Ristorante Gioia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Barton Sq.
Transit: Washington St @ New Derby St (426/455, 450, 451, 455, 456, 459, 465, 468) New Derby St @ Klopp Alley (426/455, 451, 455, 459) New Derby St Opp Klop Alley (426/455, 451, 455, 459)
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The moment I stepped into the dining room I was immediately reminded of my trip to Italy and the decor of the restaurants in Rome. I was out to dinner with friends to celebrate my birthday. The restaurant's atmosphere was relaxing and enjoyable. Food was absolutely superb (ordered the chicken Francese, tasted my friend's piccata). Server was very attentive without interrupting the meal. Well worth the price.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Visited Salem Saturday night before Haloween & checked out the menu at 2 or 3 places before wife & I picked Gioa. We waited 15 minutes and were seated in back of restaurant. Bread was very good but would have been better with oil instead of butter...no big deal. Menu was a bit limited, but we had no problem making selections. I had Chicken Francaise, which was excellent. Wife said her saltimbocca was excellent, also. Service was great, prices were reasonable. Overall, restaurant right up there with several of the good Italian restaurants in Boston's North End.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

It wasn't a bad experience when we dine at this place, but I have to say - quite a few items were not on the menu when we sat down. As we learned their menu was changed, but the website wasn't. We had a family gathering and everyone came prepared what they would like to order (since everyone looked the place up on the website), and as it turned out half of the items were not longer available, including all fish. Also - no kids menu. The interior looked good and the wait staff is friendly, but I won't be back again.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

The restaurant is simple as many restaurants in Italy are. It is in Italy often about the food and the ambience often sucks, but is taken as a given. The same is somewhat the case for this restaurant. Better food than ambience but attentive and friendly service. Being not linked to Salem and intenational travelers loving to dine out in fancy places, we were not disappointed with regards to the taste and quality of the food (pasta's). It is too bad that also here, like in so many restaurants in the US the size of the portions is beyond what humans need for breakfast+lunch+dinner. Having to eat this you have 2 choices: get obesed or add to a global waste problem. We would not select the restaurant to celebrate anything but it is a good selection as an alternative for a nice and tasty meal at home.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Had all good intentions in writing a good review. Well can't complain about the service. We had a very attentive waitress who was prompt, and can't complain about her service. It was the food that was a disappointment.

We were given bread and butter, the bread was light, like they took it out of the oven before it finished baking, but still tasted fine. The fried calamari, was tough, but a good sauce.

My daughter and friend split the shells and meatballs, the shells were from any wholesale store and the meatballs definetly were not homemade. To uniform and too salty, tasted like what I buy to make a quick meal when you feed a ton of kids who don't know the difference between frozen and homemade.

I had the pasta corleone, It was like two separate meals, they grilled chicken breast, cut it up in slices then placed on top of a penne pasta in a roasted garlic cream sauce that had sundried tomatoes and olives. It was like a puntenessca then throw a slab of chicken on top, it was disjointed. The chicken should have been sauted into the sauce in pieces. Looked like chichen you'd put on top of a ceasar salad entree. Both separately tasted fine but together didn't work. My husbands eggplant/chicken parm was fine and my sons pasta with seafood was okay, good size portion. But for $134 with tip, way overpriced. No atmosphere, just walls with decor and a front window, so if you go, sit by the window.
Wine was house wine and wouldn't tell you what brand for $7, and they were out of Italian Beer, hello, Italian restaurant, Italian beer? Won't go back. Too bad, was looking for a new place to dine in Salem.