“Can't wait to go back!”
Review of Cafe Polonia - CLOSED

Cafe Polonia
Cuisines: Polish
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I work in Salem, and have wanted to try Cafe Polonia for a long time. I finally did this week, and our party was thrilled with everything, from the service to the appetizers, entrees and dessert. It was about 7 degrees F. when we went in, so the place was not crowded, but the hot mulled wine was just the ticket to warm our stomachs and our hearts. Everything we ordered was, simply put, delicious. Of special note was the Gypsy pancake, which is two huge potato pancakes with authentic goulash in between. By the way--this is the absolute best goulash I've ever had. I will never make it again because mine cannot compare to this. The prices were very reasonable, too. Don't waste time--try this place.

1  Thank KathyIpswich_MA

Reviewed January 1, 2013

In need of perogi? Want some quality stuffed cabbage? Then get your butt to Cafe Polonia, STAT!! The food is authentic Polish - from the smalec with bread to the Hunter's stew - you will not be disappointed. Go hungry because you will need space in your belly for all the deliciousness headed it's way. Try the perogi appetizer bowl (potato and cheese are killer), the Polish plate, and don't miss the coffee!
If you go on Sunday, you'll be serenaded by an accordion player. Nice touch!

1  Thank Kerry Q
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Dined here with spouse on a recent trip to Salem. Wanted something more than seafood so we went for Polish food. Restaurant was quiet when we arrived at 5:00pm, but was very busy by the time we left. Split a spinach salad and a Polish Plate (pierogis, stuffed cabbage, and Hunter's stew). Salad was delicious and platter was simply wonderful! Great flavors. Staff were friendly. Only problem was we were offered a choice of pierogis but not informed they charged more for some. We said "an assortment" so they gave us the more expensive ones. Not cool, but maybe they figured we're tourists and they won't see us again. Ask when you order pierogis which ones cost more. Otherwise we really liked it.

1  Thank Saranger
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Wow, just wow. I had wanted to try this place for months but never got the chance to until one day when I drove up and met my friend for lunch. I was so impressed. I love the decor. The place is pretty big and we had our pick of tables. Our waiter was really nice and explained items on the menu. They have a huge selection of Polish dishes. My friend got one with sausage and I tried the perogies sampler. Hands down the very best perogies that I have ever tasted. Much better than when I attempt to make them at home! They had an interesting selection of beer; my friend tried one from Poland and really liked it. We were in a bit of a hurry so I had to take some of the food home, and it kept wonderfully (I had it the next day). The portions are huge and not too expensive. The only thing that deterred us was that they were slow; I assume it's because they're making everything fresh. When you only have an hour for lunch though then that's a problem. We'll definitely have to plan better and go for a leisurely dinner next time. If you've always wanted to try Polish food then this is the place to go!

1  Thank quiet_wave
Reviewed November 14, 2012

One year separated my first and second visit. My first visit I was very impressed. A year later we spent $150 on dinner for three where it was the food that was lacking and I will not be returning.

The service was excellent, and one of our dinners was very good. However, the salad had a lot of slimy lettuce and was pretty stingy on the other ingredient, the appetizer was tasty but had just been thrown on the plate (it was plated nicely least year), our cabbage roll was not hot, the pork was dreadfully overcooked and had very little cheese (it was stunningly delicious and perfectly cooked last year), and the sangria was expensive (at about 4 glasses to a $28 pitcher full of ice), boring, and had less intoxicating effect than cheap low alcohol beer. Lastly, our bread last year came with butter and pan drippings, but this year we had to ask for bread and it was cold and didn't come with the pan drippings.