“Absolutely fantastic!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hocus Pocus Tours

Hocus Pocus Tours
Ranked #2 of 30 Tours in Salem
More attraction details
Owner description: Capture the historic spirit of Salem's yesteryear on this award winning, daily, 90-minute walking tour. Hear stories of intriguing people, discover the truth about Salem's infamous Witch Trial Hysteria, experience the authentic story of Salem's most notorious murder, and find out what locations were used in the movie Hocus Pocus. More than fifteen stops dot the tour route, including Salem's old jail -- a one-time residence for the Boston Strangler, the site of the Old Witch Gaol (prison), the Witch Trial Memorial, the field where Giles Corey was pressed to death, and the cemetery where a Witch Trial magistrate is buried.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Lewiston, Maine
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Absolutely fantastic!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

My teenager and I took this tour and we both loved every minute of it! This was absolutely the best part of our visit to Salem. It was the perfect mix of history, fun, and eeriness, and we learned so much. Our tour guides, Susan and Rich, were the best. Our tour visited many sites in Salem, and every one had a captivating story. History really is brought to life - you're not just listening to a story, but you actually feel like you were really there. We will definitely be taking this tour again the next time we visit Salem. I highly recommend this tour - it is interactive, the small group size makes it very fun, and the pace is not at all rushed. The stories are not hyped-up myths, but true tales which are plenty eerie and really make you think long after the tour is over. The best!!

1 Thank firefly15

Leominster, Massachusetts
“Simply bewitching”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

Hocus Pocus Tours was the funnest part of our recent trip to Salem. As Massachusetts resdients my family and I have been to Salem a few times, but this was the most interesting and fun time yet. All because of Susan and Rich of Hocus Pocus tours. Susan kept the whole group interested and ingaged with her story telling. She mixed the past and present Salem so beautifuly. I would say if anyone is visitng Salem you have to take the Hocus Pocus walking tour it is simply bewitching.

DC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best Tour of Our Trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

My boyfriend and I spent 5 days in the Boston area, and went on several different tours. Hocus Pocus tours of Salem was by far the best tour of our trip! Susan was a very animated, knowledgeable and passionate guide.. She told the history of salem as well as the ghost stories. They also limit the number of people on the tour- which made it a lot more personable.

When visiting salem- make sure you contact Susan and Rich and take a Hocus Pocus Tour! They were so kind and passionate. Rich even drove us to the train station right after the tour so we didn't miss our train back to Boston!

Toronto, Canada
“worth much more than the price of the ticket”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

After arriving in Salem and asking around about the best tours, Hocus Pocus was the number one reccomendation. And I'm so glad we took the tour- Susan was an absolute delight from the moment she answered our phone call till she walked us to the store we wanted to go to after the tour ended. Her husband Richard (a college prof who helps out with the tour) was very, very helpful indeed. Such a friendly couple; we were an hour early hence they took the time out with a map to show us where we could go till the tour starts. I was surprised to see that when we got back they remembered our names. The tour itself was very interactive. Susan obviously knows what she is doing, her voice and way of speaking was very serene and professional- her tone had everyone hooked. Everyone in the tour seemed grateful to have chosen hocus pocus because every now and then we'd encounter another group (which was supposed to be a more comical, eerie halloweenish tour) and their guide's shrill voice was enough to drive us insane. Hocus Pocus isn't a tour to go to if you want to hear myths, tall tales related to the fantasy of Salem- It's a tour that has the perfect blend of history, facts, eerie legends and humour. We basically went around the town, learnt puritan history, facts behind houses, real tales of murder and of course the witch trials. Susan really cares about the history and respects the victims of the trials. So as opposed to refering to them as 'witches' she refered to them as 'victims', shed light on the torture and the manic hysteria from different aspects. That didn't take away from the fascination of Salem but only added to it- It was SO much fun. The tour went by in a breeze so many interesting facts we never lost focus, even my boyfriend who had never been interested in such things had a great time. It was so much fun conversing with them and there is nothing like touring with a professional who has respect for the town and loves the history. We'd like to thank the couple for conversing with us- Salem is so much more than what we thought.

Lakeville, Minnesota
“Best Part Of My Salem Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

If there is one thing you should do in Salem it is this tour! Susan the guide is so kind and passionate about the city/history. I had a blast going on this tour and would recommend it to everyone I know. My fun-o-meter was on max fun the entire time!

Been to Hocus Pocus Tours? Share your experiences!