“Menu was changed - be aware”
Review of Ristorante Gioia - CLOSED

Ristorante Gioia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Barton Sq.
Transit: Washington St @ New Derby St (426/455, 450, 451, 455, 456, 459, 465, 468) New Derby St @ Klopp Alley (426/455, 451, 455, 459) New Derby St Opp Klop Alley (426/455, 451, 455, 459)
Reviewed October 1, 2012

It wasn't a bad experience when we dine at this place, but I have to say - quite a few items were not on the menu when we sat down. As we learned their menu was changed, but the website wasn't. We had a family gathering and everyone came prepared what they would like to order (since everyone looked the place up on the website), and as it turned out half of the items were not longer available, including all fish. Also - no kids menu. The interior looked good and the wait staff is friendly, but I won't be back again.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

The restaurant is simple as many restaurants in Italy are. It is in Italy often about the food and the ambience often sucks, but is taken as a given. The same is somewhat the case for this restaurant. Better food than ambience but attentive and friendly service. Being not linked to Salem and intenational travelers loving to dine out in fancy places, we were not disappointed with regards to the taste and quality of the food (pasta's). It is too bad that also here, like in so many restaurants in the US the size of the portions is beyond what humans need for breakfast+lunch+dinner. Having to eat this you have 2 choices: get obesed or add to a global waste problem. We would not select the restaurant to celebrate anything but it is a good selection as an alternative for a nice and tasty meal at home.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Had all good intentions in writing a good review. Well can't complain about the service. We had a very attentive waitress who was prompt, and can't complain about her service. It was the food that was a disappointment.

We were given bread and butter, the bread was light, like they took it out of the oven before it finished baking, but still tasted fine. The fried calamari, was tough, but a good sauce.

My daughter and friend split the shells and meatballs, the shells were from any wholesale store and the meatballs definetly were not homemade. To uniform and too salty, tasted like what I buy to make a quick meal when you feed a ton of kids who don't know the difference between frozen and homemade.

I had the pasta corleone, It was like two separate meals, they grilled chicken breast, cut it up in slices then placed on top of a penne pasta in a roasted garlic cream sauce that had sundried tomatoes and olives. It was like a puntenessca then throw a slab of chicken on top, it was disjointed. The chicken should have been sauted into the sauce in pieces. Looked like chichen you'd put on top of a ceasar salad entree. Both separately tasted fine but together didn't work. My husbands eggplant/chicken parm was fine and my sons pasta with seafood was okay, good size portion. But for $134 with tip, way overpriced. No atmosphere, just walls with decor and a front window, so if you go, sit by the window.
Wine was house wine and wouldn't tell you what brand for $7, and they were out of Italian Beer, hello, Italian restaurant, Italian beer? Won't go back. Too bad, was looking for a new place to dine in Salem.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stopped in Ristorante Gioia for some Italian food. We were quite pleased with the quality of food and service of the restaurant. We dropped in for an early dinner, since the place opened at 4:30P and we arrived minutes after, we were the only customers in the place. Our waitress was delightful. I can't give this place 5 stars because of the quality and lack of cleanliness of their restroom. After dinner, I stopped by the restroom and not only were 1 of 2 stalls out of order, the other had a lock/handle missing on the door and the inside was completely filthy. I washed my hands with a small bottle of soap liquid on the sink (the soap dispenser wasn't even filled). I was really disenchanted with the whole experience...I really wanted to like this restaurant because of the food and the great service, but after seeing how completely filthy their bathroom was, and knowing they didn't take the time to clean it (remember, we were the first customers of the day) it makes me wonder about the kitchen. I would consider eating there again if we return to Salem, but I might actually check out the restrooms first.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

We went to Ristorante Gioia on recommendation (and a gift certificate) from the Salem Inn. We were very pleased to have ended up at this restaurant!

The atmosphere of Ristorante Gioia is quite lovely. It is quiet, with nice, clean tables and Italian-inspired painting along the wall. While it did seem a little understaffed the night we were there, with only one waitress as far as we could tell, we did not feel neglected at any point. Our server was friendly and helpful. The food was also excellent, quite delicious.

Before our visit to Ristorante Gioia, we'd been talking about going to an Italian restaurant, or some place for pasta, and this place was perfect. We would definitely recommend.