“Excellent menu/excellent service”

Cuisines: International
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent menu/excellent service”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

On a visit to the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem I was delighted to find the Garden Restaurant. I took advantage of the weather to enjoy my lunch in the garden and it was perfect.

The meal choices were varied and interesting. I chose the poached salmon with spring vegetables with a fruit and cheese plate for dessert. Excellent!

The meal was great but the service was what really put this restaurant over the top. Excellent! It was the perfect way to spend a sunny June afternoon.

• Visited June 2014
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Garden Restaurant, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Peggy S,

Thank you for your review of the Garden Restaurant. I’m pleased you found our restaurant and that you enjoyed dining outside in the beautiful weather we have been having. I will be certain to pass along your compliments to Chef Rhiannon and to our wonderful service team.

We hope to see you again soon!

Newburyport, Massachusetts, United States
“Wonderful lunch at PEM”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

My wife and I visited the Peabody Essex Museum today which we do several times a year. They have a fine restaurant with inside and outside dining in a lovely garden. We both had really good sandwiches. But the standout was the carrot-ginger-coconut soup. Amazing! All three flavors mingled well and they gave us the basic recipe which we will try to make a home. I love the PEM and I highly recommend their restaurant.

• Visited May 2014
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Garden Restaurant, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Kincade2315,

Thank you for your lovely review of the Garden Restaurant at the Peabody Essex Museum. As you mentioned, the Garden offers a beautiful atmosphere inside and out in the garden, which at this time of year is the perfect place for a nice lunch. I’m pleased you and your wife enjoyed dining with us, and that you enjoyed the new carrot- ginger-coconut soup so much that you’ll be making it at home—a true compliment to our restaurant and to our Chef! I will be certain to share your kind words with her and the rest of the Garden team.

If you send us an email we will happily send you the complete recipe. You can reach us at info@HawthorneHotel.com and just write “Attention: Juli Lederhaus” and Re: Garden Soup Recipe and mention the recipe you desire.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Waltham, Massachusetts
“Relaxing and upscale”
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

This was a nice place for lunch as part of my visit to the Peabody Essex Museum.

It's hidden away in the museum. It was light, inviting and upscale without being pretentious. The staff were attentive and friendly. The menu had a nice European flare at reasonable prices.

It's a nice place for brunch for museum visitors. The food was tasty, well prepared and served with pride. It's more of a brunch place and not really for kids but that's its charm. I'd come back anytime I'm visiting the museum. I'm sure it'll be nice when the garden patio is open.

A very nice place.

HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Garden Restaurant, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Shadow328,

Thank you for your review of the Garden Restaurant at the Peabody Essex Museum. I’m pleased that you found this “hidden gem.” As you described, the Garden offers not only a relaxing atmosphere in which to enjoy lunch, but an excellent menu and friendly staff.

With the lovely weather this past weekend, we had our outdoor tables filled with people enjoying the sun. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Hawthorne Catering at PEM
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Excellent place for lunch”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I recently took a visitor from Britain up to look around Salem, and we were visiting the Peabody Essex Museum when it came time for us to have something for lunch. Of the two choices in the museum, we decided upon the more formal setting of the Garden Restaurant over the Cafe and were delighted with the lunch we had here. I had an excellent fruit and cheese plate; my friend had quiche. Both lunches were fresh, attractively presented, and quite ample. Like many museum restaurants, it has a sophisticated menu, but I would judge it to be a cut above most museum restaurants. The settting was serene and attractive, and the service was gracious and efficient. I am happy to have discovered the Garden Restaurant and will certainly plan to go there when I return to Salem.

• Visited April 2014
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Garden Restaurant, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear eddytor,

Thank you for your lovely review of the Garden Restaurant. We are pleased that you and your guest appreciated the Garden's quiet atmosphere, and that our menu proved enjoyable to you both. I will be certain to pass along your compliments to our staff and Chef.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Methuen, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Food & Atmosphere”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My daughter and I recently enjoyed a lovely day starting at the Peabody Essex Museum followed by lunch in the Garden Restaurant which is adjacent to the museum. What a pleasant surprise! Although there were tables inside, It was a lovely autumn day so we decided to have lunch outside in the courtyard. The food was amazing from soup to appetizers to entrees to dessert -- they hit it out of the park. I have been raving about it ever since and will certainly return the next time I'm in the Salem area. Kudos!

• Visited October 2013
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Garden Restaurant, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Donna O,

Thank you for your review of the Garden Restaurant. The Garden is often referred to as the hidden gem of Salem, and we are pleased that you found it! We have been lucky to have a beautiful fall season, and it’s wonderful you had the opportunity to dine outside.

I’m glad you enjoyed each part of your meal, and will be certain to pass along your compliments to Chef Rhiannon.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon