“Nathaniel's”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Walking distance from the Salem MBTA commuter rail station.
Description: Enjoy a romantic dinner, or unwind after a busy day in Salem and try out our local cheeses, seafood and meats, while sipping on your favorite wines. Wine enthusiasts will enjoy our wine by the glass flights to compliment or contrast your palate, while a selection of specialty Ales is paired with our menu for those looking for a more robust beer experience.
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I dined at Nathaniel's in the Hawthorne Hotel while visiting Salem and the PEM. The food was excellent. We ordered an appetizer of smoke salmon that was delicious. My husband and I shared a salad with cranberries, walnuts and cheese which was excellent. We also had a basket of bread with olive oil cheese, garlic and spice. Our dinners were salmon with pea hummus, fennel and flounder with small potatoes and snow peas. I had the flounder and it was out of this world. Wait staff were very attentive and kept our water glasses filled and removed dirty dishes. Note that the salmon appetizer was on the dinner menu in glass outside, but not on our dinner menu. The wait staff asked the cook/kitchen to prepare this for us and did. We totally enjoyed our dinner and it was a very relaxing meal.

HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Nathaniel's, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear GAG2013,

Thank you for your review of Nathaniel’s. I’m glad that you enjoyed dining with us, and that you found our servers to be so welcoming and helpful.

We strive to offer excellent service and delicious food. It sounds like you and your husband made some excellent choices, and I’m certain that fellow Trip Advisor readers will appreciate your specific recommendations from our menu.

Thank you for also letting us know that our outside menu differs from the menu you received at your table. We will make sure that this is corrected.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We decided to eat at Nathaniel's for dinner. The restaurant is in the beautiful Hawthorne Hotel. We were greeted by Cheryl who served us that evening. My husband and I had the filet mignon,potatoes,asparagus and rolls with a watermelon sorbet appetizer. For dessert, my husband had NY cheesecake and I had warm apple blossom pie a la mode. Oh my goodness, it was all so delicious-we would heartily recommend this restaurant and we would not hesitate to eat here again. Ask for Cheryl, she is very knowledgeable and helpful.

HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Nathaniel's, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Bethany G,

Thank you for your review of Nathaniel’s. I’m pleased that you and your husband enjoyed dining with us. As a fine dining restaurant, we pride ourselves in offering guests excellent food and service, and it’s great to hear that we were able to provide you with just that.

I’m certain that fellow Trip Advisor readers will appreciate your specific dinner and dessert recommendations. We also appreciate you recognizing Cheryl specifically for her hard work, and will be certain to pass along your compliments to her and the rest of our team.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I went to Nathaniel's with three friends and my mom for my 21st birthday and it was great! The chef himself came out to wish me a happy birthday (which was pretty cool) and then our server brought us out a dish "compliments of the chef" which was really good; It was a shrimp wonton with Asian ginger sauce and I just wish there had been more it was so good! Following that I had Steve's Seafood Chowder which is a very thick and creamy chowder with lots of seafood in it that was delicious and then I ordered Scallops Sophia for my entree which was one of their summer specials and a terrific seafood dish. When it came time for dessert I was a bit sad that they no longer had my favorite Hawthorne Hotel dessert on the menu - the Chocolate Crescendo - but what a surprise when our server brought it out to as a special birthday treat made just for me by Chef Steve! It was a terrific birthday dinner and all of my friends really enjoyed their meals, too and none of us walked away still hungry, that's for sure! Everyone in Nathaniel's made me feel special, it's the best birthday dinner I've ever had!

HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Nathaniel's, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Amanda D,

Thank you for your wonderful review of Nathaniel’s. Guests are our top priority, and it was such a pleasure to hear of how Chef Steve and our servers were able to make your birthday all that much more special for you. It sounds like it was a great evening!

Thank you for also taking the time to go into such detail about what menu choices you made. This will no doubt benefit fellow Trip Advisor readers who are curious about our menu.

Thank you again for choosing Nathaniel’s for your birthday celebrations. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Ordered room service for breakfast it was great! $18 and a ton of food, they were super quick in delivery and very friendly soul have ordered every day if I had known how great it was

HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Nathaniel's, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Bumbalough,

Thank you for your review of our room service. I’m glad that you enjoyed your meal, and that you found our service to be quick and friendly, as well as a great value.

When many hotels are doing away with things like Room Service, here at the Hawthorne Hotel we continue to provide all the conveniences we believe our guests want and deserve. We are so happy you enjoyed this service.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We took my father to Nathaniel's, which he loves, for his 86th birthday. It was a delight. The service was impeccable. The waitress went out of her way to make it a special experience for my father. She brought out a birthday torte with a candle - and had privately spoken with the pianist, who played a lovely version of 'Happy Birthday' for Dad. Before the pianist arrived, my father heard a melody on the restaurant's music, and another waiter took the time to track down the name of the classical song on his cell phone, and provide the information to my sister so we can find the song for Dad. Food was excellent, and the ambiance, service and courtesy truly made it an evening to remember. Thank you, Nathaniel's team, for all your kindnesses.

Dear ClaudiaNewcorn,

Thank you for your lovely review of Nathaniel’s. Excellent food and dedicated, hospitable service are our top priorities, and it made my day to hear about the many ways in which we were able to help make this occasion even more special for you and your family.

We hope to welcome you all back soon.