“Great tour”

Salem Smugglers' Tour
Ranked #21 of 32 Tours in Salem
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Tales from the books "Salem Secret Underground: The History of the Tunnels in the City" and "Sub Rosa." Tales about the real murder behind the game Clue and how it led to an unaccounted for presidential assassination. Learn how Salem was behind the history of our national banking system. Tales of George Peabody and his bank we know as JP Morgan. Learn how JPMorgan Chase continues Peabody's economic cycles of economic depression every 20 years since 1837. Thomas Perkins, the man who started his Forbes nephews in his opium empire. Learn about the first tax revolt in America and how it led to the Witchcraft Hysteria. Charles Bulfinch, the builder of Boston who in 1785 started a public works project which created the Back Bay Neighborhoods by hiding tunnel and hill dirt in the mud flats of the Charles River. A project emulated in Salem by the son of America's first millionaire to dig three miles of tunnels to avoid Jefferson's custom duties. Information on this tour has inspired Janet Evanovich and Carol Perry mysteries set in the tunnels and the TV show the Librarians. Along the way you will see images of the tunnels, orbs, vintage Victorian and turn of the century Salem on our tablet.Plus you will hear some tantalizing and scary ghost stories only unique to this tour.
Reviewed January 11, 2016

fantastic tour very knowledgeable guide really brought it to life, we were the only people on the tour due to how close to Christmas it was and it was a true treat

3  Thank sean s
Management response:Responded June 7, 2017

Thank you for braving a cold day!!!

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"architecture"
"photos"

Reviewed July 16, 2015 via mobile

Chris was awesome, he really know almost everything about all the place, any detail he can tell you about it. Too much historical facts about the town that almost the people of Salem didn't know and he tells you make you feel great. Take the tour with Chris you will never regrets.

4  Thank Luis S
Management response:Responded June 7, 2017

It was great spending time with you. Hope to see you soon!!!

Reviewed June 12, 2015 via mobile

Chris knows a lot about the history of Salem and is passionate about sharing it's story. I was lucky enough to have a private tour on a beautiful day in April. He has crawled around many cool places under this town and has some pictures, facts, and tales to tell of these streets, it's people, and the tunnels that connected them. I was impressed enough with the sample of what I heard and saw that I purchased his book after the tour and have enjoyed digging in more to his explorations. I definitely recommend Chris if you're interested in a thorough historical tour. He also pointed me toward some great food recommendations and other things to do the rest of my time in Salem. 5 stars!

5  Thank Jeff V
Management response:Responded June 7, 2017

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

Reviewed February 24, 2015

I'm from Ireland, this tour was organised by my aunt who is from Boston and I cannot speak highly enough of how informative, interesting and detailed the tour is. Chris the tour guide is an absolute hero, he did the tour for us during a blizzard and it was still of the highest quality. If you plan on visiting Salem I would highly recommend getting in touch with Chris for this Tour. I also purchased his book which he also signed for me. A gentleman and a truly fantastic tour

5  Thank Conorshirley
Management response:Responded June 7, 2017

I hope you enjoyed the book! Look me up if you are ever back across the pond...

See more reviews
Reviewed November 9, 2014

Our Guide Chris is very knowledgeable about the history of Salem and its Tunnel connections. No Tunnels though, no longer part of the tour, the webpage needs to be update to let viewers know there are no underground tunnels to visit, but he provided photos through his I Pad which helped explained some of his stories, as well as, showing us where the tunnels would be located. Way different than the typical walking tours that Salem offers, it was just him, myself and my son and it last longer, 80 minutes. A little expensive, but for the length of time given on the walking tour and a thorough history talk, it was well worth it. I just recommend anyone looking into this tour, just ask to keep the group small, so you can hear and see his photos. The other walking tours we saw had over 20 people in the groups, the smaller the better. Really enjoyed this tour, learned a ton of new things about Salem's past other than witches.

4  Thank veronica452

Been to Salem Smugglers' Tour? Share your experiences!