“Best meals served in any jail in the country....”
Review of The Great Escape - CLOSED

The Great Escape
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Bridge Street
Transit: Commuter rail is across the street.
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Had a fantastic dinner.... we got an appetizer that was out of this world... buffalo mozzarella with tomatoes layered then coated in breadcrumbs and lightly, yet crisply fried.. served with a balsamic reduction. We got Butternut squash raviolis with a brown butter sauce that were right up there with the best we have had. No skimping on the stuffing.. not too sweet, but plenty of butternut squash flavor. The pasta was cooked perfectly. We also had the veal chop (nice and thick), served with garlic mashed and caramelized onions.. ate it down to the bone. No room for dessert, but can't wait to go back.. we saw some desserts on the way out.. looked great. The restaurant is in an old jail house.. pretty neat atmosphere.

Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I came for dinner. There was a 3 1/2 hour wait (make reservations) so we ended up eating at the bar. The food was delicious and drinks outstanding. The Snickertini drink special was awesome! The bar tenders were efficient and friendly. I'll be back soon!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had never been, and someone gave us a coupon as we were walking through town, so we thought we would try. The server (I am sorry! Forgot her name) was excellent! Everything on the menu looked so delicious. We ordered pumpkin beer for all at the table. I devoured the saffron lobster risotto, and wish I could have had more, but I was at the right amount of full. One of my friends ordered the pesto primavera; she is from Amsterdam, and was so please with all the freshly roasted veggies in her dish. The other friend ordered the prosciutto sandwich; there was an insane amount of prosciutto on it - how often can you say that?

I would go back to this restaurant in a heartbeat. Would love for a sunny day so I can sit on their patio, but the inside is very cool prison-like.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had dinner here over the weekend and were very impressed by the place. The restaurant has a great feel to it and the menu did as well. It had what looked like old prison gates or doors throughout the restaurant and some of the art work reminded you of where you were. Loved the Great Escape poster with McQueen!

Our waiter was very nice but definitely seemed stressed. The food was great, I would recommend the steak tips for sure. I also saw the Owner (I recognized him from their Youtube Video) and we quickly introduced ouselves, who was extremely nice and told us a little about the history.

The drinks here were great as well. Our waiter gave us his opinion on a couple which we ordered.

Overall, I really hope this place thrives as it has a great potential!!

Also, I would recommend going to the back of the building and seeing the only fully intact prison cell which available for pics.

1  Thank Sean M
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We chose this restaurant based on the other reviews on Trip Advisor and were not disappointed. The offer free valet parking which is a bonus. The restaurant is in an old jail and they have kept many jail elements as part of the decor. I had the lobster ravioli and my husband had the scallops genovese. Both were very good and I made it a point to tell the waiter something I rarely do. The wine list was good as well. We didn't have room left for dessert so I can't comment on the choices.

My only minor criticism is that our waiter, who was very young, could have described the specials of the night with a little more flair. This is something that comes with time and experience and is not reflected in my rating. We listened to a more seasoned waiter share the specials with a table by us and I wanted to order every special based on his description alone!

Overall, a very enjoyable meal!!