Listen, I have stayed in a bunch of chain hotels and a bunch of B&Bs. I'm not a super picky traveler, but lately I've found that I have a preference for chains like Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn, because usually the quality's pretty good, and at least I'm pretty guaranteed to get a clean, comfortable room with wifi.
Well, for this trip to Salem, I was part of a wedding, so the hotel was decided for me. I was absolutely blown away by the service at this place. The staff were professional, thoughtful, and went above and beyond multiple times. Plus, the rooms were clean and comfortable (and had wifi!). I would definitely recommend this hotel, *especially* if you're considering it for a big event.
Couple of points/anecdotes:
-Early check in was... never going to happen. This wasn't the hotel's fault; they had a ton of big events going on, rooms to turn over, etc. Respect the check-in time, and if you're going to need to be in a room earlier, either get a key to your friend's room, or book a room for the night before. Don't bet on an early check in time, especially if it's a big weekend with lots of potential for other weddings. The staff was sympathetic but honest with us about this, and called us as soon as a room was available.
-Not a TON of parking right there, so they directed us to their overflow lot. Which was... really just a two minute walk away. Not a big deal at all.
-The bar/lounge has fire pits outside. FIRE. PITS.
-Someone in our room didn't put the shower curtain inside the bathtub, resulting in a flood on our floor. Extra towels? Delivered promptly and without question.
-When we realized we had extra flowers for the wedding (we were arranging them in the rooms, DIY style), but no vases, I called down to the front desk to ask if they could possibly lend us two vases. They were surprised by the request, but told us to come on down and take a look at what they had. They wound up lending us two big vases for our floral arrangements -- no big deal, even though our wedding wasn't happening inside the hotel! 10 points for trust and awesomeness.
-You know how wedding weekends are, right? You always find yourself hanging around the lobby, waiting for someone. Every time we did this, we invariably found ourselves having pleasant conversations and laughing with the desk staff whenever they were between other customers. It's just nice when people are human with you.
-There are snacks and a refreshing beverage every day (or maybe just weekends? not sure) around 3 pm ish. Delish and totally a lovely touch. (Oh, and we're talking made from scratch stuff, not boxed cookies.)
-The big anecdote: The night of the wedding, we got back from the reception before the couple and wanted to decorate their room. Only problem: No one had bothered to steal a key. How to get in? Should we lie and pretend to be one of them and get a replacement key? In the end, we decided on honesty, and to our delight, the staff said they would be happy to let us in to decorate, but that they had to send a supervisor to accompany us for security reasons.
This was SO wonderful for many reasons:
1. We got our decorating done.
2. Their stuff was still secure and protected. (I mean, you wouldn't want someone to be able to just break into your room that easily!!)
Oh but it gets better. We were in the process of sprinkling flower petals all over the bed (we were totally being ridiculously sappy and over-the-top romantic), and I said, "Hey, maybe I can make a heart out of towels!" Up pipes the hotel supervisor: "I can do towel swans, if you want."
I MEAN REALLY, WHAT?! Before we know it, this sweet guy (whose name I have since forgotten, as I am a terrible person), is twisting up two large towels into swans, which we arrange on the bed -- their necks bend together and their beaks touch and it forms a heart. RIDICULOUS.
For having comfy beds, clean rooms, and good service, I give them four stars. But for lending us vases, helping us get into the bridal suite, and MAKING TOWEL SWANS, it's gotta be five stars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rising six stories, the Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites on Pickering Wharf Marina blends a contemporary outlook with an appreciation for the area's proud past. It is Salem's newest boutique hotel with a warm nautical décor. The 86 rooms and suites have handsome wood furnishings, fabrics in soothing shades and windows that let in lots of light. Look for flat-panel TVs with cable channels, pillowtop beds and high-end Keurig coffeemakers. There are complimentary wired and wireless internet connections available throughout the property, and loaner iPads are available in the lobby. Local calls are free, as are morning newspapers in lobby. It is the only hotel downtown Salem with a heated indoor pool, and the fitness room is packed with cardio and strength-training equipment. Specializing in locally caught seafood, the on-site restaurant, The Regatta Pub, serves breakfast, lunch and dinner for a "Cool and Casual Fare with Flair". In warmer weather, the tables spill out onto the patio and on cooler nights we have roaring firepits for guests to relax and enjoy a beverage or meal next to. Laundry service is a plus and Parking is always free. Our doormen will be most happy to assist with luggage assistance. LOCATION: With more than 300 years of history just outside the front door, the Salem Waterfront Hotel is a great base for exploring. The hotel sits at Pickering Wharf, close to lots of shopping and dining opportunities. Within walking distance are attractions like the Peabody Essex Museum and the historic Phillips House. Boston Logan International Airport is 15 miles southwest and Boston is 20 miles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Salem Waterfront Hotel And Marina
- Salem Waterfront Hotel