“Gluten Free Menu Food Average”

Tavern in the Square
Reserve with OpenTable
Tavern in the Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 237 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We ate here in early Nov., 2012. We both chose items from the Gluten Free menu.

My steak was ok. Nothing special but not bad either. The garlic mashed potatoes were good. My wife's salmon was very dry (way overcooked). The asparagus was nicely grilled. The service was very good.

To their credit, the restaurant agreed not to charge us for my wife's dry salmon. The staff seemed not to be very familiar with the gluten free menu (the reason we chose this restaurant). Maybe we are hoping for too much and it will take time for more people to eat Gluten Free.

pros: good service, location in Salem, customer service

cons: over cooked salmon, staff not familiar with gluten free menu, bit too expensive for what you get (both food-wise and atmosphere)

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I visited the tavern over this past weekend during a day trip to Salem. We sat at the bar and had great service. I was very impressed by the gluten free menu. I had called a few other restaurants in the area, but no one else had gluten free bread and I was craving a burger. On the gluten free menu, there were several appetizers, sandwiches, meals, and sides to choose from. We had the classic nachos and I had a cheeseburger on a gluten free bun with a side of roasted vegetables. French fries are not made in a dedicated fryer, but with all the other options I was okay with that.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I have had a number of great meetings here, great place. Food is quite good, and not too noisy. Staff is great also.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

First time to the Tavern and it was a pleasant experience. The food was very good, portion size was appropriate. The value was also very good. TVs everywhere with individual TVs at the booths. Everything was clean and the server friendly and attentive.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Took the family to Salem, MA to experience the upcoming Holloween season. Was fun to see all the people dresses up in costume as well folks who normally dress like its Holloweeen all the time : ). Went to the Witch Museum, etc to get the real story of what happened in the late 1600's. Was amazed at what "religous" people (sounds like today....) are cable of doing based on their fears, not on actual confirmed facts.
Anyway, the day was beautiful and we all enjoyed the experience. When it was time to eat my son suggested the Tavern as he had eaten there before and said it was good. He was right. Huge selection of micro brew beers as well as the usual - I got the shredded steak burger covered with mushrooms, onion and melted cheddar chees with sweet potato fries. It was great. Everyone else enjoyed their lunch as well.
Place was noisy, lots of people coming and going, but what do you expect in a busy, tourist, holiday time, in the middle of the afternoon place? Food was good and worth the wait. If and when we go back, the Tavern will be on our list of go to places.