“The bartender saved the day!”
Review of Capt's Waterfront Grill - CLOSED

Capt's Waterfront Grill
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: One can take the commuter train to and from Boston, The "T", about a 25 minute ride. The station is a 10 to 15 minute walk from Capt's. Taxi service is available by phone. There is ferry service available from Boston - near the New England Aquarium to Blaney St. in Salem - a 10 minute walk. There is a sight-seeing trolley service that stops here.
Description: Waterfront dining at its best! Capt’s Waterfront brings the biggest and best charcoal grilled steaks to diners on the North Shore - GUARANTEED - and an incredible selection of market fresh seafood. Capt’s hand selects only the best and highest quality cuts of locally sourced steak and seafood. With its combination of exceptional charcoal grilled dishes, contemporary New England cuisine and an unparalleled location, Capt’s Waterfront is the premier location to dine on Pickering Wharf in Salem, Massachusetts. Downstairs, find a refined bar section; upstairs, the Topsides Dining Room & Deck provide a more intimate setting. Regardless of your seating arrangement, immaculate views and incredible cuisine provide for a memorable meal in one of the state’s most historic locations.
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We went on the busiest night of the year in Salem and found that the restaurant was unprepared and understaffed for this day. The hostess was extremely short and unhelpful as if she didn't care for our business. After sitting for a while we finally decided to eat at the bar. The bartender KYLE was absolutely amazing. He was the only one working in a very crowded bar and he still made sure to check in on us and even have some fun conversation. The food was cold and bland but the excellent service from the hard working "bar keep" saved the night. We would not go back for the food, but we would definitely go back for service at the bar.

DirkIsbrandtsen, Heather, Manager at Capt's Waterfront Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

We're often very proud of our staff and the extra effort they put into their roles here, and Kyle is a fine example of that. I'm very happy to hear that he took such great care of you, and I'll be sure to pass this along to him. That being said, it seems the hostess on duty wasn't following suit, and I apologize. I'll also follow up with her regarding this feedback. As for the food, I'm terribly sorry that you didn't like the dishes you tried. We pride ourselves on our fresh seafood, and I'm curious as to what you had -- I hope that your next visit proves much more satisfying in that regard. Thank you for sharing this review, and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

If you're someone like me, who really is affected by bad service at a restaurant, then stay away from this place. I was with a party of 5 including myself on a busy Sunday afternoon so for staff to be a little frazzled I understand, but I don't understand the attitude. Our waitress's name was Patty. After waiting about 15 minutes for her to come take our order, there was many things people I was with ordered, that she told us they were out of. Which is understandable for a busy Sunday afternoon, but that doesn't mean you have to be rude about it! Also, someone in my party had a food allergy and she was absolutely not understanding or accommodating in any way shape or form. I wouldn't expect her to bend over backwards to find something she'd be able to eat, but a little understanding would be good. She said when it's busy the kitchen allows no substitutions which I find a little hard to believe when it comes to a food allergy, it just seemed as though she didn't care to be helpful (even though it really wouldn't take much on her part) The fact that the restaurant was apparently out of everything we wanted to order (no cheddar cheese for a burger/no pumpkin anything for a pumpkin martini) wasn't as irritating as our waitress's bad attitude or the fact that she couldn't accommodate a food allergy. As for the food that we WERE able to order, it was good I guess, but I wouldn't go back to this restaurant after the service we received.

DirkIsbrandtsen, Heather, Manager at Capt's Waterfront Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

You should expect nothing less than friendly attentive, service from the moment you sit down with us, Abigail. I’m disappointed to hear this was the biggest downfall of your experience. Especially since you were so understanding as to why we were out of certain items. Our servers know better than most that a smile can go a long way when it comes to customer service, and I’m afraid you may have just caught Patty on an off day. We’ve already shared your comments with her to ensure that she, and the rest of the team, are always putting their best foot forward. Furthermore, we’re always more than happy to accommodate any requests for our friends with food allergies, and I’m even more sorry to know you were lead to believe otherwise. It’s really a shame that you didn’t see us at our best, and I hope you can give us a chance to change your mind. Friendly staff, fresh seafood, and a fun atmosphere is what we’re known for, and that’s exactly what you’ll get from here on out!

All the best,

Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend made reservations here for 630 on a Friday night and were seated right away. I forget our servers name but she was amazing explaining about their speciality drinks including a tour of New England which is a micro brew from each New England state. The chowder was very tasty with smoked bacon. The steak tips were perfect and presented in a bread boule which was amazing and different and the lobster Mac and cheese was the best I've ever had. Dessert was amazing and home made. I will make sure to return if ever in area again

DirkIsbrandtsen, Heather, Manager at Capt's Waterfront Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

This is wonderful to hear! Thank you for taking the time to share this excellent feedback, and I hope we can welcome you and your girlfriend back again someday. It sounds like you made some great choices when you ordered -- the chowder is a personal favorite, as is the mac and cheese! Again, we're so grateful you came in to dine with us, and we look forward to serving you again next time.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

It was a great October day and we decided to eat here out on the 2nd floor patio. Great view of the Friendship and harbor. Hubby really liked the clam chowder. Enjoyed the scallops and fish and chips.

I'm so glad you and your husband came in and enjoyed the beautiful view and some seafood. The chowder is the perfect way to welcome the gorgeous fall weather! I hope we can welcome you back for another meal very soon.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I recently visited Capt's with a friend for lunch. While the food was good as was the service, I will never return. Why you ask? We were ushered out of the restaurant as it was closing for a private function. I barely had time to finish my meal and we did not finish our single glass of wine. Our entire visit lasted 45 minutes, so we were hardly malingering. We were not told that the restaurant and bar would be closing for a private event when we entered. Rather than apologizing, the manager seemed more interested in hurrying us out the door. No apology, just get out.........

So, if you intend to visit Capt's, do yourself favor and ask if they are expecting a large party before you are seated.

DirkIsbrandtsen, Heather, Manager at Capt's Waterfront Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

I'm so sorry for this misunderstanding, Harold. You absolutely should have been made aware of the event, and I'd love to know exactly when you were in so that I can look into the host or hostess who was on duty and speak to them about this matter. I hope you'll accept my apologies and reconsider your decision not to return -- I appreciate that you enjoyed the food and service when you were here, and I'm confident we can give you something much closer to the five star experience you deserve.