“Not bad, but not great.”

Witch History Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$2,100.00*
and up
Salem Day Trip from Boston in Luxury Rolls Royce...
Ranked #66 of 84 things to do in Salem
Reviewed August 18, 2012

This tour wasn't terrible, but it was awesome either. Our tour guide was nice and informative and I liked the low lighting of the tour but it was extremely stuffy in the basement. It's not really a museum but a tour guide with a touch out of date figures. But I DID learn a couple of things that I wasn't aware of before and our tour guide recommended a book for us to read as well.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I enjoyed the performance in the beginning where we were given lots of pertinent information about the witch trials and how they came about. That lasted about ten minutes, and then there was a tour of the basement.

The basement is super duper creepy. No getting around it...the faces on the figures are just horrifyingly hideous. Everything is old and weathered looking. It definitely has the feel of a cheesy haunted house disguised as a museum.

The basement contains "scenes" from the witch trials. Several of the scenes have pre-recorded audio that is played by the tour guide. There are lots of grotesque images down there, so think about it before bringing children inside. I went with two 8-year olds and a 12 year old. One 8 year-old was terrified, but the other two thought it was awesome. Despite the cheese factor, I think it was pretty awesome, too. It's worth checking out, but it really needs to be updated.

1  Thank daynasu
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stopped here first. The workers were very helpful in giving us maps and directions to the other 2 museums included in our ticket price (Pirate and witch dungeon museums). They were also kind enough to explain the parking rules in town. Apparently we could only park for 4 hours then we had to move to another parking lot. It was something we’d never heard of. The museum itself started was informative and interesting. It was probably the best of the three museums. A tour guide walks you through scenes depicting the events of the witch trials and explains the history. It was not so much a museum as it was a guide explaining the history with staged scenes. Definitely worth a visit though. Also we have a 7 and 9 yr old. They handled it all just fine since they had learned a little about the trials through history books. I would recommend it for older or mature children who aren’t afraid of dark places.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

First off, out of the three places to visit with my combination ticket, this was the weakest entry. That being said, it wasn’t awful. It’s rather misleading to call this a ‘museum’ though; there was not one artifact located here.

You walk in through the gift shop to a large auditorium to watch a ten or fifteen minute lecture given by a college-aged girl in period clothing. The large blow-up photographs on the wall of local sites relevant to the witch hysteria were more interesting.

After the lecture we are lead down to the basement to see (I think) fifteen different dioramas of scenes relating to the hysteria. Much like other Salem museums these displays are a bit on the dated side. They aren’t awful but you can definitely tell they are old; the whole area seemed a bit tired and in need of a cleaning. The guide talked a minute or two about the scene, then pressed a button to make a pre-recorded narration play. I guess it helped give each scene some character. I think I was most amused by the diorama of the witches ‘coven’ meeting – you know, the meeting that never happened.

It’s cheesy but it was OK; I don’t think I would ever need to see it again. It’s a nice basic introduction to the life and the witch hysteria of 1692 and would be appropriate for children. If you are visiting Salem you are almost required to see something relating to the witch trials and from some of the ‘tourist-trap’ looking places I passed by, you could do far worse than this. It's easy enough to find and there are tons of little shops and restrauants nearby to check out when you are done.

2  Thank Nikki C
See more reviews
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband and I visited this museum during our stay in Salem. I had visited this museum once before but husband never did so we decided to go.

Before you actually enter the museum area you sit in and listen to the guide give you some general information on puritans and the 1600's. It kind of sets of tone for the rest of the visit.

Next you walk down a flight of steps and enter the kitchen of Tituba and the girls responsible for the mass hysteria. The guide gives you some info on scene and then a pre-recorded soundtrack comes on narrating what you are seeing. This goes on throughout the exhibit.

All in all I found the info informative and interesting. The displays are pretty shabby but acceptable. It appears that all of Salem's museums need some TLC though.