“Great Location; Good Hotel”

Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Salem
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Great Location; Good Hotel”
Reviewed January 13, 2009

We stayed here over the xmas holiday in order to be close to family and friends. We got a better deal contacting the hotel via phone than we could get on their website. For what its worth the price via phone with the AAA discount was 50 cents less than the prices on the travel sites with the AAA discount. At this time of year it was a great deal for what it is.

The main areas are clean and well appointed. We didn't eat at the pub but it looked nice. The first room we stayed in had no heat. We came in late and went to dinner with friends and didn't realize this until we woke up the next morning and it was cold. The hotel immediately moved us to the "suite" next door which had a queen sleeper sofa as well as a king bed and a bit more room. If we stay again we would not upgrade to the suite but would probably stay in the original king bed/waterview/microwave-fridge room that we had. It had more closet space than my bedroom at home and a better view than the "suite" room. We didn't need the sleeper sofa.

We did not hear noise from other rooms. The buffet/server with the microwave and refrigerator are a nice addition. They were in both the original room and the suite room. The bed and pillows were comfy. We had a waterview... a sliver of Salem Harbor and a view of Marblehead and the islands but it still was nice.

Overall, it wasn't an incrediable luxury hotel but was still nice. The rug was a bit dirty (these rooms probably get a lot of traffic in the summer /fall tourist months as there are only 2 smallish hotels in all of Salem). We did not use the pool but found it odd that not only does the front desk have a monitor of the pool at all times (i can understand that for safety reasons) but that the monitor faces the front lobby so everyone can see it!

• Liked — convenience, parking, comfy big bed
  • Disliked — dirty rug, toiletries...
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank ekincade

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Newark, New York
Reviewed November 4, 2008

We spent the weekend before Halloween of 2007 here and it was beautiful. The hotel is centrally located so it was very easy to experience Salem without driving. The hotel was clean and had a restaurant - which didn't have exceptional food - but if you wanted something close the hotel it was perfect.

We walked the streets and looked the various shop. Did several walking tours which were exciting due to the history of Salem.

The Gable house was neat and very interesting to learn about.

I would like to go back next halloween to the costume party!

• Stayed October 2007
2 Thank prosperitylove79
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 1, 2008

This is likely the best place to stay in Salem. Fabulous location and I had a great room (4th floor, King w/ dry bar facing the water - I think it was 429). The room was clean, bed comfy, bathroom nice and roomy. In general, it was a good place to stay and I'll stay there again if I visit Salem.

The not so nice: front desk assistance was so/so. Most of the time, I got someone who was really nice and willing to help. But every so often (I stayed a week) there was someone who was too cavalier. When I needed something (cable for internet in this case), they didn't have any and the guy promised to get one for me by the time I got back. No such luck. But there was an amazing girl at the front desk that - despite there being no more cables - was willing to go home (nearby) and pick one up there for me to use! That was really kind of her (didn't take her up on it but what service!). Another not so nice thing was that the maid must have been shedding - one night I noticed a numerous (I counted approx. 15) black hairs on the bathroom floor. I'm blonde. Enough said.

The bad certainly doesn't outweigh the good. There is an OK pub in the hotel and the food is mediocre but good enough. Next door (literally 3 min walk, if that) is a restaurant called Finz, with amazing sea food and generally great menu. Grapevine across the street is also great. It's also about a 15 min walk from the pier to catch the ferry to Boston - very nice at sunset.

I'd rate this hotel an easy B+ and maybe A-. I'd certainly stay there again.

• Liked — Location and the fact it's rather new (thus clean and crisp)
  • Disliked — Not the best food, housekeeping could be better, would be great if they offered robes/slippers
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Jules3001969
NY
Reviewed October 31, 2008

When I booked my 3 day stay at the Salem Waterfront hotel 1 year ago for this years Halloween weekend, I was never told of this hotel's 72 hr cancellation policy. 2 days before my trip to Salem I was notified that an upcoming surgery date was moved up to Nov 2, the day after I would be returning from Salem. There was no way I would be able to make my Salem trip. I immediately called the hotel and explained my predicament. I was notified that the hotel would charge me for 1 nights stay of $360 ( They had already charged my credit card a year ago) I asked to speak to the manager. When I explained my situation to him and even offered to fax him my surgical date from my Dr, he told me " it is not my problem, and you will still have to pay for the room" I tried explaining again that this was a medical emergency and was very disappointed I had no choice but to cancel and felt under the circumstances he could refund me my 1st nights charge.( $360) I also informed him he would have my room booked within seconds of hanging up with me, so they would certainly not loose the money. He then had the nerve to tell me that because I had booked the room last year I had " displaced" other guests who might have wanted my room. I was stunned. If anyone is familar with Salem for Halloween then you know you have to book your rooms a year in advance. After informing this manager that I intended to post his poor , unprofessional and uncaring behavior on this sight , he told me he did not care. When I book Halloween in Salem next year for 09, you can bet it will not be at the Salem Waterfront Inn. There is no way I would stay at a hotel that cares so little about thier clients as this place does.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank DonnaDNY
Worcester UK
Reviewed October 24, 2008

Very disappointed with this. Having spent two weeks travelling in NEw England, I can honestly say this was the worst place we stayed in terms of value, service and room comfort.

The room was very cold. The curtains didn't fit the window properly so the lights from the car park illuminated the room. Loose tiles in the bathroom and hairs on the bathroom floor when we arrived in. Paper thin walls to the extent that you can hear the conversations people are having next door. The nice decor in the rooms isn't enough to compensate for all of these things.

This is the only place in the US where on checking out you are not asked " Was everything ok with your stay". I wonder why?

At $200 + a night, I expected a good nights sleep. But alas.....I may aswell have slept in the car park ( it was probably warmer! )

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank OneHalf
Belfast
Reviewed September 25, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 8 nights in September. We had a large corner suite which was lovely and very well equipped. The hotel is well situated for walking in Salem and is close to shops and restaurants. Staff were friendly and helpful (thank you George and John) and a small issue with our booking was sorted out to our satisfaction without any unpleasantness. I always think its easy to write a good review of a hotel when everything has gone perfectly well but a more balanced view can be had when there has been an issue and in this respect the staff performed extremely well. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Contemporary decor
  • Disliked — whats not to like
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank SamanthaC
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2008

We spent two evenings at this hotel. Really nice, clean hotel. Great food in the restaurant with reasonable prices. Super location!!! Everything was great except the female clerk on the front desk was rude and not helpful at all. Everyone else on the front desk, restaurant, etc were very nice. Beautiful spot both inside and outside!!! I would highly recommend this place.

• Liked — Cleanliness and above average size room
  • Disliked — The lady on the front desk who checked us in.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank JaniceEK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Hawthorne Hotel
Rockport Inn and Suites
#3 of 6 in Rockport
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody

Been to Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!