“We wished we'd stayed at the Morning Glory”
Review of Stepping Stone Inn

Stepping Stone Inn
Ranked #5 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 4, 2007

Wouldn't stay here again. Let's start with the good aspect -- the place was clean. My husband and I love to stay at B & B's and enjoy our various experiences. But the Stepping Stone Inn was just a place to stay -- not warm and welcoming, not cozy, and overall exuded a spirit of stinginess. The bed, while uncomfortable to relax on for conversation (with no other option in the roomn), turned out to be comfortable enough for sleep. The common sitting room had a very cold aura . . . we sat for a while but nothing in the ambience was welcoming . . . so we retired to our room. The breakfast was fasinating in its austerity; how does one create such thin slices of banana bread. It seemed very strange. Our usual B&B experience entails a sense of warm, generous hospitality. Not here.

Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank sojournerD

Reviewed November 3, 2005

We stayed at the Inn durin a very rainy October weekend as an Anniversary trip for my husband and myself as well as my sister and brother in law. The rooms were clean,
the home itself lovely and John, the innkeeper was gracious and very helpful. We were within easy walking
distance of everything. The only problems with this inn were the TINY bathrooms and the breakfasts.
We are not very large people, but found the showers in our rooms so tiny that we kept banging our arms against the shower walls while trying to wash our hair! It wasn't really a problem, because we found the place so nice, but it might be a problem for a larger person or someone who was pregnant. The Inn also has an incredibly stingy breakfast. I know that it states from the beginning that it is a continental breakfast, but when another reviewer
spoke of the bread being so thinly sliced you couldn't even pick it up it was not an exaggeration! Also, if you are thirsty, you'd better be prepared to supply your own
morning beverage, because other than coffee and tea you are offered a glass of oj about the size of a shot glass with no refills!
I would certainly stay here again, because it is lovely, the price is very fair and it is so close to everything, but I hope that this will inform other travelers about it's possible drawbacks.

• Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank jp68
Reviewed September 23, 2005

We stayed at the Inn over labor day. The location could not be better and the house is part of the history of Salem. Our room was immaculate and the host was charming. We enjoyed the area so much we stayed one extra day. It is a very good value

• Stayed: September 2005
1  Thank jebDesMoinesIowa
Reviewed September 21, 2005

We loved staying in this Inn, the owner was very friendly, helpful. The bed was so comfortable. Sadly not much of any worth to see in Salem, too hyped up, had a very manufactured feel to it. The breakfast at the Stepping Stones was interesting! We had become used to huge american breakfasts, so it didnt do us any harm to have a 'continental' but the worst thing was the coffee! very strange taste and for the first time on our trip did not have a 2nd cup. It was too awful!

• Stayed: April 2005
1  Thank Bearspotter
A TripAdvisor Member
Reading, England
Reviewed September 18, 2005

The location was excellent. Close to the shops, Witch Musuem and park.

We stayed at this inn for one night at the begining of September. We did not arrive until early evening, and simply placed our bags in the room. The room was small, and so was the TV. There was an on-suite shower room and toilet. When we returned at bedtime I noticed that the bedspread was dirty, as were the 'on display' pillows. The sheets and other pillows were clean. Window sills were dusty behind the curtains, and the shower room and toilet could have done with a good clean.

The breakfast was miserable, and extremely frugal. A thimble of juice was supplied, which was closely guarded, so no seconds!! The cake was cut so thin that you could not pick it up in one piece without it breaking up. There was cereal, but no bread or bread products. The only positive thing I could say was that the memories of the 'breakfast' supplied provided us with a lot of hilarity on our journey home!!!

John was helpful, and provided us with information on the town and restuarants. However, I would have expected a better level of cleanliness, and hospitality given his previous hotel management experience.

Overall, I would not stay here again, and would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 10, 2004

I've heard forever that the best place to stay in Salem is The Stepping Stone Inn and now I know why. Not only is this B&B in the heart of Salem, but John is probably one of the best innkeepers that I've ever met. I took my 2 nieces and nephew (ages 12 & 14) here about 2 weeks before Halloween. Although everyone told me that I waited too long to book, when I called, John told me that I lucked out since someone had just cancelled for the exact same days! We had off-street parking and a private balcony. Our bathroom was outside our room, but we simply didn't leave anything real important in there. The place was immaculate. The kids had never been to a B&B and I was really happy that I chose this one for their first. Our common room was in a situation that I could stay in bed with the door slightly open and see them watching their Saturday morning cartoons and they were able to rearrange the seating so that they could keep the volume down for our neighbors.
One of the best things about this B&B is the location. When I say that you can't pick a better spot, I'm not kidding. We were seriously in walking distance from EVERYTHING. The Stepping Stone is right next to the Salem Witch Museum which is the very first place we went upon arrival.
We were there during Bizarre Bazaar. It was a blast. Staying at The Stepping Stone Inn saved us from having to find parking no matter where we went and enabled us to get "home" real quick if we forgot something. I recommend staying here for anyone, no matter if you're in town for the historic sites, on business, visiting family, or just about anything. John's a wonderful, welcoming innkeeper and the place is beautiful yet charming. I look forward to staying here next time we visit.

• Stayed: October 2004
7  Thank missmusic
Reviewed August 14, 2004

We stayed for one night at this clean, comfortable inn. John, the innkeeper, was friendly and very hospitable. The room was well decorated, and the bed was comfortable. There was a continental breakfast of cereal, fruit, juice and coffee that was fine. The room rate was $115 which was wonderful compared to the $375 that we paid in Newport, Rhode Island. The inn is right next to the Witch's museum and across the street from the Hathorne Hotel. Parking was either in the front or the rear of the inn and was very convenient. We felt that we got a good value for our money. However, there was not any shampoo or a hairdryer, so if you are going there, just bring these items.

2  Thank Vanderneucker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Hawthorne Hotel
#3 of 3 in Salem
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Extended Stay America - Boston - Peabody

Been to Stepping Stone Inn? Share your experiences!