“Excellent hotel but was disappointed with the restaurant which served bland food.”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed April 24, 2010

The room we had was probably the best available as it was two separate rooms with antique furniture. We were terribly disappointed with the food as it was bland. Also, my steak was very chewy as was the lamb my spouse ordered.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2010

We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in our historic Hawthorne Hotel here in Salem, MA. Your kind comments about your room are greatly appreciated, and will be helpful to fellow travelers considering our hotel.

Of course, we are very concerned to learn that you were disappointed in your meal, and do hope that you said something to the dining room manager about your experience, as we know we are only as good as the last meal we served, and if someone was disappointed, we need to know that so we can make things right.

We do hope you did give us that opportunity, as it will be beneficial not just to you, the individual traveler, but to all future travelers to our establishment. I will be doing everything I can to find out if any other similar concern was brought to our attention, and what steps have been taken to make corrections.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed April 11, 2010

The Hawthorne Hotel is very nice hotel, great location, affordable rooms.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2010

We are especially appreciative of historical properties that have been well used over the years and not "recreated". The Hawthorne, built in 1926, is a "REAL" place. Although it has some of the quirkiness of any old property (some small rooms, dicey heating), at least the windows open and you don't die of unwanted heat and noisy fans, which are my particular peeves. The staff are invariably friendly and helpful--at reception, restaurants, elevators, rooms. We ate three dinners in the Tavern and enjoyed all meals very much. Ditto the one breakfast. Another strong feature in the central location of the hotel, a block form the outstanding Peabody Essex Museum and the Salem visitors' center, several blocks from the historical wharf area and the National Maritime Historic Site, and across the street from the large grassy Salem Common. Just a few blocks away is the awesome Historic District filled with 17th-19th century houses--works of architectural genius. Then there is the "witch story", which brings many visitors to Salem. The Hawthorne is close to all the sites associated with this story, as well. Make your next trip to the Northshore a visit to the Hawthorne! I plan to! (member of Historic Hotels of America [National Trust])

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2010

This is SUCH a helpful review for future guests, because it really captures the essence of the Hawthorne Hotel so well.

By highlighting exactly what it is that makes our historic property so unique and special, and by giving specific information, it shows future potential guests just what they can expect when they stay here.

Thank you so much!

Reviewed March 14, 2010

The weather was terrible for our visit to Salem, but that hardly mattered. The hotel was so lovely, the staff so friendly and our room was so comfortable that we didn't mind coming back to the hotel between dashed out in the rain.

We brought our big, old, deaf, hairy dog with us - and she was treated like a queen! Likewise, we were treated like the Queen Mother & Father. She got a choice of treats or a toy upon arrival, and was fondly greeted by staff every time we walked through the lobby.
Salem has some wonderful restaurants, but we ate all our meals at the hotel, either in the Tavern or Nathaniel's, main dining room. We didn't feel deprived one bit that the weather kept us close to the hotel. Every meal was wonderful. My favorite was a dessert of butter toasted pound cake with a strawberry ginger sauce and ice cream & whipped cream on the side. It was bliss! I literally dreamed of it that night!

If I could, I would go back at least once a year!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2010

This is so helpful for future guests to read. Sometimes people think that food in a hotel is not as good as in local restaurants -- however, our restaurants are well-known and respected by the 'locals' of
Salem, Marblehead, Beverly and beyond, so it was nice to read that you enjoyed them too.

We are so appreciative of our loyal guests. Thank you!

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed March 11, 2010

On Memorial Day weekend, my husband and I were bringing my mother to our vacation home in Maine and suggested, that we stop in Salem for a couple of nights on the way, as we often do. I have stayed in the Hawthorne Hotel several times and I love it! It is in the center of everything, museums, the Essex Street pedestrian mall, and the waterfront. Just park your car and leave it there until it's time to leave. I love the old world feel of the hotel, making it feel very unique and special. We had the breakfast included in our hotel stay and it was delicious, with top-notch service you would expect in 5 star restaurants. We stayed in a room suite so there was plenty of room for the three of us- hubby and I in the bedroom and my mom on the sofa bed in the living room, with a connecting bathroom with two separate entrances. We all enjoyed waking up, having a leisurely breakfast and then hitting the many things to do in the quaint town of Salem, well my mom and I hit the town and hubby stayed behind and enjoyed the free wifi at the Hawthorne. I look forward to my next visit to Salem, and of course, our stay at the Hawthorne.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2010

We are so pleased to read your review. Thank you so much for all the kind words. I am certain that this will be very helpful to other travelers.

Your comments about the terrific food and service at breakfast in Nathaniel's, and our complimentary WiFi throughout the hotel will be of special help to future guests considering the Historic Hawthorne Hotel.

