“Bring back George”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Salem, Massachusetts, United States
“Bring back George”
Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

A friend and i stopped by for lunch back in December shortly after they opened. We sat at the bar in the completely empty restaurant. The lunch menu was limited but I had been in for a drink earlier and the French fries looked really good. I went with the French dip and my friend got the BLT. Disgusting. The waiter asked me how I wanted my sandwich cooked which confused me a little. When it came it it was all fat on a stale roll. My friends BLT was on two pieces of thick bread that was drenched in butter or oil and the bacon was so thick he couldn't chew it. We were not charged for the lunch but they still charged us for the sparkling water which I thought was cheap of them. The fries were Okay but not enough to make up for the disgusting food. They did offer us some coupons to come back again but I tossed those out. I think I'll wait until they fix the bugs.

2 Thank Michael C

Hyde Park, New York
“Nothing witchy about this American bistro”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Interesting lunch menu - more sophisticated than expected and yet moderately priced. Friendly staff. In a town with a tourist trap every few yards, this is clearly a local fave providing above-average cuisine and service. Nice wine and beer list.

• Visited April 2012
Boynton Beach, Florida
“Potential to be tapped”
Reviewed March 28, 2012 via mobile

43 Church replaces an old and reliable stand-by, The Lyceum, which for many years offered good albeit not particularly exciting food at somewhat elevated prices. The new owners/managers have spruced up the restaurant a bit and they have changed the menu fairly dramatically. It is now a steak house with prices for some cuts that reqch beyond their league. Service is efficient but neither inviting nor warm. Appetizers (a flatbread pizza and some little neck clams) were fine, albeit uninspired. Our meat entrees (we thought we had ordered the same thing, but two different preparations emerged) were quite good although not spectacular. There is a delay of sorts here that I'd blame on the service which gets in the way of the restaurant's ambitions. Altogether, the meal was certainly pleasant, but there is potential here to do so much more!

1 Thank Psp63
Beverly, Massachusetts
“Disappointing ..”
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Dined during Salem Restaurant week with a group of friends (table of 9) Service was very lack luster .. waited for drink orders to be taken and delivered. Had to flag down a manager to request water. Food was OK, but nothing memorable. Wait staff never returned to our table to ask if we had everything we needed, how were our meals, etc. Ordered a rib eye, but we did not receive a rib eye ... the steak was tender and flavorful, but I suspect it was a piece of sirloin. Poor service and "OK food" equals we will not be returning to this establishment.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank pall48
Boston
“Nice atmosphere”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

This is a lovely restaurant in beautiful Salem and was recommended to us by a person at the PEM. The restaurant has a fireplace that was inviting and cozy. We arrived on a chilly fall night and were welcomed by the hostess and invited to seat early even though the place wasn't opened. The appetizers were very good and the drinks were wonderful. The main courses could of used a little more effort in presentation. Overall we had a good experience.

• Visited November 2011