses, tissues, and a refrigerator! NOT SO! We were so tired the first night; we just went to sleep. The next morning we stopped into the office and found the manager negotiating low income housing rates with a future tenant. You can imagine our surprise! Feeling a bit uncomfortable, we set out for and had a wonderful day in Salem. Upon our return to the hotel we stopped in the office to ask for more pillows. My sister ( who needed the pillows for her back as the mattresses were like boards) was then subjected to an interrogation as to why the pillows were needed. AND the pillows never arrived! Our second day in Salem was fantastic yet again. Unfortunately, we had to return to the Clipper Ship Inn for our last night. When we registered our complaints about the dirty and uncomfortable mattresses, the lack of amenities, and the general feeling of the place being non- accommodating; the manager/owner was rude an obnoxious. I was polite and understanding..........until she got nasty. ONLY when I got verbally forceful back to her did she try to be accommodating by offering us a suite (that wasn't any
cleaner). It was our last night ( EVER at this place) so we just stayed in our room. STAY AWAY......VERY FAR AWAY!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We have been going to the clippership inn for the last 10 years or so. We come down for Halloween and usually stay in a suite . We are there for about 10 days and with the suite we get a microwave an a fridge , which saves us money on food ( it is the height of their season so everything is expensive there... but well worth it). It is not super posh .. but very comfortable, and you have lots of space ( its our girls only anual vacation, and as girls we need our space). We love having a living room and a kitchen table with chairs, and there is a krieug single cup coffee maker in the room so you can have a fresh cup of coffee in your jammies while you make your plans for a fun day . The people are always great there :) But the location is what makes it extra special !!! It is really close to salem ( about 5-10 min. ) So close that when we go to the famous Witches Ball we take a cab so we all can drink and we don't have to worry about parking ( if you've ever been there, that is a very good thing !! ). Across the street ( you can walk if you want) is a great Italian restaurant ( their pizza is great, they have subs... everything is good). There is also a Dunkin Donuts across the street also... could it get any better. :) We once again are booked there this year and all I can say is I recommend it highly. Have a good time and enjoy !!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Goldie M
Reviewed September 5, 2012

A year had gone by and once again my wife and I visited Salem, MA. We made reservations for the weekend of August 24’th and 25’th at the Clipper Ship Inn, because we had enjoyed a weekend there last year. While a couple negative reviews had been posted, I can’t help but wonder if those individuals posting the negative reviews had other issues that perhaps follow them from place to place. My experience has been that when I bring a smile into a room, I usually get more than one back. This time it was no different. The two ladies who were there when we checked in and the gentleman we saw later were very helpful, friendly and happy to recommend area attractions and other info.

We found our room to be very clean and spacious. It was well stocked with towels, bath needs, and even had extra pillows. The large well-kept lawn and shade trees beckon as a welcome area to relax and watch the birds and an occasional squirrel.

The immediate area offers fine dining, a coffee shop, and other businesses including a salon right beside the inn which my wife found convenient for a quick trim. Nearby, one can enjoy beautiful views of the bay and the long and graceful bridge that brought us into Salem. A charming bakery is only a five minute walk away. It is just a short drive to Salem’s historic downtown with its charming shops, museums, guided tours and many other attractions.

The Clipper Ship Inn in Salem, MA provides attractive, cozy, and comfortable lodging and the basic amenities for a very reasonable price. It is easy to find and only a short drive away from some amazing history. The next time my wife and I are visiting this very pretty and historic part of the east coast, we will be sure to stay at the Clipper Ship Inn.

Room Tip: The corner suites are a little larger and offer a small refridgerator and microwave.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NHwayfarer
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Been staying there for a week at a time for 15 years! Susanne and Wanda are gems..and so is their cat, Salem...we invite him into our room for a visit! They brought us home made chili last time I was there! I just reserved another week beginning Sept. 9th, 2012. Nice rooms with micro and fridge, sofa, comfortable beds, coffee and coupon for Dunkin Doughnuts just across the street.. (next to 2 more restaurants) What more could you ask for a motel?
I read several reviews which were terrible! I wonder where these people stayed...it couldn't have been The Clipper Ship I know! Of course, there are tons of spoiled people out there with a chip on their shoulders, just looking for something to complain about! They don't know that if they are rude to others, more than likely, they will get the same traeatment in return! I own two shops in a tourist town and I know first hand how rude some people can be...they think the world revolves around them and that everyone else is there to be their servant! So glad I wasn't raised that way! I'm 68 and Mom always taught me to see something good in every situation!

Room Tip: Be nice to people at ALL places like this. They are in constant contact with the public and who kno...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank 4,038
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Myself and 2 friends stayed at the Clipper Ship Inn the first of August 2012. We went to explore the history of Salem. We found it very economical, safe, and clean. After talking with Suzanne regarding the different reviews, some very extreme, and us staying there first hand, I disagree with their reviews. This is a motel, not a hotel or a resort. We were treated very well and enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: WiFi reception is better with a room closer to the office.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lisa C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Hawthorne Hotel
Hawthorne Hotel
#1 of 3 in Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center

Been to Clipper Ship Inn? Share your experiences!