“great Time at the Hawthorne Hotel”
Review of Nathaniel's

Nathaniel's
Ranked #22 of 235 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Walking distance from the Salem MBTA commuter rail station.
Description: Nat's serves a modern European-influenced cuisine in a historic setting. Enjoy a romantic dinner, or unwind after a busy day in Salem and try out our local cheeses, seafood and meats, while sipping on your favorite wines. Wine enthusiasts will enjoy our wine by the glass flights to compliment or contrast your palate, while a selection of specialty Ales is paired with our menu for those looking for a more robust beer experience.
Las Vegas, Nevada
“great Time at the Hawthorne Hotel”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

we love the the warm home feel from this great restaurant, food is like home cooking,great service, love the meatloaf, a must have.

Visited October 2013
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Nathaniel's, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Karena U:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a separate review for our restaurant. Our meatloaf is made-from-scratch right here in our kitchens, and gets so many compliments, the most prevalent being that it “tastes better than Mom’s”.

We are so grateful to you for your kind compliments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
ma
“Good review missed by a hair”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

My husband brought me here for my birthday dinner. I was being overly sensitive about my birthday so when we walked in and the average age of patrons and piano player was 80, I was a little sad. The room is beautiful. Unfortunately, we were seated next to a party of six elderly folk who, while enjoying themselves, were speaking very loudly. Between the piano and that table, it was hard to have a conversation. There were only two servers and some of the patrons were very needy. While our server was quite pleasant and tried, I think they were understaffed. The hostess began clearing tables and someone, the events coordinator?, began pouring water. She was wearing a walky-talky that kept going off as she traveled around the room adding to the noise level. The food was good. A bit upscale. They offered a demi portion of each entree which was just the right amount of food. Sadly, I discovered a hair on my plate after I had eaten half of my entree. The hostess was mortified and extremely apologetic. She immediately comped my meal and offered to bring me anything I wanted. She brought apologies from the kitchen and an offer of dessert. I was no longer in the mood so I declined. Accidents happen and I think the hostess reacted appropriately. It is hard to say if we will return.

• Visited November 2013
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Nathaniel's, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear MaBiobabe:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your dining experience in Nathaniel's. We are so sorry that you were disappointed.

At this point there is little we can say except we are sorry. I do hope you will give us another chance. While we cannot guarantee the age of the patrons who decide to join us on any given night, I can assure you that the person who was wearing their walkie-talkie, who came in to help, has been counseled about removing it and alerting the rest of the staff that she is at a fixed location if needed.

The accident with the hair in your food was clearly just that, and it appears that you recognize that something like that can happen despite all precautions that we take. I am glad to see that the team reacted correctly in dealing with that situation.

Should you wish to discuss this further I would be pleased to take your call. You can reach me at 978-744-4080.

Mansfield, United Kingdom
“Classy Restaurant”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

As part of the Hawthorne Hotel this good restaurant serves very good food at a reasonable price . We dined on a saturday night when there was a pianist, not sure if that's every night. He was good and took requests.

Visited September 2013
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Nathaniel's, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear WAMMidlands,

Thank you for your review of Nathaniel’s, the Hawthorne’s fine dining restaurant. I’m pleased you enjoyed dining with us, and that you appreciated the atmosphere provided by our wonderful pianist. He plays for us on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings. We also host a weekly Sunday Jazz Brunch, which is fantastic!

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

New Britain, Connecticut, United States
“My New Favorite Resturaunt in Salem Mass!”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I've going to Salem Mass in October, for about 20 years . The last 6, I have stayed at the Beautiful Hawthorne Hotel, in the Heart of Salem Mass. As I get older, I've started to enjoy fine dining. On my last trip October 19th, I made reservations at Nathaniel's. I made a 5:00 pm reservation from my hotel room. After hours went by, I finally was going to eat at Nathaniel's for the first time. When I arrived in the Beautiful Dim lit envioronment, my reservation was no where to be found! But the Excellent Hostess, made sure to find me a seat for 1. Me and my taste buds, couldn't believe how excellent the food was. I started with the Braised Lamb and Gigande Beans, I told my Excellent server, it reminded me of my Grandmother's stew, and the Ravioli on top was delicious too. Then my entree was Shrimp and Scallops Sophia, after I ordered it my server said it was a very popular dish, and it is the only one they don't remove from the menu. Again Delicious. Plump seasoned Scallops and Shrimp, crispy Asparagus, and a almost creamy, cooked to perfection Risotto. I highly recommend Nathaniel's, you won't be disappointed. Oh, I almost forgot the 3 dirty Ketel One Martinis didn't hurt!

• Visited October 2013
Dear Bob K,

Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review of Nathaniel’s, our fine dining restaurant. We love to read reviews from guests who have stayed with us on several occasions and can truly speak to the Hawthorne Hotel experience.

I’m sorry to hear that your reservation was not made, but am happy to know that our hostess found you a table! It certainly sounds like you had a lovely meal; I appreciate you going into such detail with your selections, as this is beneficial to fellow Trip Advisor readers when considering where to dine.

Thank you again for your kind words about the Hawthorne and about Nathaniel’s. We look forward to welcoming you back a seventh time!

Warm regards,

Salisbury, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Breakfast at Nathaniel's”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Nathaniel's is a very attractive, quiet dining room. My husband adores good eggs Benedict. He was pleasantly surprised that the eggs came perfectly cooked to order and the sauce was sublime. The hostess and waitresses were congenial and very attentive. They were repeatedly appearing to refill your coffee or clear the plates. We really want to try the Sunday jazz brunch next time.

• Visited October 2013
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Nathaniel's, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Mary M,

Thank you for your review of Nathaniel’s. As a fine dining restaurant, we take great pride in offering our guests excellent food and service, and so I’m pleased that you and your husband enjoyed dining with us. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to our Chef and to our wonderful Dining Services team.

Our chef takes great pride in our Eggs Benedict, and the variations on that dish that we have on our menu. Thank you for sharing that specific recommendation.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on both our main Hotel page and on the page for Nathaniel’s. Taking the time to do this truly helps fellow Trip Advisor readers to understand the Hawthorne experience.

We hope to see you again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Been to Nathaniel's? Share your experiences!