“Pleasantly Surprised”

Capt's Waterfront Grill
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: One can take the commuter train to and from Boston, The "T", about a 25 minute ride. The station is a 10 to 15 minute walk from Capt's. Taxi service is available by phone. There is ferry service available from Boston - near the New England Aquarium to Blaney St. in Salem - a 10 minute walk. There is a sight-seeing trolley service that stops here.
Description: Waterfront dining at its best! Capt’s Waterfront brings the biggest and best charcoal grilled steaks to diners on the North Shore - GUARANTEED - and an incredible selection of market fresh seafood. Capt’s hand selects only the best and highest quality cuts of locally sourced steak and seafood. With its combination of exceptional charcoal grilled dishes, contemporary New England cuisine and an unparalleled location, Capt’s Waterfront is the premier location to dine on Pickering Wharf in Salem, Massachusetts. Downstairs, find a refined bar section; upstairs, the Topsides Dining Room & Deck provide a more intimate setting. Regardless of your seating arrangement, immaculate views and incredible cuisine provide for a memorable meal in one of the state’s most historic locations.
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed October 15, 2008

I'm surprised by the bad reviews on this restaurant. I'll admit I was hesitant to try it at first because often times the places that have a great location don't also happen to have good food. And from the outside it looked like a typical ,average, waterfront, seafood restaurant.

I ate there twice, both times outside on the upper deck. The view is fabulous! I found all of the staff to be very friendly. It was surprisingly clean and modern. The tuna steak was great. The swordfish was a bit small but good, and the side items were great. The lobster risotto and mushroom cigars (appetizers) were delicious and unique.

I would return!!

1 Thank drjulia

Boston
“Great Food, Service, and View”
Reviewed September 16, 2008

Excellent restaurant. The New England clam chowder was one of the best I've ever had. For my main course, I had a tuna steak (rare) with rice and a side of green beans. It was delicious. Everyone at my table was happy with their food.

The service was also top notch along with the view. You get to look at a historic ship (don't know the name) docked right outside.

flushing, ny
“horrifying experience!”
Reviewed August 25, 2008

My girlfriend and I were in town for the weekend and decided to try Capt's. From the moment we stepped up to the hostess station we were snubbed. The woman standing at the podium was shuffling papers around and when i cleared my throat and offered a 'hello' she looked up at me as if i had three heads. Still i persisted, i smiled and said we'd like to have dinner, is there a long wait? She looked at me and then at my girlfriend, clearly sizing us up and said something to the effect of she doesnt' do that and we had to wait till the host arrived. When the male version of this very rude woman arrived he began shuffling the same pages the woman was nosing thru. I again, cleared my throat and with a forced smile said to the man behind the podium "hello, we're waiting to find out about the wait for dinner... two in the party" he looked us up and down, nearly scoffed and began to speakk to another woman who was decked out from head to toe... she just walked in the door and he was prepared to seat her. can you say "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"? I was mortified and when i clearly stated that i felt the man was being rude he suggested i was impatient... when my friend and i had been waiting at least 15 minutes already! Clearly we were not the clientel they serve and with a chip on my shoulder and my tail between my legs we left. HORRIBLE service, AWEFUL staff!

1 Thank Eilphaba
Lowell,Ma
“Horror on the Harbor”
Reviewed August 11, 2008

The 2 story Capts restaurant sits at the beginning of Pickering Wharf on Salem Harbor.We sat outside on the upper level deck that looks out on the harbor with a beautiful vintage 3 masted sailing vessel docked only 150 feet away.The view turned out to be the only good feature of this abysmal restaurant. When the pleasant waitress brought us our pricey shrimp cocktail appetizer, it had 4 shrimp instead of the 5 stated in the menu.She quickly brought us 2 more but 1 of them had an off taste and the other one had a greenish tinge to it.It was almost as if they decided to get rid of 2 of their bad shrimp on a customer who had complained.When our meals arrived,the french fries were cold and my haddock was dry and well on its way to going bad.The tiny serving of equally tiny seasonal vegetables was easily hidden by the cold french fries pile.My girlfriend had an expensive($22.95)scallop plate that had about 7 scallops and about 700 french fries.Overall this restaurant had the worst possibe combination--lousy food at high prices.Steer clear of this Capts table.

1 Thank flashover5
Salem
“Comfortable, friendly and great food.”
Reviewed August 11, 2008

My wife and I go herer often and watch a ballgame and get appetizers.

The staff is very friendly, the food is very good and they have a wonderful special from 5:30-6:30 for appetizers and small plates.

This place - which has the best view in the City - is a find and we treasure it!!