“Birthday Dinner”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 25, 2012

When my husband asked where I wanted to go for my birthday dinner, I didn't hesitate to answer "Bella Verona"! He usually prefers a high end steakhouse. We had reservations for 7 and were about 15 minutes early. We were seated promptly. By 7:15, the place was packed & they had to turn people away. I highly recommend making a reservation. As usual, the food was delicious!!! The service seemed a little off tonight. Slow & not attentive but pleasant & knowledgeable as always. I wish it was closer because I can't wait to go back.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is a very small, family run Italian restaurant. It is hard to get reservations in the summer because it is popular and there aren't many tables. It is just like many of the small, family run places one finds in Italy. The food was terrific and the service outstanding. We will definitely return.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Bella Verona is almost too good to be true. But having dined here for more than a decade, I can say that it has never missed a step. It's like visiting an elegant, cozy home in Northern Italy that's tucked cozily into downtown Salem MA. Service is impeccable. Staff anticipate your wishes and are warm and attentive. My spouse and I savored an outstanding dinner last night: the olive tapenade with olive oil and a subtle touch of anchovies, spread on warm bread. Appetizers: grilled polenta topped with succulent shrimp and spicy tomato sauce, plus baked artichokes. Dinners: linguine tossed with calamari and scallops in lemon-flavored olive oil; veal stew with pappardelle pasta. Desserts: panna cota with raspberry sauce and homemade cannoli. Occasionally, rare treats appear on the menu: our favorites, rabbit ragout and veal oso bucco. In a city of many restaurants, this one is a priceless gem.

1  Thank annie279
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stopped by the night of Hurricane Sandy - - the place was completely empty (so many people had cancelled their reservations due to the storm). As soon as we sat down, the power went out; and the staff did not miss a beat. The owner came out and charmed us as only a true Italian man can, all the while feeding us the most exquisite pumpkin ravioli and veal with mushrooms... The tiramisu was the best I've ever eaten - the marscapone cheese was perfection! It was a truly memorable evening, charming on all fronts!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great dining here. Service exceptional and the food was amazing. Authentic, warm and cozy, perfect. Make a reservation it's only small. I went to Salem for the witches history but I will remember it for Bella Verona.