“Great learning experience”

Salem Smugglers' Tour
Ranked #21 of 35 Tours in Salem
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Salem' Most Historic Tour that goes beyond the Witch Hysteria. The tour that excites you with the roots of today's news stories and the inventions you use daily! It tells you all the secrets in history they do not want you to know... Learn how Salem has shaped our relations with England, our Constitution, our national banks, and the current opioid crisis. Hear about the real murder behind the game Clue, a drunken elephant, the filming of Hocus Pocus, H.P. Lovecraft, Tesla, and real pirates who have shaped our government through 3 miles of smuggling tunnels. Be amazed at which presidents walked through our tunnels, which one was refused, and which ones were assassinated by men in Salem. Did you know men from Salem tried secession with those in Connecticut before the Civil War and the how that went terribly wrong before an age without instant communication? Did you know there was a second Witchcraft Hysteria? Salem Is More Than Witches!
Reviewed August 25, 2014

First , I'm a Salem resident born and raised and have known about some of the tunnels for most of my life. We decided to take the tour as a group looking for something fun to do after food and drinks. The guide and meeting spot was easy and convenient to find and being a Sunday, parking was plentiful and free. The tour made frequent stops at historic locations and covered in detail the history and, of course, the tunnels underneath the building. Most of which I had no idea existed but made plenty of sense once explained. I found the length of the tour to be just right. Not to long but worth the price of admission. About an hour. The guide was obviously knowledgeable and friendly. He was happy to answer any questions we had. Overall a fun experience and you learn a thing or two. I would recommend this both residents and visitors.

5  Thank MFPROS

Reviewed November 13, 2013

The website (and pics on it) suggest you'll be touring through tunnels. Not so. Most of them are filled in or blocked off. Makes sense because you would be able to enter other people's houses if they were open. You do get to follow along the path of a bunch of them and see some of the entrances. It's also a interesting tour about the history of Salem. Overall worth it but sorry, no tunnels

2  Thank hytman10
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I found this tour to be really interesting, going the weekend before Halloween also added some cool atmosphere to Salem. Amazing to see everyone if costume. The guide was very knowledgable about the tour and had some pictures for us all to see.

I misread the tour itself and I thought we were going in the tunnels itself, I did this as a Groupon voucher but it's worth the cost without the voucher. A must see attraction in Salem.

2  Thank DawnM1982
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This tour was not at all what it sounds like. We went into NO tunnels, but instead wandered around the most common areas of Salem while Chris rambled on about a ton of different families with no clear correlation, as well as tell us about his conversations with ghosts. He also started the tour by trying to get everyone to buy his children's books.There is no clear meeting place to start, but he instead has you wait in the corner of a dark park to get started. The tour was far too long to hold our attention, and the lack of continuity made it very hard to follow. Overall I would not do it again and I don't recommend it to others.

5  Thank HTip
See more reviews
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Excellent tour. The guy giving the tour is very knowledgeable and clearly very passionate about the town and its history. Although we didn't actually walk inside any tunnels, his enthusiasm more than made up for it. We were shown various entrances, photos taken inside them, and given detailed descriptions of them. He also made some amusing little observations along the way, and recounted some anecdotes of his past that related to the history. He's like a walking encyclopedia and has a good energy about him. Overall it was a great experience!

Management response:Responded June 7, 2017

I am glad you enjoyed the tour after all!!!
Cheers,
Chris

Been to Salem Smugglers' Tour? Share your experiences!