“Delicious food!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tavern on the Green

Tavern on the Green
Ranked #8 of 229 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Wood-burning fireplace in a cozy wood-paneled room overlooking Salem Common, the Tavern on the Green serves a varied menu with daily specials from 11 am to 11 pm. Open 360 days a year, on the occasions of our Grand Buffet (Easter, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas,) as well as on our huge Halloween party, we only offer those special events. Soups, salads, appetizers, sandwiches, burgers, pasta dishes and entrees, yummy desserts, draft beer, wines by the glass and bottle, custom cocktails, children's menu -- we offer something for everyone.
New York City, New York
“Delicious food!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

Always had a delicious meal! Great specials, very pleasant staff!! Edi was great!!! Atmosphere was awesome!!!

Visited July 2014
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Tavern on the Green, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Debbie H,

Thank you for your review of Tavern on the Green. Though succinct, you captured those things which we believe make the Hawthorne and our two restaurants enjoyable: delicious food, friendly staff, and a unique, charming atmosphere. I’m glad you enjoyed dining with us and hope to see you again soon.

Best,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Carlisle, Massachusetts
“So friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

Every time I visit the wonderful Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, MA, I make sure to plan an early drink and dinner at Tavern on the Green This is a welcoming place. Our favorite bartender always makes the best Cosmo. Eclectic menu and daily special plates. Get the sliders or stuffed clams. Liz T275

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank LizT275
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Tavern on the Green, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear LizT275,

Thank you for your lovely review of Tavern on the Green, the Hawthorne’s pub-style restaurant. As one of our “regulars,” we truly appreciate your compliments for our delicious menu, refreshing drinks, and of course our excellent staff. In case you didn’t know, we are now offering some new “Happy Hour” specials, which may just fit your post-PEM needs!

We hope to see you again soon.

Warm regards,

York, PA
“A Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

Not only was our meal delicious, the view of the Tavern is exquisite with rich woodwork, fireplace and whimsical décor. The seating is lush and comfortable. My husband raved about his fried oyster salad, and I enjoyed their special! A great place such I wish it were closer!

Visited July 2014
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Tavern on the Green, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear laurieswalkerpittman,

Thank you for your lovely review of the Tavern. I’m pleased you enjoyed dining with us, and that the Tavern’s warm, cozy atmosphere added to your experience. I also appreciate you sharing menu recommendations, as this will certainly help fellow Trip Advisor readers when deciding where to go and what to try! The fried oyster salad/appetizer is one of my personal favorites!

We hope to see you again soon.

Best,

Gloucester, Massachusetts
“What a great meal and staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

I took a client to Tavern on the Green after a visit to the PEM last month. Both of us have food sensitivities and so have to be careful of what we eat and drink. The young woman who was the bartender and wait staff person was super nice and made sure that we were well cared for. (She seemed to be equally as nice to all of the restaurant guests). She talked to the chef about our concerns by house phone in front of us in order to relay all of our information and when the food came, it was everything that we could eat. There was so much great food that we each took some home for another meal. This was the second time in the last few months that I have visited this restaurant with a client and each time has been really good. The location is convenient for a quiet business lunch or dinner - or for any occasion - and the food is always good. But this time, the service exceeded previous visits. Tavern on the Green will continue to be my go-to place for quiet, good meals and interesting cocktails in the Salem area.

• Visited June 2014
Dear Gwen H,

Thank you for your review of Tavern on the Green, the Hawthorne’s pub-style restaurant. I’m pleased you enjoyed dining with us, and that your server was able to make sure your food sensitivity concern were communicated to the chef. We are always able to accommodate the special needs of our guests, and I will be sure to pass along your compliments to our Culinary and Dining Services team members.

We hope to see you again soon!

Warm regards,

Southborough, Massachusetts
“Excellent place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

My friend and I visited a museum in Salem today and wanted to grab lunch before leaving the area. We walked by the Hawthorne Hotel and read the menu posted outside and the food and prices sounded very attractive so we went into the hotel lobby and went to the Tavern.on the Green (I didn't see any external entrance directly to the Tavern.)

At first glance inside the place looked almost too fancy for us with its wood paneling and the over-sized stuffed chairs. (It had an elegant but warm and comfortable atmosphere.)

The staff was very quick to greet us and and take our drink orders and return with them and take our lunch orders (plus bring us rolls and butter).

The food did take a little longer than anticipated to prepare (25 minutes) but it was during lunch hour (plus I ordered my food "medium well done") so that is expected and the food was definitely worth the wait.

I didn't order anything fancy, just a burger with fries, but it was prepared exactly as I had requested and it was delicious. (The burger was so thick I could barely get my mouth open wide enough to eat it. :-))

My friend ordered the chicken (with bacon & blue cheese) omelet with a side salad and said it was excellent also.

The staff was very friendly and attentive to refill our glasses as needed plus would check in to ask if the food was OK, etc. (Later the general manager also came over to greet us and ask if everything was to our satisfaction too.)

I definitely would recommend this place and would come back again to eat there. (It was a champagne experience on a beer budget.)

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank Paul T
Dear Paul T,

Thank you for your review of Tavern on the Green. I’m pleased that you and your friend enjoyed dining with us after your museum visit, and appreciate your taking the time to share so many details of your visit. The Tavern is the Hawthorne’s casual restaurant, and our hope is to provide an atmosphere that is just as you described—elegant, but relaxed, warm and comfortable.

I also appreciate your kind words for our excellent service team, and will be certain to pass along your compliments to them and to our Chef. I’m glad you and your friend both enjoyed your choices, and am sure that fellow Trip Advisor readers will appreciate the recommendations. We always offer a daily omelet special because we know not everyone has a change to eat breakfast, and that some people just really enjoy a lighter lunch.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.