“Great place - eccentric advertising”
Review of Lobster Shanty

Lobster Shanty
Ranked #9 of 236 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner
Description: We are a local dive bar that secretly has class. Great food, great service all served in a very casual atmosphere with absolutely no pretense.We're a little place with a big heart. The Shanty has been serving the Good People of Salem for 30 years and is a local institution.We welcome anyone who wants to come and relax with us. This is one place where you can let your freak flag fly. Our patio allows well-behaved dogs, we even have a doggie menu. Don't worry about bringing water bowls, we've got some.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Great place - eccentric advertising”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

We came on this place whilst walking round Salem, the advertisement board outside made funny reading but the self deprecating things on it should not put you off. This is a great place for an informal lunch

Visited June 2014

“Great lobster rolls!”
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

My hubby has been obsessed with trying the lobster shanty since seeing it on "diners, drive-ins and dives"! We were finally in Boston on business and got to make the quick 40 min drive to Salem. We were there during an arts festival and the streets were packed with people and lots of dogs! We had to wait about a 1/2 hour but we sat at the bar and had a few beers. There seemed to be mostly locals inside. We were seated outside and we had a great seat for people/dog watching. There were also several dogs laying at their owners feet while they ate. The wait staff actually brought them bowls of water. This seems to be a very dog friendly area. Anyway back to the food: we tried the poutine, and the chowder which were both very good, I had never had poutine so I can't compare it to the "real thing" but I thought it was good. The lobster rolls hubby got Connecticut and I got traditional. Both were really great with large amounts of lobster! French fries were nothing special and they had run out of the sweet potato fries so we didn't get to try them. Overall we thought everything was great and we would definitely go back if we were in the neighborhood!

Visited June 2014
Chaguanas, Trinidad and Tobago
“Totally unsanitary and disgusting!”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

This was my first visit to Salem, Ma and it was specifically for Halloween. I went to The Lobster Shanty for take out dinner on October 31, 2013 as I heard their food is good. I placed my order for ribs at the counter and was waiting patiently. I paid while I was waiting as I trusted that the food would have been delivered within reasonable time and with utmost cleanliness. I was looking around at the place when I suddenly look towards the side where the food was being handed over from and was totally disgusted at what I heard. Apparently my box couldn’t close properly because of how they packed the ribs and the girl who attended to me was asking the man behind the counter to fix it and he was telling her to just take her hand and push it in. Totally disgusting and nasty. The girl then looked towards me to see if I was looking and then told him I was right there and he still insisted she use her nasty hands to push it in(I say nasty because she’s dealing with other customers and money). Apparently she was scared of doing it and he decided he was just going to use his hands and push it in. I found this to be very disgusting and nasty for a food business, highly unsanitary. Needless to say, I dumped the food afterwards. There was no way I was going to eat this. If only I had not paid for it before hand I would have told them about it and left. Can’t help but wonder if it’s clearly because I’m not American or Caucasian that I was treated in this way. Will never consider The Lobster Shanty as an option for food again; they should be shut down. This deserves a rating far worse than terrible!

Visited October 2013
3 Thank Sita N
Saint Peters
“Casual Fun in Salem”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

The place looks like a shanty! The servers are extremely casual and friendly. The cioppino was very good and lobster risotto had large chunks of lobster. The local beers and alcohol were clearly marked and that made the visit more fun. We did try the lobstertini - it was very strong...not very much like lobster. I would get more local beer next time. But we did enjoy the claw.

Sidewalk seating was fantastic. We had an enjoyable lunch and would return.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank barkus1968
Memphis, Tennessee
“Nice folks, ok food”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We ate lunch at the Lobster Shanty, after hearing how great the food was. The lobster roll was delicious and the sweet potato fries were ok. Unfortunately the rest of the food was a disaster. My husband ordered a pizza that was ok at best. My 14 year old who will eat anything, couldn't eat his fries they were so greasy. Plus they got both orders wrong. Again, nice folks, and great lobster roll, but if people in your party want " regular " food, this is not a good choice.

• Visited May 2014