“Great ride”
Review of Salem Trolley

Salem Trolley
Ranked #1 of 3 Transportation in Salem
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1982, Salem Trolley has offered sightseeing tours and exceptional transportation North of Boston. Once on board, visitors discover the Witch City's unique, colorful past. Our hop-on, hop-off service includes a one-hour narrated tour and all-day shuttle service through beautiful and historic Salem from the witchcraft trials of 1692, to literary and maritime history. Our eight-mile ride around the city takes you past the Charter Street Burial Ground, The House of the Seven Gables, Witch Dungeon Museum, Witch History Museum, New England Pirate Museum, Salem Witch Museum, along the historic waterfront and along historic streets such as Chestnut Street. Your professional driver and talented local tour guide will entertain you with factual history and interesting tidbits about the city. Feel free to get off and on at any of our 14 stops throughout the day and view Salem at your leisure, using our trolley as a convenient shuttle service. Private charters are available year round.
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We took the trolley tour on a whim. We enjoyed it. We got to see the city, its sights, learn about its history while letting someone else do the driving. It gives you a good orientation of the city. It's nice to get on & get off when you want.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We did this tour in October right before Halloween. Our guide was friendly and knowledgeable about Salem! We heard many great tales about the area as we traveled through Salem! I recommend this tour for all ages!

1  Thank Metschik
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Every city that I visit that has a trolley tour, I try to start my visit with it by first staying on the trolley for the whole tour first without getting off. Simply stated, which goes for the Salem Trolley Tours, it is the best way to find out the highlights of what there is in the city with seeing where they are, getting info about them from the bus guide, and being able to get off at specific trolley stops. After I rode the full tour, I stayed on to be taken to an attraction that was along the tour route and very close to a stop. The tour guide on this trip was both informative and very funny. I very much enjoyed this tour and so will you.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

We did this on a Thursday in October, so I presume that it was rather busier than at other times of years. We bought our tickets from the Trolley Depot Store, and then wandered down to the armoury building to catch the trolley.

One was just taking on passengers when we got there, but only 2 people were able to get on as it was quite full. We joined a queue with about 8-10 people in front of us, expecting that we would be able to get on the next trolley. However, the next trolley came and only 5 people got off it, meaning that only 5 people could get on. When we had waited for about 40 minutes, the girl who was selling tickets etc at the stand asked two men who had been doing a shuttle trolley for something else to do an 'overflow' tour, which meant that we finally got to go on it.

The tour itself was fine, informative, and the guides were quite entertaining.

There was another issue with the trolley, which was that it is billed as being a hop-on-hop-off tour, where you should be able to pick this up again at any of the stops, and use it as a shuttle once you have been round the full route. Due to how busy this was, it would not have been possible to do this that day - perhaps they need to change this policy when they are busy or do a reduced one-use only rate? It does make you feel a little cheated.

On the whole, if you are reasonably fit and healthy, I would probably recommend that you don't bother with the trolley, as most of the stops are within a reasonable walking distance anyway!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We arrived 15 minutes early to the Salem Trolly ride as we were instructed. Earlier that day we had gone by just to see where it was etc... The lady was sitting in the office and did not get up , but stuck her head out. We said we were there early as she instructed us. Then she told us to go out side and wait. I asked where the trolley was and she said down the street. I told her we would wait there. We got to the trolly and the driver told us she would be in great trouble if she let us in the trolly and that we had to wait for her to come down with her sheet and check us off. Needless to say numerous folks experienced this same problem during the 15 minutes while the owner/clerk was sitting on her desk in her office.

Not Pleasant.

Either the clerk should have told us to get there right on time when they actually let us on the trolly or the person sitting on her desk....shoud have walked down to the trolly at the time she told us to be there and checked our names off the list and let us sit down in the trolly. I wear a pedometer and I had already walked 10 miles that day. It woudl have been nice at this point to be seated. This was poor customer treatment and bad management skills.

The tour guide was ok and the tour itself very lackluster,

We live and learn....