“Something's wrong....”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Derby Street
Transit: Bus #450, 451, 455, 456, 459, 465 are all with in walking distance as well as the commuter rail on the Newburyport/ Rockport Line
Description: The Grapevine would like to invite you to a genuinely unique experience. A newly opened Mediterranean kitchen & wine bar, the Grapevine brings together old world values and a new world vision. Chef Frederick Feliz has been with The Grapevine for three years and passionately creates exceptional Mediterranean fare with an emphasis on local ingredients and slow food.
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We've been going to The Grapevine for years. I'm talking, like 20+ years, since it first opened. Last night my wife and I went to listen to a friend who was performing there. It was on a Monday and it was at the start of Restaurant Week. Like I said before, we'd been going here for a long time; special dinners, celebratory events, important night's out, we've always thought of The Grapevine. The last time we were there was right after the new owners took over. That experience was spoiled by an obnoxious, pretentious, self righteous bar tender/wine sommelier who preached and bored us to death as we tried to enjoy a meal. OK, so now that guy is gone, and we went back. We sat at the bar, so we could listen to the music we came for, and being restaurant week, was offered the special menu. My wife and I opted to split a meal, as we often do. When we asked the bartender about this, she said: "Oh no...we can't do that. The whole point of restaurant week is to offer up a menu at a lower price and it would be too much effort for the money for the kitchen to split up the meal onto two plates." Really? Was she kidding? My wife was shocked! How crazy is that? Just to be sure, she asked: "Are you saying it's too much work to split a salad and an entree onto two plates?" She said that was insane, said we have been customers for years and was ready to leave, and the bartender just nodded, but added that she would ask the kitchen. Well, it took some time before she came back, but she finally did, and in a tone that was just 'perfect', said: "they'll make an exception this time".
Put quite a damper on the whole evening. When the Caesar Salad came out, it was OK, nothing spectacular, but OK. The main dish of pasta bolognese, was, I am happy to say, fabulous. OK, that parts down, and then I asked for a cup of coffee to finish my meal with. Not OK. "Oh, our coffee machine is broken."....Really? It's Restaurant Week where you are trying to introduce your place to new customers.....and your coffee machine is broken?......Needless to say, despite the fact that this place has been great in the past, given the attitude received by this bartender....that's the last time I'll ever set foot in there again.

2  Thank SalemMARC

Reviewed November 3, 2013

My husband and I had gone here for restaurant week a few years ago and just never made it back. We had just gone to Finz that evening and had a terrible experience of being not seated after 45 minutes WITH a reservation and left there. I had remembered that we had had a wonderful meal at the Grapevine and decided to try to see if they could take us with a reservation. We walked right in at 7:45 on a Saturday night and sat right down. We had Cassandra as our waitress and she was just wonderful. I avoid gluten and the restaurant was very accommodating in response to my inquiry to a gluten free menu. They made some great suggestions. For an appetizer, I had the Butternut Squash soup with Chive oil. Just delightful! My husband had the Grilled Clams, my friend had the duo lamb chops and her husband had the Warm Roma Tomatoes. Everyone raved about their choices! For dinner they suggested for me the House Brined & Roasted All Natural Half Chicken with potatoes instead of the gluten filled starch, my husband had the Porchini Ravioli, my friend had the Sopa de Pescado which had a Tomato-Saffron Broth, Local Cod, Clams & Shrimp, Rustic Bread and her husband had the Grilled Flatiron Steak. Everyone LOVED about their dinners! Served in a timely manner I must add, we finished with a couple of chocolate mousse and a creme brulee desserts and what a meal! The waitstaff was really attentive and respectful. I would go back in a minute. I recommend highly!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

After walking around Salem all day and finding all the restaurants with extensive wait times, we decided to eat after we left. Walking to the car on a less crowded street we saw a sign in front of the Grapevine that said "You want to be in here". Well they couldn't have been more right! From the minute we walked in, I knew we made a good choice. The place was full, but not too crowded together. Atmosphere relaxed, classy, casual. The host was able to seat us within minutes. The waitress, Cassandra, provided excellent service without hovering. The Italian chianti (I wish I remembered the name)was a great choice. The food, OMG the food! I had roasted butternut squash soup with a crusty piece of sour dough bread, followed by goat cheese&roasted red pepper stuffed gnocchi with Chunks (yes chunks!) of lobster. The gnocchi was so good! two flavors that can alone be powerful were perfectly blended into this absolutely yummy filling, the pasta, perfect! the sauce (well if I was home I may have licked the bowl!). My guy had a flat iron steak, which was a nice sized portion, perfectly cooked and delicious. We had espresso/cappuccino and some cordials rather than desert. If (I should say when) I return to Salem, this place is on my agenda!

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

The food is delclicious and the service is outstanding! Our server was Carolina and she is excellent! Very attentive, knowledgeable of the menu and drinks. She helped me select the perfect dinner and cocktail! I had the bolognese and it is absolutely delish! I cannot comment on the price as we dined here during the mystery dine around so I didn't see prices. But I would definitely dine there again. The atmosphere is great and they have an outdoor patio that would be great during the nice weather!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We had not been to the Grapevine since it changed ownership late last year. Happy to report that the restaurant serves the same high quality food with excellent service. Carolyn our waitress is marvelous. The menu has been reduced somewhat, but the food is outstanding. The owner came over to introduce himself to make sure that we enjoyed our dinner and to ask if we had any suggestions. Keep doing the something.

1  Thank Lou A