“Great Salem spot... with one critique”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
New Jersey
“Great Salem spot... with one critique”
Reviewed November 2, 2009

We stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel from October 29th through November 1st for Halloween 2009. We booked a room a year in advance and were very excited to visit Salem for the first time. When we arrived the hotel was everything I imagined it to be. It felt cozy and inviting. We arrived after midnight and the woman at the front desk was so helpful and made us feel genuinely welcome. The room was very nice, it was quoted as being the smallest room in the hotel, but I have no complaints. I thought it was just perfect. The only negative thing I can say, although I am laid back enough to not have been too bothered, was that I found a toe nail clipping on the floor and a sanitary napkin wrapper under the dresser. Besides that no complaints at all, only a great review. I also have to say that the breakfast buffet was great and the service was truly the best.

After enjoying a wonderful time in Salem… a must see town for all those who have not been there… we spent our last night at the Halloween ball at the Hawthorne Hotel. My one and only true critique derives from this ball. My boyfriend and I spent a great deal of time designing creative costumes to wear. Upon arrival at the ball he and I spent the better part of the evening posing for pictures and loving every minute of it. The great disappointment was the couples/group costume contest. I was so shocked at how poorly run this contest was. Instead of being able to volunteer yourself for the contest or have a specific stand where judges sat, so that you could approach them for a quick meeting, the judges were supposedly floating around and handing out wristbands to those costumes they deemed good. The problem with this system is that you aren’t guaranteed to be seen by the judges since there were almost 1,000 people there. I decided to take it upon myself to speak with the woman running the contest she was at the stairs of the stage and I asked her if I could walk on stage with my boyfriend or at least see a judge to see if we could get a wristband and she was a nasty, unhappy person. I was taken aback by her rudeness. I walked away very disappointed in how all this was run. I realize that my boyfriend and I may not have won, but it would have made our night and had been so much more fun if we could have gotten on the stage and showed off what we had done. I am sure it would also have brightened up the night of at least three other couples who specifically came up to us and told us they were disappointed that we hadn’t even been nominated. I was very disappointed with the contest, but will not hold it against the hotel as a whole. I would still recommend this hotel to others and in fact I will stay there again.

1 Thank 82jersey
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2009
I love what you wrote about how warm and inviting the Hawthorne Hotel is, and the fact that you were made to feel so welcome late at night when you arrived. Those are exactly the kinds of feelings we hope to convey to each and every guest.

We do apologize for the tiny faux pas made by the room cleaners. Your comments will certainly be passed along to our executive housekeeper so we can do a better job of inspecting under the dressers.

Regarding the costume Ball, I hope you do recognize that with 1,000 guests, we have to limit the number of people who are allowed as semi-finalists, otherwise the Ball would go on for days! We did have 10 judges passing out the wrist bands for the contestants, and I know they were looking hard for the best costumes. I am sorry you were disappointed that you were not chosen this year, but there is always next year. We highly recommend you find a way to make your costumes unique, because we have seen all of the standards, and we are always looking for something we have not seen before.

Good luck in your quest for a great costume for next year.

We wish you much success and are so happy that you plan to return.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Turkish first
Boston
Reviewed October 29, 2009

It was nice to stay in a hotel that was not so cookie cutter, they way most hotels are nowadays. The staff was professional and the location could not have been better. Salem has some great eateries as well as plenty to do. Halloween definately brings the spirit into the Hawthorne! I will definately stay again next time my work takes me to the Northshore area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2009
Once again, it is so nice to see a guest who appreciates exactly what we have to offer here. Pointing out that we have such professional service staff members, with old school charm really does highlight our best assets.

If a traveler is looking for non-cookie cutter, the Hawthorne Hotel is definitely the best choice for that particular traveler. Thanks so much for pointing out what we work hard to achieve.

