“Wonderful Unexpected Stay”

Ranked #5 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Manchester
“Wonderful Unexpected Stay”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My girlfriend and I were driving south to spend an evening in Salem. When we saw the traffic heading north for Labor day we decided to change our plans and stay overnight in Salem. Found this inn by blind luck and fortunate that we did. It is centrally located in Salem and right next to the Witch Museum. It is a nice quaint property with a wonderful innkeeper that treated us like family. The room was nice, clean, and a continental breakfast was included. When we spend time in Salem again I will without a doubt stay here and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
jbrick111, Owner at Stepping Stone Inn, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
It really makes feel proud to have some take the time to say how there stay was at the Inn. I know busy people are so I thank you for your comment. I hope to see you soon and will continue to make all guests happy and at home when they stay with me. I again say thank you and see you soon John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Location is excellent and John is a good host. Just remember to bring shampoo as it's not provided. We also received complementary tix to the Witch Museum next door. There's also some very nice places to shop within 5 min walk. Overall an enjoyable town and hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank bfromcchinatown
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I usually stay with friends when I visit Salem. This time, I decided to stay at a B&B. I chose The Stepping Stone because it was centrally located. The house is across from the Commons. It was clean and inviting. The furnishings were beautiful. John was a gracious host. He was very helpful and imformative in every way. Breakfast was minimal, but, enough to get you started. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I was in the room 2nd floor front. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was that my bathroom was...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
jbrick111, Owner at Stepping Stone Inn, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Aspecial thanks for taking the time to write a review. I know how busy every one can be so I always say thanks and hope to see you again in the future I will make sure you have a room with a bath in the room. Have a good day John
Schweiz
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Very nice owner of the inn, great location in the town center of salem. Clean and beautiful rooms. We loved it. The parking in the nearby parking was included, as well as a visit of the witch museum, located in the same street as the inn.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
jbrick111, Owner at Stepping Stone Inn, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
thank you for taking the time to write about lyour stay here at the stepping stone Inn. Always happy to hear your stay went well and know how much it means to have people take the time to write about your experience here in Salem an staying with me. I try all the time to have everone enjoy their stay and work to keep the home in the condition people expect. Have a god day and enjoy your future travels
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I spent the weekend in the Hawthorne room at the Stepping Stone Inn. She is a writer and enjoyed the ambiance of an older B&B. The room was nice and the whole experience reminded me of staying at my Grandmother's house right down to the same Fine China. John is a wonderful host who will spend time with you discussing Salem, old homes, renovations... whatever you wish. He keeps an immaculate B&B and his personality makes the stay. In addition, he has of street parking, which in Salem is a type of commodity, and he graciously gives you passes to the Witch museum next door. Centrally located the Stepping Stone Inn is a nice place to stay in Salem. Keep in mind, the home was built in the mid 1800's so if you don't expect 5 star accomodations you will be well suited at the Stepping Stone Inn.

Room Tip: Tell John what you are looking for, he will go out of his way to find you the perfect room for you.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
midwest
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Our first time B&B stay, and we had a great 3 days in Salem. John the owner was very accommodating and knowledgable. He is a nice & his house felt completely safe, comfortable and very clean. There is a sink and mirror in the bed room and a bathroom with toilet and small shower in your room, which is nice that you can lock your door to your room. The house is right next to the Salem Witch Museum& right in the middle of town. The sites are connected by a red painted line, so you can walk from place to place with out getting lost. The stepping stone in is right on the walking path. I would definitely recommend paying to take the Salem Trolley first, they do two different loops of the town and you get to see the layout of where things are at, get quite a bit of history, and get to some places that would be quite a bit of a walk. Couldn't really talk about the breakfast because we got up early to get started, but there is plenty of great places to eat in town. Some of the resteraunts can be really pricy, we had great luck at Red's Sandwich Shop which is really economical and has great breakfast and lunches, not sure how late they are opened. The Sea Port Cafe has excellent food: sandwiches, burgers, soups, and salads. Had dessert at Witches Brew Cafe. For sightseeing, know that most places open at 10 and close at 5 p.m., so plan accordingly. The old burying point cemetery is right next to the witch memorial benches. Other attractions we enjoyed: the house of the seven gables and the old candy company across the street. Our favorite shop was the Crafter's Market on Pickering Wharf.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank H P
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I was looking for a charming and romantic place to spend the weekend with my wife. I am happy to say I found it at the Stepping Stone Inn. Not only was the room comfortable, clean, and cozy, but the Inn keeper, a Mr.John Brick, was very personable and helpful - an excellent host with a wealth of information on local clubs and nightlife. One of the most interesting local sites is the Inn itself which was once the home of a naval officer and still has the "widow's lookout" on the roof of the Inn. We had a great time and plan to return soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank michele m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Stepping Stone Inn? Share your experiences!