“Stepping stone is literally a stones throw away from everything..”
Review of Stepping Stone Inn

Stepping Stone Inn
Ranked #5 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Our first impression on arrival was one of feeling at home.The moment you walk in you feel comfortable. John is a very thoughtful and gracious host, he even helped carry our luggage all the way to the 3rd floor room. You are right in the middle of everything and can walk anywhere you need to go,John was also very helpful with directing us to the best local restaurants,and how to get to the train,which can be confusing if you"ve never used the train system. The room was immaculate and very comfortable. The breakfast was very good and John went above and beyond to be sure everyone was happy and full before starting their day. We met some very nice people while having our breakfast and enjoyed chatting over the morning coffee. Bridget the queen cat was a gracious host as well. If I am able to come to Salem again I will make Stepping Stone Inn the place to stay,because it's not some big commercial B&B, it's Johns home, and he goes out of his way to make you feel that you are home. The only thing I found to be less than stellar was the bed, it was A little to firm for my taste,but that being said, one"s own bed is always more comfortable isn't it? Overall, the location, the service, the warm home like feeling of Stepping Stone Inn was perfect,would definitely stay here again. Thanks John and Bridget for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
jbrick111, Owner at Stepping Stone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

thank you for taking the time to tell of your stay with me at the Stepping Stone Inn. It is always a pleasure to have you and to know that your stay was a excellent one. Thank you again and want to wish you a very Happy Holiday season Thanks again John

Reviewed October 24, 2012

John was an amazingly personable host. You can literally walk out the door and your in the center of everything. The Salem Witch Museum is immediately to your left. A short walk to the parking garage where your car is housed. Super close, clean and friendly. We located a secret hole in the floor in the 3rd floor room with 2 queen beds, was so cool to read and see all that past guests have let behind. Would highly recommend to anyone visiting Salem. Just remember to byo bath supplies.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank GuitarJoe
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My fiancee and I went down to salem for some halloween fun right at the start of october.
The location is beyond perfect for everything in salem, we walked everywhere and the only time I thought I should have drove is when we went down to the salem willow's arcade.
few things about the place/owner:
1) perfectly clean, I actually went around to all the nooks and crannies to find dirt and couldn't
2) the owner has been doing this for 21 years and has 17 years of hotel experience before it
3) the free passes to the salem witch museum made it so we didnt waste $18 on it (cheesy but worth it if free)
If I had to say one negative thing about it though, it is the breakfast. His service and care for the people staying is uncanny, but the options for food left us desiring more.
breakfast had; hardboiled eggs, cereals, coffee, pastries, orange juice, and fresh cut fruit. I would have liked to see a hot food option. Even just oatmeal or scrambled eggs.

All in all great place, and when we next go to salem we will deffinately stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mitchell W
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Salem last week and spent a few nights at The Stepping Stone Inn. The house is beautifully maintained and the room was cozy and comfortable. John (owner) was very pleasant. He made us feel as if we were family staying in his home. He went beyond the typical "Continental Breakfast" with juices, coffee, freshly made breads, cheese, cereals (several kinds) and hard boiled eggs. Definitely NOT the usual stale doughnut from the chain hotels! The location was superb, everything within walking distance. Yes, he has a sweet cat that lives with him, ( I only saw her once in the 2 days we were there) and he is very up front about owning Bridget on his website. When we go back to Salem in the future, The Stepping Stone Inn will be our ONLY choice. Thank you, John, for adding charm to our Salem getaway.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I made our first trip to Salem last week. This was my first stay at a B & B. This one was homey and inviting. It was like staying at home. Our room was a nice size with lots of light. Even though our bathroom was not inside the room, it was not an issue to step outside the room to get to it. John, the owner, was a great host. He made us feel very welcome and was always cheerful. When asked, he would give us ideas on restaurants in the area to try.

I looked here before booking this inn, to make sure we stayed in a place that was worth the money we were paying. I saw a few people had issues with the continental breakfast. Not sure what you were expecting, but a continental breakfast is prepackaged food with maybe coffee and juice. John bakes different types of bread for breakfast, which he doesn't have to do. We were happy with the breakfast.

We were very happy with our stay. John thank you for a beautiful place to stay while we visited Salem. When we visit again, we will definitely stay at your inn.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
jbrick111, Owner at Stepping Stone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Just wanted to say thank for clearing lup what some people think a Cont breakfast is and that I follow the rules set forth my the Salem Health Dept. Your room is a front and many people like the room and love the view. I always tell in advance about the private bath not being in the room ... There fore there are no surprise s .. Thanks again and look forward to seeing you soon

Reviewed August 23, 2012

The owner provides a very friendly, welcoming stay. Feels like you have been invited to stay at a family member's home. We used to live in a historic home, so we felt very comfortable with the quirks and charm that come with a home built well over a century ago. The owner kindly asks guests to turn off the TV after 11 pm, and that is much appreciated since sound travels easily in older homes with hardwood floors. It is evident from the first moment that Mr. Brick truly wants you to enjoy your stay. Breakfast worked well for all since it is laid out and ready between 8:30 and 10 -- no waiting. My daughter was pleased with the cereal selection, and I enjoyed the hard-boiled eggs, fresh fruit, and tasty apple cinnamon bread. Pleasantly surprised to have wi-fi available, which was great for planning the next day's visit. Can't beat the location -- next door to the Salem Witch Museum, around the corner from the Visitor Center and Essex Street, and just a block down from a garage where you receive a pass to park safely. Reasonably priced for the location.

Room Tip: Derby Room faces the street -- good views of the activity outside. Shower stall is a little tight...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

So glad your stay made you feel like family and I can say it is truly my pleasure to have you selected to stay here at the Stepping Stone Some good points make and other people who are coming to Salem know what to expect. Thanks again John

Reviewed August 22, 2012

My wife and I recently traveled to Salem from Canada and were amazed by the beauty of the town. We found this B&B fairly easy as it is located dead center of the historic sites. We were greeted by John the inn keeper, an extremely friendly and helpful individual. We were given a tour of the premsis, a parking pass and answers to all the questions we had about the area. The room was clean and what would be expected of a 160 year old house. Some people complain because the rooms and shower are small, but what do you expect? It's not a countryside home. The room more than served its purpose. As I said, free near by parking is provided in a secure parking garage, free wifi, a light but nice breakfast is also available. John can answer all your questions about Boston and can provide you with bus and train schedule times. The location is across the street from a beautiful park, an assortment of restaurants and multiple historic sites. I forgot to mention, if you spend 2 nights or more you are provided with free passes to the witch museum. We were more than happy with this place and I cannot say enough nice things about our experience. We will be back next summer.

Dustin Mitchell

• Stayed: August 2012

thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with me hare at the Stepping Stone Inn I know how busy people can be so I say thank you and it helps others who are coming to Salem to know what to expect. Look forward to seeing lyou soon thanks again JOHN

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
Coach House Inn
Coach House Inn
#7 of 9 in Salem

Been to Stepping Stone Inn? Share your experiences!