“Our first visit . . . wow!”
Review of Opus

Ranked #22 of 237 Restaurants in Salem
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Opus is a sparkling recent addition to the Salem dining scene. We visited it for the first time this evening. We had perused the online menu beforehand. The selection looked huge, but it was helpful for us to have an advanced peek at the offerings. I selected a generous order of dragon roll sushi, minus the spicy mayo. It had a savory crunch to it with its perfectly cooked tempura shrimp, plus avocado, crab, freshwater eel, eel sauce and pickled ginger. Along with it: a glass of excellent sauvignon blanc. My spouse loved the North Shore Picnic--with perfectly fried haddock (no heavy, greasy flavor), bacon potato salad, warm radishes and other trimmings. A very generous helping. For dessert, we split a mason jar filled with chocolate mousse mixed with pieces of rich chocolate cake. Thanks to Ben, our server, for his attentive service. Well worth a return visit, we think!

1  Thank annie279
Mark M, General Manager at Opus, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2014

Hello Annie,

I want to thank you for your kind words about Opus. We look forward to continuing to impress you. Ben truly is a wonderful guy.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

They pride themselves in being able to order exactly what you want, which means, everything is a la carte. They encourage you to join in on what they feel is the best part of their dining experience, and order a few...or more...of what they have to offer. This way, you end of being able to get more of what you want, and the fact that it will now cost you more than you should, is all part of what they consider to be, the best part of dining here. So, according to them, a la carte has taken a bad rep in the past, and they are out to prove that we simply "misunderstood" the meaning of it. You are also given a bottle of plain water and carbonated water. No, this is not actual bottled water, as they will explain to you that it is "their water." Is it actual spring water or natural mineral springs water? No. Is the water even filtered? It's all a mystery, which is also part of the "dining experience" of eating here. They offer the water in refillable glass bottles with a rubber stopper. No labels on the bottles, and the info they give you about this water is.....none. But the server will certainly give you some form of a speech of how "different" things are here at Opus.

Hello Chris,

I would like to first thank you for your review, as it is the most powerful tool for improvement. I would love to know more about who served you and when you were in. We are in no way an a la carte restaurant. I am sorry that that was conveyed to you. I implore you to write back to me so I may right this wrong. Our water is filtered here through a uv light filtration system. Which should have been properly explained. This review slipped through the cracks and thank goodness I found it.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Would not eat dinner here again. Too much confusion and maybe some ventilation issues (though I willingly admit I am sensitive to scent). Sushi would be my first choice here. Their selection of fish is very fresh and preparation quite tasty. The menu is way too large as they are trying too hard to be too many things to too many people.

Asian fusion, I understand. I seek it out from coast to coast on my business trips. This cuisine is typically delicious and agrees with me digestively. Fried chicken and waffles, deep fried and grilled, in the same location as an ingredient as light and delicate as sushi is handled is an over reach (or grasp) for customers and a recipe for disaster.

Mark M, General Manager at Opus, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Hello Enea,

Thank you so much for review, as it is the most powerful tool for improvement that we have. That being said we have since moved our sushi to it's own area. We now have a beautiful open air sushi bar located in the back of the restaurant. We have fine tuned our menu and I implore you to come try us again. Feel free to call or email me with any questions.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 10, 2014

We eat out regularly as residents and this is hand's down the best place in town.
Terrific service, atmosphere and fare.
Te biggest shock to us are the prices.
Incredibly affordable.
When you recognize so many locals, that speaks volumes.

Hello NYC67,

Thank you so much for your kind words about Opus. We will continue to try to improve upon ourselves. look froward to seeing you very soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

I ordered take out. Didn't notice the order was not complete until I got home. Called twice to speak with manager, no answer. Had to go back to.pick up the rest of the order. The fries were all burnt, would not order from here again. Spent too much to get too little.

Hello Marie,

I am so sorry that this happened to you. I have taken necessary steps to insure this doesn't happen again. We have gone over a intense system of steps so nothing falls through the cracks. I would love to treat you to your next take-out to make up for the last one which was a disaster. Please feel free to call or email me directly to resolve this issue.

978-744-9600

Been to Opus? Share your experiences!