Thanks again,

Reviewed March 3, 2010

Seriously, go to another hotel. I'm local and 7 months pregnant, checked in due to construction being done at our house I couln't be around during the pregnancy. When I called to make the reservation I asked for a room with a tub. When I checked in they gave me a room with a shower. I had to go back downstairs to get another room. The room I then checked into had no towels, or toilet paper. I figured I'd let that slide for the time being and order room service. I called the tavern, was put on hold for 15 minutes (mind you this is a Wednesday night in March). I hung up, walked down stairs to find 3 people at the bar and a very NASTY bartender. I told her I was the one on hold for 15 minutes. She proceeded to argue the fact I wasn't on hold that long, gave me a HUGE attitude, took my order and slapped the bill down in front of me. I'm 7 months pregnant, they know I'm staying at the hotel and I'M NOT EVEN OFFERED A DRINK. I tried to get her attention, and I got nothing but a dirty look. They proceed to give me a huge heavy tray with food to carry up to my room, still not being asked for a drink. I get upstairs, almost drop the tray 3 times and my burger taste like fish oil was put all over it, nasty. Needless to say after being there for only 2 and a half hours I was checking out. When I spoke to the hotel manager he wasn't willing to give my any money off my room. That's right, they made me pay $140 for 2.5 hours. He felt that giving me a discount on the food would be enough. I'm hoping this is enough said. Take it from a local, STAY AWAY

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
7  Thank bubbles531
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2010

This review is very difficult for us to accept, since this reviewer contacted us on her way out the door, and we apologized then, and told her then and there that she would not have to pay for a thing, and she did not pay for anything, so to say that she was charged when she was not is simply untrue.

Then, she contacted me the next day, and I doubled checked that she was not charged, as well as apologized profusely, and sent her a gift certificate as well, and she still continues to speak this way of us -- it is obviously very distressing to read.

At this point I am uncertain how we could have possibly made amends to her that would satisfy her.

We know we are not always perfect, but in this case we do not feel that this kind of harsh review is warranted, especially since no charges of any kind were made to her, and we offered other compensation to her as well.

The ONLY thing we can think of is that she wrote this review when she was frustrated (and that can certainly happen when things do not go well) and that she simply forgot to rescind it after speaking with me and accepting our apologies.

Reviewed February 16, 2010

We traveled to Salem with friends to visit other friends for Valentines weekend. We have been in Salem before, but never stayed at the Hawthorne. When booking the hotel (2 rooms), the suites appeared charming and comfortable. When we arrived, the lobby was warm and appealing and the receptionist friendly and helpful. A very pleasant start to the weekend! Our 6th floor rooms, however, were a totally different story. The rooms (#610 and 606) were extremely small and unbelievably hot. We turned off the heat (tried to put on AC, but came out hot) and opened window. The bathroom was incredibly small with no space, except a small shelf and window sill to put toiletries. Back to the room, we had to search and move a chest to find an outlet for a computer. A little adventure, but our weekend was beginning and we were in good spirits. After a pleasant dinner with friends in Marblehead, we returned to the "sauna," which was only habitable by leaving window wide open all night. The next morning, we remade the bed (going green and don't need sheets changed daily). Also, needed to remake bed to have room to walk around. We left for the day, leaving damp towels on the side of the tub in a heap (evidently, not the acceptable place, but were they left on the floor, there would be no room to move around the bathroom--it's tiny). Left the bathroom window open for ventilation, but had to prop that up with a can of hairspray. We left for the day. When we returned at night, wet towels were in the same place--no clean towels. We quickly received clean towels after calling the front desk. But, it was apparent that our room could not have been cleaned--garbages not emptied, dirty glasses, nothing wiped down. When we checked out, we discussed this with the different receptionist who explained that she had followed up on our concern with housekeeping. Evidently, it was "our fault" because we did not follow the proper procedure which is to put wet towels on the floor. She further indicated that our room had been serviced by the Housekeeping Manager. When we explained that that was questionable because nothing had been done, she insisted that that was the case. Evidently, from our perspective, the Housekeeping Manager did nothing. I made the bed. Again, no garbages emptied, nothing wiped down (sink, etc.), no clean glasses. The room our friends occupied had been cleaned. Although we got a cursory apology, it was repeatedly reiterated that we had not followed the proper procedure, therefore, it was our fault. We will return to Salem, but not to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank occasionaltraveler10
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2010

This was definitely a huge faux pas on our part, and we have contacted this guest already to apologize. In addition we have issued a credit to them as they should not have had to pay for such poor service.

Our housekeeping manager is thoroughly mortified that she missed this room, and then didn't recognize what she she have when the guest contacted us.

Our front desk staff is equally embarrassed about the way they handled this guest, and offer their sincerest apologies.

This was obviously a huge learning experience for our team, and we are always trying to learn from any mistake, so we appreciate knowing that we disappointed these guests, and hope that they will give us another try.

Juli Lederhaus

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!