“Very expensive, good pizza”

Flying Saucer Pizza Company
Ranked #10 of 232 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Flying Saucer Pizza Company landed in downtown Salem on the historic date of August 3, 2012 - directly next to its sister restaurant Gulu-Gulu Cafe. The mission: to abduct traditional pizza and give it a healthy gourmet spin. Our eclectic pizza menu showcases a variety of fresh and local ingredients. With our designer pizzas inspired by available seasonal ingredients, our menu evolves and changes throughout the year. In addition to our great selection of New York style pizza, we serves great salads, beers, wines, and dessert! Charlie the Space Pug, the Flying Saucer's fearless leader, offers peace (and warm bellies) to all who enter - omnivores, vegetarians, vegans, and gluten-intolerant earthlings alike.
Salem, Massachusetts
“Very expensive, good pizza”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

6 of us went for pizza and a few beers. 3 pizzas later and 10 drinks cost us $140 with tip. This place is not cheap. It was not the $5.50 drafts but the $24 pizzas.

In all fairness the pizza is good. Nice crust, good toppings (although they skimp on them) and overall very tasty. I am just not sure you need to pay almost double from what a normal pizza cost.

Beer menu was very good.

Service was excellent.

I guess if you are looking for a funky place to get expensive good pizza this is your place. Same owners as Gula Gula

• Visited July 2013

Danvers, Massachusetts
“Gourmet or Garbage”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I was super disappointed with my most recent experience. This is the second time I have been here and the first time was decent so I decided to splurge ($26 for a pizza is not uncommon here) and come back again when some family and i were looking to get some good pizza. We got a margarita pizza, which they call the serenity and add spinach, a pepper and onion with pepperoni on half, and a cheese pizza.

The crust was decent. We went with the wheat dough because when I had it the first time i came here it was crispy and chewy like it should be, unlike most wheat dough that is just thick and spongy. This time the dough was exactly what I didn't want it to be. It was a super thick crust which tells me the dough was not properly spread out. it was close to half an inch thick. If i wanted greek pizza I could have paid ten bucks per pizza. This dough could not have been freshly made if it was the same recipe they used the last time I was there.

On the serenity/margarita pizza we opted for red sauce instead of the garlic olive oil sauce. Let me just say now that all the pizzas had so much sauce that they were almost not edible. The sauce was thick and pasty like they used straight tomato paste and added way too much italian spice blend. On this pizza it was especially unappetizing because they basically layer the entire pizza with basil, spinach, and 11 small slices of tomato. Then they say on the menu that they use fresh mozzarella on this pizza which they did not. They sprinkled regular shredded mozzarella on a margarita pizza that cost me $23 because they charged me for the red sauce as a topping. My girlfriend is a vegetarian and rarely eats cheese and would normally love something like this as she gets it almost every time we get pizza and even she said it was not good. Hard to mess up a margarita pizza but they did it at the flying saucer on this night.

The pepper onion and pepperoni pizza was much more of the same. HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT!!! The pizza cost me $21 because it was $2 per topping. I didn't count but every slice did not have pepper and onion on it and the half with pepperoni probably had 6 to 8 pepperoni's on it. If you are gonna charge me this much for a pizza give me some toppings please. they probably used less than a quarter of a pepper and an onion on this pizza and were super skimpy on the cheese. Now let me say the good pizza shouldn't have tons of cheese but when you have a half inch of spongy gross crust and an ocean of thick, pasty sauce as I mentioned earlier, it makes it hard to eat a pizza with light cheese and no toppings.
this is my favorite combination on pizza and it is simple. Total disaster.

Now cheese is impossible to mess up. Not at Flying Saucer. All things I already said were the issues. Pools of sauce by the crust, thick crust made with old dough, and not enough cheese. Cover the pizza with cheese if your charging $15 for it. There is no reason for charging that much for a cheese pizza. If you are not buying imported cheese, growing the tomatoes out back, and grinding the wheat daily to make the flour for the dough your just ripping people off. None of this is happening here. Add that to the fact that they told us 35 mins for pickup and the pizza was definitely sitting for a while and it was just a bad experience.

I do not care about paying for quality because I believe that fresh, high quality ingredients make a huge difference when making any dish but when I pay $60 for three pizzas I expect some seriously good pizza. This was not good pizza. If I had not ordered it so late I would have returned it. I still have 1.5 pizzas worth of slices sitting in the fridge because no one liked the pizza. Good pizza would have been gone in this house.

This place should practice what they preach on the website. This was not New York style pizza, it was not fresh high quality ingredients, and it was not gourmet. It actually will probably end up being garbage because I don't think anyone is eating those extra slices.

• Visited July 2013
Ajax, Ontario
“Unexpected out of this world experience”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Simply put this was the best pizza we've ever had, the decor was fun, our waitress was great, overall it was an excellent experience for a place we just ran into to get out of the rain. We can't stop raving about both the pizza and the experience.

• Visited June 2013
“Funky pizza place”
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here while visiting Salem. It was a cool, unexpected pizzeria. Our waitress was new and your could tell she was extremely nervous and unexperienced but very nice. She tryed her hardest though she did forget a couple of things. We order a Hawaiian pizza which was amazing then we ordered a desert pizza which was good but a little undercooked. It was a very fun experience.

• Visited March 2013
Newburyport, Massachusetts
“best tasting pizza in Salem”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

In my opinion, this pizza crust, sauce and fresh toppings edge out the competition. I like my pizza sauce a bit rustic and spicier rather then sweet which is the problem I have with the pizzarias in Salem. Their sauce is noticably sweet and ruins the pizza for me - especially since I am diabetic type 2. The Flying Saucer has a very creative and fun menu to choose from. Delivery is free too. We ordered Starbuck Pizza (sm $11 lg $19) red sauce, mozz, asiago, pineapple, jalapenos, canadian bacon. Also a Gledi Prime (sm.$12 lg.$21) red sauce, mozz, asiago, sausage, prosciutto, salami, bacon, scallions. GREAT JOB !!! Vegetarian, Vegan, Salads and Dessert Pizza also available.

• Visited May 2013