Maryland
Reviewed October 28, 2009

Stayed at the Hawthorne this past Sunday Oct. 25th-Tuesday Oct. 27th. This was our 4th visit to Salem and 4th stay at the Hawthorne. Flew in from Baltimore and was greeted with a packed & crazy crowd on Sunday. Had some trouble getting to the hotel due to some street closures due to the crowds. Police kept sending us to other closed roads making it a bit frustrating. After about 30-45 minutes of some "wild goose chase" directions, we decided to call the hotel directly for some advice on how to get there with the street closures. The young lady I spoke with was really wonderful. She was patient and friendly and got us around all the traffic mess and to the hotel in no time. Super! We got to the hotel and was pleasantly suprised to see there were parking lot attendants to monitor the lot. Showed our reservation letter and they directed us to a parking space and were friendly as well. We checked in at the desk and our room was ready as well. PERFECT!. After the trouble with the street closures, it was a wonderful experience to get parked and have a ready room. This hotel is really wonderful. The staff is always very friendly and nice and the atmosphere is really wonderful and pleasant. Beautiful lobby and LOVED the frsh hot coffee waiting for us in the lobby each morning. Really makes a BIG difference.

We had room #609. Nice enough room. Walk in closet, seperate bathroom and a GREAT BIG and wonderful shower stall room. The one thing I only have any issue with is maybe being an old building is how it's usually too warm in the rooms, even with the windows open, but you get used to it. Anyway, couple strange things happened during our stay. Sunday evening while sitting in our beds watching the TV, all of a sudden the TV just turned off. The remote was sitting on a table near the window away from both of us. We both looked at each other and thought, "that was weird". I made a comment that it was a ghost and tuned it back on. Laughingly said out loud " if there was someone in the room that turned it off, to do it again". Thank goodness it stayed on or we would've been out of there in a heartbeat. Then on Monday, left for the day to sightsee and when we came back, the room had been cleaned and everything was fine. Then we left again to grab something to eat @ Rockerfellas (outstanding food & drinks) and when we got back to the room, the drawer to the bedside table was open. Neither of us had opened it. Then that night while on the Haunted Footsteps tour, the guide asked if anyone was staying at the Hawthorne. We were the only ones and he asked what floor we were staying on and I said the 6th. He then said that the 3rd and 6th floors were haunted and I told him about the 2 incidents. Well, of course now knowing that the 6th floor was supposedly haunted, it was a restless night of sleep for both of us. Aside from the spooky things that occurred, we LOVE staying at the Hawthorne. Located in the heart of everything, wonderful staff, friendly, clean, beautiful lobby, and always our choice when visiting Salem. Thanks again for another great stay and a "spooky" visit! See you again soon!

Steve Carter & Bill Jutras

1 Thank vtsnowman62
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2009
It is so nice to read about how terrific our staff members were to these guests. That is what we really strive for here at the Hawthorne Hotel. We know we don't have any control over spooky things, but we certainly can work extra hard all the time to be sure we provide Hospitality with a capital H.

As for the television, I am pretty sure that had nothing to do with a ghost, and everything to do with an auto-limit switch that is built in to every hotel television. If the TV had been on for a long period of time, it will automatically shut itself off, to save energy. And if that was not the case, it could just be starting to malfunction.

In any case, we have brand new flat-screen, HD, digital televisions coming before the end of the year, so you will certainly have that to look forward to on your next visit.

Thanks so much for the glowing review. We sincerely appreciate hearing from all of our guests.

Sheffield
Reviewed October 24, 2009

What lovely staff at the Hawthorne. They couldnt have been more helpful and friendly. The rooms were great, location was excellent, and we loved Salem.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2009
What a terrific way to start my day, by reading this lovely review.

This long-time TripAdvisor member certainly takes the time to review many places, which makes this review all the more relevant.

Thanks so much for saying we are "brilliant" -- I don't think we have ever received that compliment before.

Juli Lederhaus,
Madiera Beach, Fl.
Reviewed October 21, 2009

My in laws go to Salem almost yearly and always stay at this hotel. My husband and I stayed there two nights (my in laws as well). The hotel has “old time” charm and is very centrally located. However, I would not stay there again.

