“Very good food, excellent service”
Review of Nathaniel's

Nathaniel's
Ranked #22 of 235 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Walking distance from the Salem MBTA commuter rail station.
Description: Nat's serves a modern European-influenced cuisine in a historic setting. Enjoy a romantic dinner, or unwind after a busy day in Salem and try out our local cheeses, seafood and meats, while sipping on your favorite wines. Wine enthusiasts will enjoy our wine by the glass flights to compliment or contrast your palate, while a selection of specialty Ales is paired with our menu for those looking for a more robust beer experience.
PA
“Very good food, excellent service”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed in the Hawthorne Hotel on a business trip and enjoyed both dinner and breakfast at Nathaniel's just off the lobby. The atmosphere is very nice especially at night when dinner is accompanied by live piano music. The waitstaff was very warm, friendly and attentive. The wine list was very good and I fond a nice riesling available by the glass at dinner.

At dinner, I was offered an amuse bouche that had blue cheese and pear wrapped in phyllo. If anyone asked me, I would tell them that I'm not a fan of blue cheese but this little morsel was delicious! For dinner, I selected the crab meat stuffed jumbo shrimp. While it was very good, I think the stuffing could have had more crab and less bread. I passed on dessert, opting for a cup of coffee instead. I really really enjoyed their coffee - probably the best cup of coffee I;ve had in a long time and I drink coffee practically everyday.

The prices were reasonable, not bargin priced but not outrageous. I think I payed ~$35 plus tip for salad, entree, glass of wine and a cup of coffee.

• Visited June 2013
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Nathaniel's, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Harleysville_Bill,

Thank you for your review of Nathaniel’s. I’m certain that fellow Trip Advisor readers will appreciate your detailed description of your dining experience in our restaurant, as well as your specific wine and menu recommendations.

With the compliments we receive on our coffee all the time, I’m not at all surprised that you found this a perfect end to your meal. We receive continual comments about the consistently smooth but rich taste of our coffee. Should you ever return and are in the mood for something sweet, though, our menu changes seasonally and our desserts are always amazing.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Brooklyn, Connecticut
“Disappointing”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I had a disappointing experience at Nathaniel's on June 1, 2013. We were visiting Salem for the weekend and looking for an upscale dining option. We arrived for our 6:30 Saturday evening reservation on time and were seated promptly, at a nice table by the windows. The restaurant is located in the lovely Hawthorne Hotel, and had a nice ambience of old-fashioned elegance. A gentleman plays jazz and old standards on the piano, a great accompaniment.

Now to the food. Our appetizers were very good. I had the smoked salmon and my boyfriend had fisherman's chowder. He enjoyed it, although I found it bland. There were nice warm rolls with an excellent infused olive oil for dipping, and butter upon request.

The real problem was the entrees. Both were terribly overcooked. My boyfriend's pan-seared flounder had been cooked so long it was reduced to mush. There was no texture to the fish whatsoever. I had the roasted half chicken. When it appeared, it looked shriveled and leathery, coated with a syrupy looking "mushroom gravy." There were no discernible mushrooms or any other particular purpose to the gravy except to act as camouflage. I removed the skin from the chicken with some difficulty and tried the white meat, which was stringy, tough and had an off-taste. I really wondered if it had been cooked earlier in the week and reheated. My mashed potatoes and asparagus were just fine.

We did have dessert, cheesecake and a chocolate roulade. Both were very good.

While our entrees were disappointing, I have to give kudos to Judy, our server. She noticed that we weren't eating, and when I quietly mentioned the problems with the food, she could not have been more apologetic than if she'd cooked the food herself! She asked us what she could get for us instead, but at that point neither of us felt like waiting for another entree. So she spoke with the chef, who agreed that our entrees were sub-par, and removed them from the check.

Service throughout our visit was friendly, helpful and attentive. And I applaud Nathaniel's for acting so swiftly to make things right for us.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank maryetuf
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Nathaniel's, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear maryetuf:

Thank you for the candid review of your experience in Nathaniel’s Restaurant. It seems that you enjoyed most of your experience, as your review indicates that you found the ambiance, piano player, and excellent service, as well as the appetizers and desserts, all to be enjoyable.

It is even more distressing, then, to read that your entrees were not acceptable. I am so happy that the staff reacted appropriately and noticed that you were not enjoying them, and dealt with the situation for you.

I would like to reach out to you to invite you back on another occasion to enjoy dinner with us, so that we can show you that the entrees we prepare are of the best quality. If you will simply contact me as soon as possible, I would be happy to arrange that for you. You can reach me by calling the hotel at 978-744-4080 and simply asking for me.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect evening!”
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely dinner here ! We live nearby but had never come in for dinner. Ordered ceasar salad and warm spinach salad. Fresh perfectly dressed and delicious! My husband ordered the steak and it was perfectly prepared I ordered the signature dish shrimp and scallops. We shared mocha brûlée for dessert and it was fantastic ! A little expensive but worth it! Linda, our server was attentive and efficient! We will be back!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Farleysmom13
Dear Farleysmom13,

Thank you for your review of our restaurant, Nathaniel’s. I’m so pleased that you and your husband enjoyed your evening with us, and I’m sure that fellow Trip Advisor readers will appreciate your specific menu recommendations.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Burlington, Canada
“Delicious!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I can't say enough about the stuffed acorn squash. My boyfriend enjoyed the sirloin steak - it was cooked perfectly. Great portion sizes. Great service.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Brie2010
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Nathaniel's, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Brie2010,

Thank you for your review of Nathaniel’s. Excellent food and great service are our top two priorities, and your recommendation of particular menu items from our fall-winter menu will surely be helpful to other Trip Advisor readers travelling during that time of the year.

Our Spring/Summer menu has just debuted, so we hope to welcome you back again soon to try that out as well. I know since you enjoyed our vegetarian item, the stuffed butternut squash, you will certainly enjoy the stuffed yellow pepper with faro pilaf and spring pea hummus – it is delicious!

Staten Island, New York, United States
“Top Service!”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The food was excellent! The service was the best. I have have breakfast, lunch and dinner here and I always am happy there.

• Visited October 2012
Dear Colleen G,

Thank you for your succinct, but wonderful review. Because you are someone who has dined at Nathaniel’s several times and experienced our different menus, your kind review means all that much more to us.

As someone who has frequented Nathaniel’s, I wonder if you have tried our weekly Sunday Jazz Brunch? It is a three-course brunch served at your table, and accompanied by live jazz music. It always proves to be a popular experience.

We hope to see you again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Been to Nathaniel's? Share your experiences!