Open today: 12:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Review Highlights
Braving the storm

After eleven hours braving a Nor'Easter and being completely soaked to the bone, my group was... read more

Reviewed October 29, 2018
stihlworking570
Wapwallopen, Pennsylvania
Interesting tour!

This tour was very informative and interesting! We learned way more about Salem and events that... read more

Reviewed October 17, 2018
Lindsay S
via mobile

All reviews guide chris witch trials murder tunnel tales history
Selected filters
Reviewed February 24, 2015

I'm from Ireland, this tour was organised by my aunt who is from Boston and I cannot speak highly enough of how informative, interesting and detailed the tour is. Chris the tour guide is an absolute hero, he did the tour for us during a blizzard and it was still of the highest quality. If you plan on visiting Salem I would highly recommend getting in touch with Chris for this Tour. I also purchased his book which he also signed for me. A gentleman and a truly fantastic tour

Date of experience: February 2015
5  Thank Conorshirley
Management response:Responded June 7, 2017

I hope you enjoyed the book! Look me up if you are ever back across the pond...
Cheers,
Chris

Reviewed November 9, 2014

Our Guide Chris is very knowledgeable about the history of Salem and its Tunnel connections. No Tunnels though, no longer part of the tour, the webpage needs to be update to let viewers know there are no underground tunnels to visit, but he provided photos through his I Pad which helped explained some of his stories, as well as, showing us where the tunnels would be located. Way different than the typical walking tours that Salem offers, it was just him, myself and my son and it last longer, 80 minutes. A little expensive, but for the length of time given on the walking tour and a thorough history talk, it was well worth it. I just recommend anyone looking into this tour, just ask to keep the group small, so you can hear and see his photos. The other walking tours we saw had over 20 people in the groups, the smaller the better. Really enjoyed this tour, learned a ton of new things about Salem's past other than witches.

4  Thank veronica452
Reviewed October 21, 2014

Me & a group of friends from upstate ny (jewish alps) stayed recently in Salem at The Inn @ 116. Feeling the Halloween alure one evening we decided to partake in a local tour. We chose Salem Tunnel Tour. What a marvelous choice that was.
If you do not like history or
learning things I suggest you do not go on this tour, unlike previous reviewers who should have stayed home and watched tv.
Request Marijka to be your guide, cuz I wouldn't mind being trapped in the tunnels with her.

2  Thank trenchburrows
Reviewed October 19, 2014

We booked this tour on Saturday October 18 at 4:00 pm and our guide was Chris, the author of Salem Secret Underground; the History of the Tunnels in the City. After chatting briefly and setting the background of Salem of the days gone by, we set out on our tour. Chris' insight into the history of the city, with many accompanying photographs, and the tunnels he has so thoroughly researched was amazing as he explained the networking and the skullduggery behind the tunnels and giving us a perspective of Salem we had never seen before. Walking above the tunnels and seeing the areas we were discussing gave us a whole new appreciation of what we see as we walk the city as we have done for years. The pictures he has taken are incredible and add to the mystery of the city's tunnels. Ghost stories and stories of plotting and murder abound and are as intriguing as the denial of many people of the tunnels very existence. Our time went quickly as we were fascinated by what we learned. If you have taken tours of Salem before, you've never quite seen Salem like this!! This is a must for a true historical perspective of Salem's beginnings through current day. We purchased Chris' book at the end and are anxious to read it. Thank you Chris for an awesome time. We truly appreciate the time you spent with us!! Greg and Susan Walsh, Concord, NH

4  Thank Greg W
Reviewed August 25, 2014

First , I'm a Salem resident born and raised and have known about some of the tunnels for most of my life. We decided to take the tour as a group looking for something fun to do after food and drinks. The guide and meeting spot was easy and convenient to find and being a Sunday, parking was plentiful and free. The tour made frequent stops at historic locations and covered in detail the history and, of course, the tunnels underneath the building. Most of which I had no idea existed but made plenty of sense once explained. I found the length of the tour to be just right. Not to long but worth the price of admission. About an hour. The guide was obviously knowledgeable and friendly. He was happy to answer any questions we had. Overall a fun experience and you learn a thing or two. I would recommend this both residents and visitors.

Date of experience: August 2014