Our room was in need of renovation… the bathroom paint was chipping, the bedspreads matched the shower curtain, and the TV was very small. The hallway carpets needed to be cleaned as well.

What was very disappointing was that one of our (out of two) bedspreads was heavily stained. When brought to the attention of the hotel staff, they informed us that they would change it for us- so we planned on sleeping in the other bed that night. The second night, we pulled back the bedspread and noticed what appeared to be dried pheghm or blood. We again brought this to the staff.

The staff (very pleasant and accommodating) offered to move us and upgrade. However, we were leaving the next morning and told them we would just sleep in the other bed (now that it had been changed). The staff offered us a discount on our overall stay which we accepted with thanks. It was not until the day that my husband told me that the original bedspread had never been changed, he just did not tell me so I would not be upset on our very short (and much needed) vacation.

Again, the staff was very nice about all of this, but it is unfortunate as I would not stay there again or could I recommend it. The beds were kind of too soft as well.
We had lunch at the Tavern, which was just “ok” (food and service wise). The elevator smelled a bit weird too, but worked well. Also, the light on our hairdryer kept flickering for no reason and my inlaws lamp kept flickering on and off… a bit weird

On a positive note, it was very centrally located, the shower/toilet were in separate areas which was nice (though the toilet/sink area was very, very small!), and the closet in our room was a huge.

5 Thank kathryninfl
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2009
I did learn about this couple's stay on Tuesday from their in-laws who called to tell me about it. I do wish they had called themselves, but in any case I was appeciative of the call, and wrote them a letter the very next day inviting them back for a complimentary two-night stay another time.

As stated in their review, their in-laws stay with us all the time, and had a very pleasant stay. Unfortunately, the issue with the bedspread was incorrectly addressed by staff, and I would certainly be as upset as they were by that incident.

It was good to note that they did recognize that the staff tried to upgrade them to another room -- just very disappointing to see the outcome.

Obviously not every stay can be perfect, and we did not come close to that with this stay. We are certainly appreciative of the time it took to write this review, and will use the comments to improve our operation for future guests.

London
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I arrived extremely early and the hotel staff was still able to check me in and also offered to take my bags in case this would not have been possible. They were very friendly and helpful when I had several questions regarding the town and its events for the day. Upon checking out, I didnt know how to get to my next hotel near the airport and the receptionist was kind enough to check the map online and also let me use the hotel phone to verify the transport to the hotel. The room was gorgeous, very big and clean with a comfortable bed and plenty of space to leave any bags. I am very pleased to have gotten a room in this hotel via TravelRepublic in an otherwise fully booked hotel as it is very close to all city activities which is a fantastic location and the Salem Witch Museum is right around the corner. In short, it was great!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Portsmouth, VA
Reviewed October 20, 2009

My wife and I both saw a figure in our room in the middle of the night. I woke up to what I thought was something rub against my feet and saw a dark transparent figure just hovering there. I stared at it for a few seconds in disbelief and was shocked to see my wife wide awake starting at too. She told me later that she thought she felt something rubbing against her leg and woke up right before I did. The figure floated backward towards the wall accross from the bed and seemed to pass right through the wall and disapear.

Despite the fact that it was a nice hotel and the staff was very friendly we just couldn't stay there anymore because we were both too scared. While we were packing our things, my wife noticed that her gold necklace was laid out in the shape of a heart on her nightstand. Neither of us remember putting it there that way which freaked us out even more.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank deer_splat_job
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2009
This is the kind of review that I am at a loss over what to do. We really have no control over what people might feel in this regard. I wish there was something that I could do.

I can only report that T.A.P.S. did a paranormal investigation at the Hawthorne Hotel several years ago, and that they would be very interested to know more about this guest's experience. However, there are no details here that I could present to them.

If any future guests want to know more about the TAPS investigation, it is available on YouTube for viewing.

Thanks to this couple for their kind words regarding how well-run our hotel is, and how friendly the staff was. We certainly do have some control over those issues, and are pleased to hear these attributes recognized.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!