“Delicious and inexpensive”

Ranked #3 of 220 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Located in the Old London Coffee House, which dates back to the 1700s, Red’s Sandwich Shop has been visited by many Celebrities, Congressman, Senators and even First Lady Barbara Bush. A relaxed, friendlly atmosphere in a historic building is the perfect place to join Salem locals for the BEST breafkast and lunch menu in town. The food is delicious, all home-style cooking at pricing so reasonable you almost feel guilty. Having visited numerous restaurants in Salem that charge outrageous pricing for mediocre food, Red's Sandwich Shop is the crown jewel of the city in terms of excellent food, great prices, and a lovely environment with a friendly staff. They offer an extensive breakfast and lunch menu, Dinner Specials, and a daily $6.95 Special.. And when they say roasted turkey, they mean roasted turkey -- whole turkeys are roasted on the premises and carved for your order. In a tribute to Thanksgiving, their Home Style Turkey Sandwich (roasted turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce and gravy) is out of this world! Wonderful specialty items from Chicken Marsala and Chicken Piccata to Chicken Pot Pie are made to order. Soups and chowders made fresh daily. For a variety of sandwiches from open-faced, to club, to roll-ups -- they cannot be beat. Red's is an award-winning restaurant that received the "BEST BREAKFAST ON THE NORTH SHORE" award for 24 years in a row! I cannot rave enough about this restaurant. If you have only one restaruant to visit in Salem, make it Red's.
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We were too late for breakfast, which is what they're known for. The lunch menu was extensive and they had several specials which they have displayed so you can see exactly what you are ordering. Everyone is really friendly and helpful. I ordered a turkey, dressing, and cranberry on Texas toast sandwich and my husband had Seafood Pie and both were soooooo good! I highly recommend and next time I'll make sure to be on time for breakfast.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,336)

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Enjoyed a simple breakfast. The staff was very kind. The decor is sweet. The food was not so great. I had lobster eggs benedict. The sauce was tasteless as was the lobster, which I think was grilled?The blueberry pancakes were ENORMOUS and inexpensive, but again, tasteless. The coffee was good...

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Reds is the first place we hit on every trip to Salem. We plan to get to Salem early and eat here. The food is amazing but be ready to eat. I have gotten the pancakes before and completely forgot to NOT get 3 as they are huge! I only got two this time and still couldn't eat it all. Reds is a quaint little place where clearly the locals hangout- so to me thats an indication of great food.

If you travel to Salem, I would advise you to get there early and make sure you have breakfast at Reds.

There is a reason this is #1 in Salem - and once you eat there, you'll realize why.

2  Thank Sean M
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Red's is well known by the locals and was recommended as a nice breakfast spot. It's a typical coffee shop type setting with good cheap eats! We enjoyed our breakfast of eggs and pancakes. The cooks were rocking the grill and our food was quickly served. Would definitely return again.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We were in Salem sightseeing and asked at a local store, where the best place for lunch was. We were directed to Red's Sandwich Shop. When we walked in we could tell that this was a good place to eat, as it was pretty crowded.

We were seated quickly and served our drinks almost immediately. We looked over the menu and our waitress pointed out the day's specials. I asked her what her favorite dish was and was told that the Home Style Turkey was really good. Hubby and I chose that and our daughter went with the Chicken Caesar Salad. The food arrive fast.

The Home Style Turkey was lightly grilled bread with cranberry sauce, fresh sliced turkey breast and stuffing. Just the way I make my sandwiches at home after Thanksgiving!! We had fries on the side and the waitress suggested we have some gravy to dip them in. This was very good turkey gravy, I really felt like I was eating home made food, not standard restaurant fare.

My daughters Chicken Caesar Salad was huge and had a lot of fresh grilled, seasoned, chicken.

I can see why this restaurant is busy. The food and staff are WONDERFUL!!

Don't miss this place if you are in town, but don't wait to go for dinner, they close at 1:00pm on Sundays and 3:00pm the rest of the week.