“OUR STAY AT THIS BED & BREAKFAST”
Review of Stepping Stone Inn

Stepping Stone Inn
Ranked #5 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I have to say this bed & breakfast was very clean and gave you a "homey" feeling. The man that runs the place is very nice and attentive. Our beds were nice and comfy and clean!!! The location is great because it is in the middle of everything and not far to walk.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 20, 2012

My Husband and I come to Salem every year for our Anniversary and we always stay at the Stepping Stone Inn. Why? It's in the Best Location. Within walking distance to everything. That way you don't waste gas driving all over. The Stepping Stone has very good rates. The rooms are always clean. John the owner is very friendly and helpful. He will go out of his way to help you. He also cooks those wonderful breads for breakfast. Can't say that we have ever had a problem there. It's been 15 years now that we have stayed at the Inn. I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa S
jbrick111, Owner at Stepping Stone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

I jlust wanted to say Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay. I always look forward to seeing you return and it feels like family coming back to visit. I truly look forward to your return next year and will continue to make you feel right at home. Your room will be waiting . Thanks again and have a wonderful summer. your host John

Reviewed May 7, 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Stepping Stone Inn in October. While the room we stayed was not lushly appointed, it was by no means sterile - it was very quaint and charming. Our bedroom, bath and linens were always very clean. The location is ideal, within walking distance of just about all the great sites in Salem (except the House of the Seven Gables, but since the room came with secure garage parking, we had no problems getting where we wanted to go). When we return, our first option will be the Stepping Stone Inn.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Will K
jbrick111, Owner at Stepping Stone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Dear Sir it was my pleasure to have y ou stay with me at the Inn. I try to make everyone feel at home and work to have it in perfect condition. I appreciate your telling people about the parking which helps me so if people ask they have off street parking. It always makes me grateful when some one takes the time to write an share the visit experience. I truly look forward to seeing you again and be able to give you that service.. Once again i thank you for taking the time and look forward to seeing you both soon ...

Reviewed April 21, 2012

This was a nice place and the rooms were well maintained. I have no major issues with the Stepping Stone, but it wasn't anything spectacular either. It was a great location, the breakfast was small but enough. It is located right next to the Salem Witch museum. John was friendly. Overall a good stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Koedrick
Reviewed December 25, 2011

The Stepping Stone Inn is a lovely place in a great location in Salem. John was very sweet and so accomodatng. We stayed for a weekend in November and had a great time. The location next to the witch museum was very convenient. Price was very reasonable.The rooms were very clean and comfortable. Being able to park in the large garage was great. I would recommend this place very highly.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank 7Lisal
jbrick111, Owner at Stepping Stone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

thank you for your review and I always appreciate you taking the time to tell others about your stay. I work to make all people feel at home and hoping they will return .. I hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again. Once again thank you JOHN

Reviewed November 11, 2011

I am aghast at any bad reviews or negative ratings of the Stepping Stone Inn. I really am.
My husband and I stayed for several nights in late October for our honeymoon. When I called to inquire in the summer, John was friendly and accommodating. Unfortunately, he was full for two nights of our stay, but recommended a great place in the neighboring town of Swampscott. He told us where they were and how to get ahold of them, which made planning our stay so much easier!
When we arrived, John was helpful and nice. He answered all of our questions, showed us to our room, and recommended several great places to eat, great attractions, and gave fantastic directions to anywhere we asked about.
Our room was lovely. Yes, the rooms are small, but ALL rooms in inns/bed and breakfasts are small. Who cares about the size of your room? All we needed was a place to sleep! The bed was large and comfortable, and the entire inn is flawlessly clean. We were always stocked with towels, soap and toilet paper. The shower in our room was perfectly fine, with good pressure and temperature - if my 6 foot 4 husband can take a fairly comfortable shower here, anyone can. You can smell the fresh laundry every time you open your door.
The breakfast he provides is tasty and filling. The people who complain about it - I just don't know what kind of seven-course gourmet breakfast you're expecting. John serves coffee, tea, and juice.. you have your choice of cereal, tasty bread (sliced no thinner than any other bakery), hard boiled eggs, cheese, and fresh fruit. Dennis and I ate free every morning and were never hungry until normal lunch time. The serving time is generous - 8:30 to 10am. If you can't wake up to get to breakfast by 10am, don't blame the inn! Set your alarm! Picky reviewers should remember that John runs this place on his own - you can smell him cooking your FREE breakfast during the evening, and watch him run around to clean your room in the mornings! His hard work was definitely appreciated by us.
Stepping Stone could not be in a more perfect place. We walked everywhere, and were never more than a few minutes from "home" which was perfect if we needed umbrellas, bathroom breaks, or to grab a jacket. John provides free passes to the Salem Witch Museum, located right next door, which was a happy surprise to us. He has an extensive knowledge of the city and gives great directions or suggestions for food or fun.
I know I probably sound unreasonably defensive, but honestly, our choice to stay here was what made our honeymoon in Salem as amazing as it was. We already plan to come back for our anniversary, and maybe every anniversary, and we will never stay anywhere else. Fantastic location, clean rooms, good breakfast, and a helpful, friendly innkeeper are hard to find in one place. For Salem, that place is Stepping Stone.
We had an absolute blast. Thank you, John!
-Chelsea and Dennis

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chelsea C
Reviewed November 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Stepping Stone Inn on the weekend of my birthday and we loved it! Perfect location, we walked everywhere. Every time we walked in the room we could smell the clean sheets. The owner was also extremely nice. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed: November 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Hawthorne Hotel
#3 of 3 in Salem
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Extended Stay America - Boston - Peabody

Been to Stepping Stone Inn? Share your experiences!