“Consistently great”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Boston, MA
“Consistently great”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

My wife and I have been to Bella Verona many times, but have yet to write a review...so here goes. Bella verona is a small (maybe 10-15 tables) trattoria in the heart of Salem. Located on Essex Street, across from the Hawthorne Hotel, the location attracts locals as well as travelers. We have always had a pleasant experience at Bella. All pasta is house-made and cooked perfectly al dente. Their specials are consistently great, and presented on a small chalk board that the wait-staff bring right to your table to explain the night's offerings.

The Staff i always friendly and attentive. They are always close by (probably because of the size of the space!) and offer great service.

Reservations are STRONGLY recommended as the popularity and small size of the space play against getting a table as a walk-in.

I would have given Bella 5 stars except for the claustrophobic nature of the space. the tables are set very close together, and the decor is very dark. I wouldn't let this get in the way of trying Bella V...the food and service make up for the tight quarters!

• Visited December 2013

“A place I expect we will return to often”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Bella Verona is one of several small Italian restaurants in Salem. It is on Derby Street near the Hawthorne Hotel. It had been on our "to do" list since our arrival in Salem in September. It is a "trattoria"...its dining room is small, cozy...done in a sort of Italian garden style...dark woods...low lighting...low ceilings...not a lot of room between tables. But surprisingly intimate. We carried on a steady and pleasant conversation throughout the meal, almost entirely unaware of and certainly unbothered by diners seated around us. Very good wine list. The wait staff was uniformly pleasant and solicitous of our needs. Bread with olive tapenade for starter. The tapenade was good but not exceptional. The bread ok...but not good. Lots of specials, but a robust regular menu as well. Italian style onion soup with chicken base and a rich, almost creamy broth....very different from its French onion cousin. My wife and sister both thought it delicious. I had SALCICCIA ALLA PROVENZALE CON TAGLIATELLE (Sausages with mushrooms, garlic and tomatoes over spaghetti) as a main. It was superb. I would like to know where they buy their sausage! And the pasta sauce....a rich, creamy tomato with perfectly al dente pasta. On the other hand, my wife found The Insalata Bella Verona (potatoes, mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, eggs and grilled chicken) somewhat disappointing. It was certainly large enough. She brought half of it home. The cheese and tomatoes and potatoes were fresh and cheerfully arranged. It was the grilled chicken that dragged the dish down. The chicken was over cooked and dried out..a distraction rather than a complement to an otherwise pleasant dish.

Nevertheless, the atmosphere, the wine list, the reserved enthusiasm of the wait staff, and the variety of pasta offerings mark this a place I expect we will return to often on cold winter days and warm summer nights when we simply want someone else to do the cooking for a change.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank Rbrtgldstn
Marlboro, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My wife and I eat here the first night of our visit. Ireally was not expecting the restaurant to be as good as it was. It has about 15 tables so it small, but the food was excellent. I had the homemade pumpkin ravioli's and they were great. Iwish I had antother bowl right now! I also had the cannoli's for desert and they were fresh and were also very good. My wife started off with the articokes which she raved about all night. She ahd a chicken special for dinner it it was very good.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Joe A
Warwick, RI
“Best restaurant in Salem!”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My wife & I had dinner at Bella Verona last week & it was excellent. We spent a week in Salem & the dinner at Bella Verona was the best we had all week, & we had some pretty good meals. Our favorite dish is still the pasta alla matriciana, & it can be made mild or spicy. We also loved both of our appetizers, the polenta w/mushrooms & stracatelli soup (Italian egg drop). The service was excellent, the atmosphere is charming, great house wine & I loved the fact that they had Aperol as an apertivo, it’s one of my favorites.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank JCF-RI
new york, ny
“Excellent dinner”
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

We went here both nights of our stay in Salem. The salads were very good as is the lemon chicken. My husband loved the pasta with rabbit. They were very accommodating to our fussy ten year old and made her a special plate of ham and olives. Service is great. Second night the steak special was terrible. Drowned in awful sauce. Was wrong thing to order! Overall lovely spot.

Visited October 2013