“Unique, charming, fascinating place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Stephen Daniels House
Ranked #8 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I took a mini-vacation last week - one night in Concord, two nights in Salem. After thoroughly researching B&Bs in Salem, this one was my #1 pick for its history and authenticity. It did not disappoint in the least!

The B&B is like an interactive museum -- which is more fun than it sounds! Kay, the owner, is an avid antiques collector and, after hearing her talk about her wonderful collection, she even (inadvertantly) got my boyfriend and I spending more hours than planned in the area antique shops! Kay herself is quite a character, loves to chat, but will respect your own schedule at the same time.

Other great things about the place:
-Robin, who does a fantastic job with the day-to-day of the B&B (Kay is rather elderly now). Don't forget to tip when you leave!
-SO close to the shore, Pickering Wharf, museums, Salem Common, the historic district... me and b/f didn't drive anywhere the whole time we were in Salem.
-The peaceful patio in the back. Surrounded by flowers, trees, and shrubbery, you're still in the middle of town. It's very special.
-The friendly and adorable cat, Sabrina.
-Free, off-street parking. When it was time for us to leave the room, we still had a few hours to wander around before leaving Salem, so Kay lent us a parking tag for the car so we could park on the street for free!

We were truly sorry to leave.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a unique opportunity to stay in a house, the original part of which was built in 1667, that has not been extensively remodelled or recreated as a 'visitor experience'. If you really want to get a feeling for how a Sea Captain lived in 17th Century Salem then you must stay here! Take the time to have a tour of the house - a warren of interconnecting rooms containing a cornucopia of antiques that the owner, Kay, has spent her life collecting.

Breakfast was served in the dining room with a roaring fire - a delicious selection of fresh fruit and hot muffins and strong coffee - whilst Kay regaled us with hilarious and fascinating stories. She is wonderful, mischievous lady with a keen sense of humour and it was worth visiting Salem just to meet her!

Thank you to both Kay and Robin for their hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

My aunt and I stayed here for our two nights in Salem, and I have to say it was fantastic! First of all, if anyone even has the slightest bit of negativity to post about their stay, they're nuts! I would love to know how a review is possible when someone didn't even give it a 5 minute chance. I felt right at home while I was here; Kay greeted us when we arrived, she gave us a lesson on the history about the house, and she directed us to our rooms. This is the most sanitary place I have ever stayed in, ever! The breakfast was delicious! Homemade muffins, fresh fruit, Brie cheese, fresh hot coffee, and orange juice; Robin worked hard to make sure breakfast was wonderful too! I loved that Kay and Robin sat down with us and talked while we enjoyed our breakfast, and told us more about the house and all the things to do in Salem. My aunt and I even joined Kay later in the day and we talked all about Salem in one of her sitting rooms; we had a blast! Kay is a very cool lady to chat with; I really liked her! Robin gave us a tour of the house, and we got to see all the other rooms we didn't even know existed. This house was like a giant maze with hidden rooms, and a ton of floors! Very interesting! We had a wonderful stay here and we would definitely stay here again! Thanks Kay, and Robin, and I can't forget about Sabrina the cat! You made our stay wonderful!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I'm sorry it took me so long to write a review about my stay. Well here goes. I needed a place to stay for one night(a friday, no less). I didn't think anyplace would say it was ok. When I called the Stephen Daniels House, and spoke to Kay, she told me that she had an opening for that evening. When I got there, I was greeted by Kay. She gave me a tour and a some history about the house. Then, she showed me to my room. The room was lovely, but, it had a shared bathroom. I don't feel comfortable with that. But, seeing that I was the only one there that night, it didn't matter. The antiques and the history of the house was so interesting. Kay was a delight to listen to. I met Robin, who was an absolute delight. On Saturday morning I sat down to breakfast, and Kay sat with me. I was meeting my friend at around 10:00, but, would have loved to sit a while and listen to Kays many stories. I will definitely stay here again. But, I would request the room with the private bathroom. (I didn't know about it until I read a previously listed review). You won't be dissappointed if you stay at the Stephen Daniels House!! Chuck from CT.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
robin m, Manager at Stephen Daniels House, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Hi Thank You so much for your wonderful review, we enjoyed having you here at the Daniels House and look forward to your return. I just want to correct you if you don't mind, all the rooms have their very own private bathrooms, no bathrooms are shared between the guest. Maybe the way Kay explained it you got confused. No worries, again thank you for taking the time to give a great review, it is much appreciated.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

If you're coming to check out Salem, chances are you dig that historical New England charm. To complete the experience, stay at the Stephen Daniels house- straight out of the 1600's and in your face! We loved it! So much to look at-antiques everywhere. The bathroom fixtures were totally updated (thank goodness), but besides that, it was very much like spending the weekend at your great, great grandmothers house. If you're looking for a bland, sterile Holiday Inn experience, this is not for you. But if you like your accommodations to have personality, quirk, and a real sense of history, please book a room here! we were the only guests fir the weekend, so we had Kay and Robin all to ourselves. Fresh baked muffins, fresh fruit, coffee, and wonderful conversations each morning. I would definitely stay here a 2nd and 3rd time!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I stopped in here, looking for a charming B&B for the night. We took a short tour of the house, and could not get out quickly enough. The innkeeper was rude, and while walking through the house, we could feel very negative and scary energy...like someone was watching us/following us. All of the décor and furnishings are musty and dusty, and each room is filled with creepy dolls and toys. We didn't stay the night; we could barely handle 5 minutes!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Amy A
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Stephen Daniels house is a step back into colonial time. The house was built in the late 1600s with the other part built in the 1700s, we stayed in the great room, which includes a fireplace and is a massive room. Kay and Robin are great hosts, we had great conversation in the morning. Breakfast is very basic, muffins and coffee which is strong. Some of the muffins were cold in the middle, but I didn't really care much as we were most likely going to eat for lunch somewhere in the area. We were greeted each night by Sabrina, Kay's adorable cat. The house is huge, and there are rooms everywhere. It is filled with antiques and knick-knacks and each one has a story. Also in a lot of drawers of things, people leave little sayings which is a cute charm. Exploring through the house, I discovered the Acorn room, which is stunning. A gripe I have is a $15 charge for getting the fire started inside the rooms. Kind of an inconvenience for the traveler on those colder nights. They do have a drive way although it's hectic getting in and out of it, because the street is so narrow, and parked cars crowd the tiny street, which is expected in Salem. I loved the morning conversations with Kay and Robin and would love to see them again in the future. I do like the fact its pet friendly, when I travel for a few days I end up missing my dog and would love to bring him to meet Kay.

Room Tip: I like the great room, Acorn room on the third level is beautiful.