“Great Great food. Smallish but friendly bar. Gets very crowded for a very good reason.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Howling Wolf Taqueria

Howling Wolf Taqueria
Ranked #9 of 229 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: New Mexican cuisine
Danvers, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

We have tried them all. Atmosphere is not much but the food is the best. The howling wolf burrito is is fully spiced without being harshly flavored. This is deepened with crisp bacon inside. Lovely

Salem, Massachusetts
“Popular and Good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

As a local, I can tell you this, Howling Wolf serves good fresh Mexican food at great prices. Sometimes there's live music, and frequently, it's busy and loud. Service can vary enormously depending on how busy the place is, but you won't be disappointed in the food. On our latest visit—six of us—we had a veg burrito, a pollo con chorizo, a chicken burrito, a veg posole, a fish taco, a steak taco, an al pastor taco and various alcoholic drinks, for less than $100 before the tip. I will go again!

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Saint Peter, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“WOW...highly recommended by locals and worth it!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

My wife and I didn't know where we wanted to eat one night while in Salem. After talking to multiple locals from different establishments we tried Howling Wolf as 9 out of 10 recommended this place...I can't wait to come back!!! Wait was long, but worth it...so good! Our waiter made the experience even greater, he could recommend dishes based on each of our tastes and then make "tweaks" to them to make them even better. I wanted to eat more but I was stuffed! Best Mexican I have ever had, and I have gone to many many places.

• Visited August 2013
Massachusetts
“As a restaurant...it's a pretty good bar...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

It had been several years since my last visit to Howling Wolf, when I was SO very dissappointed with the food that I thought wild horses couldn't drag me back in. So, recenly I thought, no the food could not have been as dreary as I recalled and since I was jonesing for Mexican I thought I'd give it another go. My wife and I went down, and it was very busy (again) and were told it would be a 15-20 minute wait. Fair enough. Then a few seats opened at the bar where we sat down. The draft menu looked good, and the bartender was friendly. Ordered a Rising Tide Zephyr on draft from Maine, very tasty, Got some chips and salsa and ordered a few entrees. Nothing fancy - chicken enchiladas. Once again the food was just seriously disappointing. Flavor is all around the edges - garlic salt, lime - but nothing of substance in the meat or the sauce. So...long story short...fool me once...shame on me...fool me twice....

The bar scene was kind of fun though and we enjoyed finishing our beers and then left with no doggie bag. The food's cheap and that's the truth in every respect. May stop in for a beer again, but will never go for the food.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hopkinton, Ma
“5 star service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Stopped here while visiting Salem and we were so glad we did. Restaurant decor was fun and bathrooms were clean. Staff greeted us upon entering and our waiter was awesome. So polite. He knew everything about the menu. Another server brought over a sample of the taco meat for our 10 yo to try. Overheard our concern about spiciness and just brought it
over without being asked! Chips and salsa to snack on were delicious! Portion sizes bigger than expected. Prices were reasonable and the meal was a great value. My husband was impressed with the beer selection. Will definitely visit again!

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Howling Wolf Taqueria? Share your experiences!