“Yummy Polish deli”

Cuisines: Polish
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Try the perogies! made fresh to your liking. Wonderful!! You can also purchase imported foods from Europe that you won't find anywhere else.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Good food but Terrubke service. Avoid the waitress with the bad teeth. She is horrible! She seemed to be nice to the people next to us duo ordered a bottle. I'm Polish. Stay away from the stuffed cs bags. No flavor but the pierogies were great

Reviewed September 30, 2012

What a gem of a place. We just loved it. I had the polish plate and asked for food to be prepared and served in a certain way and it was. My meal was excellent! When my eyes got too big for my stomache, I ordered a lot of food. Thank goodness our server (a Salem University student) told me that what I ordered was way too much. I thanked him for his honesty! My husband had the $5.00 special, a sausage on a bun with a 12 oz. glass of beer (refills were $3) You can't beat that deal with a stick!:) The place was clean and cheerful. The waitstaff attentive and kind. Excellent location and easy to find. The decor of the place was not what I would have expected from a Polish restaurant, but it was lovely nevertheless. We went for dinner at 5:30 and were the only ones in the place, and when we left the place was full...that says something doesn't it? Well done, I will recommend this place to my friends.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stumbled upon Cafe Polonia during a visit to downtown Salem. Confronted with this unexpected option, we ran a quick smartphone check and took the plunge. It turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

The restaurant has a central location off of a small intersection square or mini-plaza. It has a bit of outdoor patio seating, but my son and I opted for indoors. The impression was "clean, cozy, and authentic." The furniture was a rather massive farmhouse style with plenty of Polish decor and paraphernalia. Service was attentive and helpful with recommendations; bathroom was clean.

This is, first and foremost, a meat and potatoes joint, with pierogi, potato dumplings and pancakes, goulash and European sausages as the leading lights. But there are also special preparations of seafood, steak, pork loin, chicken, veal, lamb and duck in addition to some vegetarian salads and cabbage sides. Traditional entrees seem to fall in the $14 to $22 range.

We opted to share the cheese and potato pierogi appetizer and then ordered the Gypsy Pancake and the Potato Dumplings with German red cabbage as our entrees. Both main dishes featured goulash with the potatoes. These traditional preparations were delicious and our portions (as well as those of nearby diners) were extremely generous. We also had a pair of Polish draft beers which were pleasant and a novelty.

Overall, a very enjoyable dining experience. Bring an appetite!

2  Thank trw52
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We're fans of Polish food and were happy to discover a restaurant in Salem (we often visit Polonus Deli when we're in Salem - which is not related to Cafe Polonia). We stopped in for lunch. It wasn't busy (maybe 3 tables with customers). The waitress seemed out of sorts and in a rush. When asked "inside or outside" we said "inside because it's too hot outside". She walked us to the back to a table in full sun by the windows. We asked for another table. She walked us to another table and slammed the menus down and walked off in a huff. At that point we chose not to stay. No matter if she was having a bad day, there was no reason for rudeness to customers. If she'd listened in the first place she would have taken us to a table not in the sun and we might have enjoyed a good Polish meal. Oh well, her loss.