“Cool spot, good food”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Derby
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The atmosphere here is awesome. We had a Groupon that got us two taco plates, two sides and a dessert to share. We started with some great tequilas - plenty of excellent choices! We ordered mahi mahi and brisket tacos. The mahi mahi was good and the brisket was very good. For sides we got the corn bread and the chile relleno which were incredible. The dessert we chose was the bananarama - a fried banana cheesecake wrapped in a tortilla.

All in all, it was a great night.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Really enjoyed dinner here. The drinks/ food were both really good. the atmosphere was fun. Read some negative reviews regarding the service and they are likely true. Luckily there is enough wait staff running around that I was able to catch someone to help me. Our waiter was definitely pleasant when he arrived at our table the visits were just too & far between. Once he would leave the table he disappeared from sight. I had to ask a waiter taking care of another table twice for water and hot sauce. If they can improve the wait staff they or you have patience & tolerance for average service go.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I went recently with a Groupon certificate I had. We each had an entree, side, and dessert. The initial impression of the place is classy/goth/vampire-kinda' vibe. We definitely liked the feel of the place.

Service was very good and attentive without being overbearing. We had a 7 p.m. reservation on a Friday night, but we arrived almost an hour early (coming in from the airport) and there was no problem being seated upon arrival. It worked out well, as from 7:00 on, the place was quickly filling up. We felt relaxed and were able to take our time and enjoy the evening.

The smoking crushed ice (grapefruit flavored?) with a splash of tequila as a palate cleanser was an interesting touch. We also really enjoyed the chips and salsa (3 kinds of salsas) that was delivered before our orders were taken. My husband had one of the specialty margaritas which was good...they have quite an assortment of tequilas - some we didn't recognize.

The food was pretty good. I wouldnt say it was fantastic, but it was above average and a little on the "fancy" side for presentation and selection (for a Mexican restaurant). I say that in the sense that it was a slightly upscale setting and menu selection, unlike many Mexican restaurants I have been to which lean more toward being a chain (although with good food). Prices were middle of the road/slightly high, but the ambience and service was worth paying a little extra. We would go again, although we might do it on a special occasion as opposed to just a night out (it's a little out of our way, as well). Definitely a fun "date night" kinda' place.

I almost forgot to mention the "surprise" we received with our check. Freshly spun cotton candy with pop rocks in it! Yum. :)

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Dry ice welcome slushy with tequila! (for the appropriately aged patron).
Food was decent although very (needlessly) salty. I got the mahi mahi taco which was tasty but overpowered by salt. The cornbread was addictive and different! It should be called Crackbread!!
The ambiance was dark and slick. Super fun place!
I don't want to spoil the surprise of the parting yummy they bring you, but it's a cool way to say goodby....
Go. Try it.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

What an enjoyable evening.

We arrived a bit early and had a cocktail at the bar. Very nice martini by the way. Still has a lot of the old Strega feel but definitely slanted towards a Mexican theme.

Once seated, Amberly greeted us with a big smile and a freindly manner. We ordered addtional cocktails while perusing the menu. As we read a review of Red Lulu in Northshore Mag, I already had a good idea of my selections. Also, warm nachos and a variety of salsa, were provided along with an in house made hot sauce. A little heat but not close to our usual toxic waste.

I ordered sticky spare ribs for an app. Wow!! lots of different flavors. The cumin a coriander really made the ribs stand out. Also provided were two warm towlels for my messy hands. So much better than the old wash and dried out towelettes normally provided.

As I mentioned how I like my Mexican dishes, hot and spicy, Amberly suggested the pollo asado. My wife ordered the fire grilled salmon. My chicken came out perfectly cooked. The peppers and habenero vinegar provided a very nice "bite" to the overall flavor. My wife's salmon was not prepared as ordered and was immediately taken back and corrected. Amberly was very apologetic. Really no need as she was the messenger but nice follow up. The manager also came over to apologize and make sure my wife's second dish was prepared to her liking. Also a nice follow up. The manager also offered to comp a round of drinks, which was uncessary but very generous.

We split the chocolate bread pudding with coffee ice cream and boy, a great dense serving was offered.

As I travel to Mexico for business frequently, I took a look at the tequila menu. A very nice selection and not jsut your basic Cabo Wabo and Don Julio. I ordered a nice riazul blanco and it was a great finish to a great dining experience.

A great venue with some authentic Mexican food, great service and ambiance, definitely a keeper.