“Great Staff at a Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
“Great Staff at a Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel for 3 weeknights during the month of October. I was shocked that they had any rooms available, as I made these reservations for the busiest month of the year for Salem only two weeks before. I suppose the weekdays will always be less crowded, but for anyone who has been to Salem before in October (we had been there several occasions throughout the seasons), you know it's busy all month long.

Indeed the hotel was pretty pricey, as are most of the historic inns, b&bs, and hotels in Salem (about 160$ per night...I guess around 170$ once all the taxes were added) and the rooms pretty darn small for the price paid. However, there were many things that made it worth the price. First and foremost: location, location, location. If you are spending some time in Salem, this is the best place to be, by far. Last October, we stayed out almost by 95 and had to drive in and, though not a long drive, it was a bit of a pain, especially after a late night of ghost tours. Also, we had to pay 10$ a day to park in Salem's garage when we drove in. Staying at the Hawthorne, we could make use of their ample free off-street parking, and we could just run right back to our room if we needed a mid-day nap (which we did everyday b/c we were busy!) And though the room was small, it was cozy, and everything worked well. The bathroom door creaked loudly, but I personally thought it added to the spooky October ambiance that most people come to Salem to find, and my boyfriend and I had fun spooking each other with that creak. We also had a great view of the Witch Museum and the Salem Common from our window.

Another perk of staying here was the staff. Everyone from the front desk staff to the cleaning staff to the waiter at Nathaniel's restaurant was very friendly and accomodating.

Speaking of Nathaniel's, which is the hotel's rather fine dining restaurant (read: pretty expensive), it was very very good. I am not one to love spending ample amounts of money for food, but this was quite good. In fact, I had the best salad I have ever had...their raspberry vinagrette salad, which if I recall has field greens, raspberries, mandarin oranges, candied...walnuts perhaps, and this great raspberry and what tasted like balsamic vinager dressing. It was very very good, and they served a lot of it...not just the little tiny serving that a fine dining menu might typically offer.

All in all, the Hawthorne was a great place to stay. Rather expensive for the size room and such, but during October especially the location was terrific and totally worth it.

8 Thank NauticaSea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Turkish first
Santa Clara, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2005

We stayed at the Hawthorne on Oct 31, 2005. The staff was nice even though it was a very busy night. The rooms were clean but small. There's nothing outstanding about this hotel. Food was ok, but the cook couldn't seem to cook a steak past raw that night. A guest before me had to send his steak back, so I was hoping that they would get mine right. I ended up just eating our appetizers because we were pressed for time.

2 Thank lphillips
Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2005

I expected more from a hotel that was on the Historic Register. The rooms were tiny for American standards. There was little water pressure, difficult to control the water temp, and hard to work the thermostat in the room. The staff was uninterested in helping. Dinner in the resturant was "less than average" bar food. The location was definitely convenient if that's a prime concern.

4 Thank smclarty
Staten Island,New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2005

Me and my girlfriend stayed at the hawthorne Hotel october 14th-16th 2005 all i can say is that there is no better place to stay while visiting salem than the hawthorne hotel check in was quick and easy I put a request to check in early and they had my room ready for me by 1pm the room was top notch one of the cleanest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in .Let me also clear a few things up there was no problem getting hot water I stayed on the 4th floor and the water in my shower was burning hot after running for about 2 minutes also yes the bathroom in the room is small but lets think about this,when your on vacation how much time do you plan on spending in the bathroom of your hotel room ??? so yes the bathrooms are small but they are also spotless the bathroom in my room was immaculate also at the end of your stay you will wanna take the bed in the room home with you this was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. The lobby In the hotel is also a great place to be you can have a few drinks in the tavern or eat at nathaniels both places are great . This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in the rooms are so warm and cozy that you do not even feel like you are staying in a hotel when your at this place its like being at home .The hotel is right in the center of all the attractions going on in salem everything to do in salem is within short walking distance from the hotel .Overall this place was great and I will deff be back, if your staying in salem the Hawthorne Hotel is the place to be .

5 Thank Richie217
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2005

We Love this Hotel!!! We have been going to the Hawthorne for about 5 years now, and it just keep getting Better. The staff is Top Notch, and it has all the comforts and style of a 5-star hotel, and well worth the money. Everything is right outside their front doors, Literally all of spookie Salem is a short walk away.You never need to drive anywhere, for everything is centered right around the Impressive Grand Hotel. The rooms are Spacious and wonderfully decorated, the beds are to die for, you will sleep like a baby. Give this place a try whenever you stop in for a Salem stay, you will Not be Sorry :)

1 Thank BROOK_LYNN
Twinsburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2005

An attractive, boutique hotel with outstanding staff! This hotel is right in the heart of everything there is to do in Salem. The Salem Witch museum next door is by far the best museum for a lesson on the witch hysteria of 1692. The lobby, restaurants and rooms are all lavishly decorated however the bathrooms in the sleeping rooms are quite tiny! We were here for a business meeting and were most impressed with the quality of the food and the attentiveness of the staff. Everyone bent over backwards to make sure the stay was enjoyable. I would highly recommend this hotel. It even allows pets for those travelers who must bring them along.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
nb, canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2005

We stayed at the Hawthorne on the 28th of August. I thought it was the perfect hotel for a stay in Salem. It is almost directly across from the Salem Witch museum which was the attraction that I was specifically there to see. The rooms are dated - but that's the point. We had breakfast the next morning in their restaurant (Nathaniel's) and it was very good. Wonderful atmosphere. I would have loved to have had dinner there because their menu was very appealing. My only negative comment was that the walls seemed rather thin as you could very clearly make out conversations in the adjacent rooms. The Hawthorne is in the perfect location to wander Salem's downtown area.

Stayed August 2005
2 Thank sammeybella
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!