“Perfect!!!!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Lowell, Massachusetts
“Perfect!!!!”
Reviewed February 21, 2011

My husband and I chose to stay at the Hawthorne for our Valentines Day celebration. Salem is a great city to visit with a ton of history so why not stay at one of the historic hotels! The staff was amazing and very helpful, and friendly from the concierge to the bartender in the tavern. The best part of our trip was we were able to bring our dog with us as the hotel is pet friendly for a small fee of only $10.00. Most other hotels do not allow dogs/pets, or require a large fee, and security deposit. At check in our dog got a squeaky toy which was cute. The hotel even offers dog sitting which is awesome! I would definitely stay here again. The staff was great, the hotel is beautiful, and the location is great, and right near all of the attractions to enjoy!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anniemolly
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
Valentine's Day is a day that is often fraught with expectations that are not always delivered upon. It is so nice to see that this couple, along with their family pet, were made to feel so welcomed, and enjoyed such a special time with us.

We always appreciate it when our guests take the time to write and let other travelers know about their experience with the historic Hawthorne Hotel.

We all send our sincerest thank yous and appreciation for these kudos.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Turkish first
Hartland, Vermont
Reviewed February 18, 2011

My colleagues and I had an off-site meeting at the Hawthorne for two and a half days. The meeting facilities were excellent as was the service. Our refreshments were kept fresh throughout the day by unobtrusive wait-staff and our meals were great.
I was lucky enough to stay in the hotel as well and I really liked my room. It was a corner room on the top floor. Very clean and comfortable.
Overall, this was an excellent place to stay and I'm looking forward to bringing my family back for a weekend trip.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank RookerVT
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2011
It is so nice to read a review written by a business traveler. The Hawthorne Hotel is not just a hotel catering to visitors coming to tour Salem and the surrounding area, or people coming here for a wedding or other social event, but we also pride ourselves on providing excellence in business meeting services.

Your review will certainly be helpful to other business travelers and people planning to have conferences and other types of meetings.

Thank you so much for writing.

ny
Reviewed February 9, 2011

I went with my daughter and sister-in-law...it was a girls weekend. Stayed in the Derby..it was perfect. A beautiful view of the town and park. The room was clean and decorated for the period. The staff was always very courteous. Loved the Nathaniel restaurant. Food was great. I so cant wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
What a nice review! This is exactly the kind of experience we hope each and everyone of our guests have when they stay with us. Thank you so much for writing to tell us about your experience.

Sometimes it feels like people are quick to complain, but slow to write about receiving exactly what their expectations would warrant. It is really helpful to other travelers when guests like you take time from their busy schedules to write, just as you have. Thank you!!

We sincerely appreciate it, and look forward to your return.

Parsippany, New Jersey
Reviewed February 2, 2011

The entrance to the place was beautiful with fresh flowers etc, but the room was small, dank, and dirty. Luckily I spent most of my time out of the room and out and about Salem. The hotel has a great central location to a lot of places I was interested in seeing. It was WAY too pricy for what it offered though.

The reason I won't go back? I paid in full at the time I checked in including a bunch of suprise extra fees. When I went to hand in my key at checkout two days later, they had a suprise bill for me that was over $200 in taxes! If I didn't have a credit card with me, I don't know what would have happened because I didn't budget for that suprise. They should let you know the FULL price of the room including taxes when you make a reservation. When you pay in full, you should not be suprised by $200 in taxes. How can there be $200 in taxes?!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank hestia27
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2011
We are very happy to learn of this guest's pleasure in many of the aspects of the Hawthorne Hotel. However, speaking of surprises, this is the very first we have heard about anything like this issue. If this guest had only contacted us directly, we might have been able to assist. We have never heard of that amount of taxes being charged any of our guests, and that amount would mean that they would have had to spend $2,000 in room overnight charges to even get to that level, and yet this guest states that they spent two nights here -- it is simply an impossibility, even given the current tax rates of 10.7%. However, we always quote rates inclusive of all taxes, so this comment is a big surprise to us as well.

We always try to solve every problem presented to us, but we are certain this was never brought to our attention. If this guest still wants to try to resolve this issue, I would be more than happy to take that call to try to assist, at the very least, in having a mutual understanding of what the problem might be.

We do appreciate all feedback, and want each and every guest to leave our hotel with the desire to return.

Geneal Manager
Gloucester, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 31, 2011

My employer hosted our annual holiday party at the Hawthorne this year and my husband and I stayed the night. The food was delicious and the staff was very helpful and pleasant throughout the entire event. Our room was so clean and welcoming and the decor was very charming! Great view overlooking the common too! We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jenjuah
Thanks so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. We really do appreciate it when our guests reach out to fellow travelers to tell them about the historic Hawthorne Hotel. Thanks too, for your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back again and again.

North Haven, CT
Reviewed January 19, 2011

Our trip was not really leisure as I was visiting Montserrat with my daughter. I research on tripadvisor before going anywhere and have very good luck. The hotel was beautiful. We arrived late and there was a function going on so it was a little chaotic not knowing the area. We actually parked on the street in front of the hotel (think that was the right place) and later moved to the lot after check in.

Check in was easy and our room was small but clean and inviting. I had heard that some of the rooms were haunted so unfortunately spent the night with one eye open, lol, but my daughter slept well.

We had breakfast delivered to the room and there was a mix up. We were brought 2 complete breakfasts of what I had ordered. I guess I filled out the form incorrectly. Thankfully they understood after a few phone calls and did not charge us for it.

All in all a nice overnight but there was much of the hotel I had not seen due to our late arrival and early departure. Will likely go back if we visit the school again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank dbbohner
Thank you so much for writing about your stay with us. We love that you recognize how special historic hotels are.

Regarding your experience with Room Service, we are very pleased to see that the Room Service Manager made the correct decision and did not charge you for the extra breakfast. We know that when people order breakfast they are often sleepy, and mistakes can occur. We always try to err on the side of our guests, and that is what we did in your case.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hawthorne Hotel on your next visit to Salem, and hope you will plan to stay longer this time.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 24, 2010

I've both spent the night here (once just as recently as November) and been to events here. It's always been a pleasant, restful and charming experience. Customer service is exemplary--always friendly and helpful. There is great care taken to ensure the hotel maintains it's stately historic foundations while still providing modern comforts. The location is perfect--accessible by train, has a huge, free parking lot for guests and is close to all the Salem touristy stuff. It's a little pricey but there's something to be said for a unique and distinguished accommodation in an area that usually has bland chains.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pumpkinpasty
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2010
Wow, what a great review! Thank you so much for writing to give your fellow travelers your perspective on our historic hotel.

We are always very grateful when our loyal guests take this kind of interest in writing about our hotel. It is somewhat expensive to maintain an old building, and a challenge to keep a good mix of the hotel and interesting, along with providing the best of current technology.

We have spent a good deal of money this year, and will continue to spend more over the winter to further upgrade our rooms, especially our guest bathrooms, so stay tuned!

Thank you again for writing.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!