“Eat where the locals eat!”

Red's Sandwich Shop
Ranked #3 of 234 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Located in the Old London Coffee House, which dates back to the 1700s, Red’s Sandwich Shop has been visited by many Celebrities, Congressman, Senators and even First Lady Barbara Bush. A relaxed, friendlly atmosphere in a historic building is the perfect place to join Salem locals for the BEST breafkast and lunch menu in town. The food is delicious, all home-style cooking at pricing so reasonable you almost feel guilty. Having visited numerous restaurants in Salem that charge outrageous pricing for mediocre food, Red's Sandwich Shop is the crown jewel of the city in terms of excellent food, great prices, and a lovely environment with a friendly staff. They offer an extensive breakfast and lunch menu, Dinner Specials, and a daily $6.95 Special.. And when they say roasted turkey, they mean roasted turkey -- whole turkeys are roasted on the premises and carved for your order. In a tribute to Thanksgiving, their Home Style Turkey Sandwich (roasted turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce and gravy) is out of this world! Wonderful specialty items from Chicken Marsala and Chicken Piccata to Chicken Pot Pie are made to order. Soups and chowders made fresh daily. For a variety of sandwiches from open-faced, to club, to roll-ups -- they cannot be beat. Red's is an award-winning restaurant that received the "BEST BREAKFAST ON THE NORTH SHORE" award for 24 years in a row! I cannot rave enough about this restaurant. If you have only one restaruant to visit in Salem, make it Red's.
Lima, Ohio
“Eat where the locals eat!”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Huge portions! Great food! Lots of choices! Bring your huge appetite. Chicken, asparagus and rice and meatloaf meal with mashed potatoes and gravy with vegetables. Wow!

Visited August 2014

Williamsport, PA
“good for a quick bite...”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

The service was quick. The waitresses were friendly. The food was okay. They only take cash; they don't accept debit or credit cards.

• Visited August 2014
Montreal, Canada
“Large portions lacs taste”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

There was a lot of talk of this being the best restaurant for breakfast I had the lobster Benedict and it was quite good. The pancakes were gigantic and lacked taste... just tasted like baking soda & flour and they served it with only fake syrup it wasn't real maple syrup, no fresh fruit on the side , no coffee included with your meal that was separate. My daughter ordered a pancake with strawberries on the side and they look like they were cut yesterday they were soggy strawberries. They cut corners like offering no water no fresh fruits and it was cash only no visa no interact so make sure you have cash on you however the meal was very inexpensive. I love my breakfast so I don't think I'll be returning to this place!

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank kiwina
Chicago, IL
“Best value in town”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Good old fashion diner -- not fancy just good food -- not priced fancy either which works for me. Seemed like most of the local and area retailers eat here. Pancake was the size of a garbage can lid! (Ok maybe SLIGHT exaggeration - but huge) -- highly recommend the Cinnamon French Toast)
One thing to know ahead of time - CASH ONLY ... in my book that's a "so what" and it's still five stars

Visited August 2014
Apex, North Carolina
“You have to eat here!!”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Red's is an experience! When we first saw this place, I figured we were in for a typical sandwhich stop or something. I was completely wrong. This is an old school diner type experience disguised as a sandwhich shop.

We went here for breakfast. If we lived in the area, this would surely be my morning stop. I had a Denver Omelet. It was one of the fluffiest and tastiest Denver omelets that I have had in my life. The wife had the frech toast as something different from the pancakes that they are known for. She really enjoyed the french toast and almost wanted to order to go pancakes after she saw them too!

The reason you must stop at Red's, is because I don't know how long people will be able to have this type of experience. These types of small mom and pop type diners are disappearing fast! When I sat down and the waitress came over, memories from childhood came rushing back to me. I really wish we had this type of diner left in my area. If we are ever travelling through this area, we will go out of our way to stop here!

By the way, bring cash. That's right! They don't take credit cards and that just added to the charm for us :)

• Visited July 2014