“Learned a lot! Highly recommended. ”

Salem Smugglers' Tour
Ranked #21 of 35 Tours in Salem
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Salem' Most Historic Tour that goes beyond the Witch Hysteria. The tour that excites you with the roots of today's news stories and the inventions you use daily! It tells you all the secrets in history they do not want you to know... Learn how Salem has shaped our relations with England, our Constitution, our national banks, and the current opioid crisis. Hear about the real murder behind the game Clue, a drunken elephant, the filming of Hocus Pocus, H.P. Lovecraft, Tesla, and real pirates who have shaped our government through 3 miles of smuggling tunnels. Be amazed at which presidents walked through our tunnels, which one was refused, and which ones were assassinated by men in Salem. Did you know men from Salem tried secession with those in Connecticut before the Civil War and the how that went terribly wrong before an age without instant communication? Did you know there was a second Witchcraft Hysteria? Salem Is More Than Witches!
Reviewed June 12, 2015 via mobile

Chris knows a lot about the history of Salem and is passionate about sharing it's story. I was lucky enough to have a private tour on a beautiful day in April. He has crawled around many cool places under this town and has some pictures, facts, and tales to tell of these streets, it's people, and the tunnels that connected them. I was impressed enough with the sample of what I heard and saw that I purchased his book after the tour and have enjoyed digging in more to his explorations. I definitely recommend Chris if you're interested in a thorough historical tour. He also pointed me toward some great food recommendations and other things to do the rest of my time in Salem. 5 stars!

5  Thank Jeff V
Management response:Responded June 7, 2017

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!
Cheers,
Chris

Reviewed February 24, 2015

I'm from Ireland, this tour was organised by my aunt who is from Boston and I cannot speak highly enough of how informative, interesting and detailed the tour is. Chris the tour guide is an absolute hero, he did the tour for us during a blizzard and it was still of the highest quality. If you plan on visiting Salem I would highly recommend getting in touch with Chris for this Tour. I also purchased his book which he also signed for me. A gentleman and a truly fantastic tour

5  Thank Conorshirley
Management response:Responded June 7, 2017

I hope you enjoyed the book! Look me up if you are ever back across the pond...
Cheers,
Chris

Reviewed November 9, 2014

Our Guide Chris is very knowledgeable about the history of Salem and its Tunnel connections. No Tunnels though, no longer part of the tour, the webpage needs to be update to let viewers know there are no underground tunnels to visit, but he provided photos through his I Pad which helped explained some of his stories, as well as, showing us where the tunnels would be located. Way different than the typical walking tours that Salem offers, it was just him, myself and my son and it last longer, 80 minutes. A little expensive, but for the length of time given on the walking tour and a thorough history talk, it was well worth it. I just recommend anyone looking into this tour, just ask to keep the group small, so you can hear and see his photos. The other walking tours we saw had over 20 people in the groups, the smaller the better. Really enjoyed this tour, learned a ton of new things about Salem's past other than witches.

4  Thank veronica452
Reviewed October 21, 2014

Me & a group of friends from upstate ny (jewish alps) stayed recently in Salem at The Inn @ 116. Feeling the Halloween alure one evening we decided to partake in a local tour. We chose Salem Tunnel Tour. What a marvelous choice that was.
If you do not like history or
learning things I suggest you do not go on this tour, unlike previous reviewers who should have stayed home and watched tv.
Request Marijka to be your guide, cuz I wouldn't mind being trapped in the tunnels with her.

2  Thank trenchburrows
See more reviews
Reviewed October 19, 2014

We booked this tour on Saturday October 18 at 4:00 pm and our guide was Chris, the author of Salem Secret Underground; the History of the Tunnels in the City. After chatting briefly and setting the background of Salem of the days gone by, we set out on our tour. Chris' insight into the history of the city, with many accompanying photographs, and the tunnels he has so thoroughly researched was amazing as he explained the networking and the skullduggery behind the tunnels and giving us a perspective of Salem we had never seen before. Walking above the tunnels and seeing the areas we were discussing gave us a whole new appreciation of what we see as we walk the city as we have done for years. The pictures he has taken are incredible and add to the mystery of the city's tunnels. Ghost stories and stories of plotting and murder abound and are as intriguing as the denial of many people of the tunnels very existence. Our time went quickly as we were fascinated by what we learned. If you have taken tours of Salem before, you've never quite seen Salem like this!! This is a must for a true historical perspective of Salem's beginnings through current day. We purchased Chris' book at the end and are anxious to read it. Thank you Chris for an awesome time. We truly appreciate the time you spent with us!! Greg and Susan Walsh, Concord, NH

4  Thank Greg W

Been to Salem Smugglers' Tour? Share your experiences!