“Top Notch Hotel. I highly recommend it.”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
New Jersey, USA
“Top Notch Hotel. I highly recommend it.”
Reviewed July 3, 2009

Nothing to complain about here. :) Top Notch Hotel, excellent service, sparkling clean room - even my small inexpensive room was spotless and had every amenity in it. No kidding! I was exhausted by the time I arrived in town and was very pleased indeed with this hotel.
Excellent Staff & Service,
Great Location, Spotless and Comfortable Room, Delicious food - love the Bar/Tavern room - fireplace burned aromatic wood (ahh), Beautiful place.
*Excellent across the board. I'd definitely stay here again!
Location is perfect, center of town, everything in easy walking distance.
**Salem is a very walkable town, good for me as I use a cane, due to injuries. There's something for everyone here; its not just for witches but it will cast a spell on you. :-)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2009
What a nice review! Thank you so much for recognizing what we do, day in and day out for our guests.

We are very pleased that you saw the 'real' Salem, and that you had a great visit.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Turkish first
San Jose, CA
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Our family of five was in Salem to visit the Salem Witch Museum. We needed to print our boarding passes for Southwest, but our hotel was in Boston. The staff at the museum suggested we visit the Hawthorne as they would have a printer and a computer. I was prepared to pay for the service or be directed elsewhere but the front staff generously offered to complete the online check-in and print our boarding passes as a courtesy. You couldn't ask for a better experience.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed June 27, 2009

Visited this hotel for a conference but brought my family along to explore the city. Conference facilities were great and took care of everything we needed. Hotel does show its age but not worn or tired. Rooms are a bit small, we were cramped with a family of 4, but would be fine traveling along for business. Hotel is centrally located to all the attractions in Salem. Plenty of parking at this facility which is very hard to find in Salem and they have complementary coffee in the lobby early in the morning.

The hotel seemed to be a destination for family gatherings, weddings, and business travel. They do allow small pets at this location. For business travel the hotel was adequate for my needs for personal / vacation travel I would probably seek other accommodations, but I prefer off the beaten path and water front locations...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank 49-cj3a
Holbrook, New York
Reviewed June 25, 2009

Exremely overpriced for the non-service you received. Small, old rooms and mattresses.
Rooms too hot and noisy-was told there was airconditioning, was very particular about my questioning-was told oh yes-no there was not any-switched over antiquated system can't run both in hotel at same time. Exhaust fumes from kitchen when you opened a window. Terrible!! Very disappointed! It was our anniversary. Do not go there. Staff was rude and manager was worse than the staff.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank smallboo
Newport RI
Reviewed June 23, 2009

My wife and I enjoyed our stay greatly.
I agree that the rooms are a bit small, but perfectly adaquate.
The staff was friendly and accomodating.

I would definately stay again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Iowa
Reviewed June 20, 2009

My husband and I were on the East cost for a wedding and we decided to swing by Salem to see what was....haunting. The date of our stay was June 10, 2009, the anniversary of the first witch execution. The rooms were 'cozy'. I hate using that word but that is exactly what they were. Not too dirty, but I didn't get an extremely clean feeling either. The bottom of the bathtub/shower was...um... spongy. I tried to get scared but the only thing that happened was the alarm clock went off at midnight -- probably not a ghost. The staff was friendly. The location is GREAT! Witch museum is right across the street. Salem Common, next door.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Freedom, PA
Reviewed April 5, 2009

My daughter and I visited Salem, MA to do a fun educational trip for her report on the Salem witch trials. The Hawthorne was centrally located, and very appropriate for such a historical city. I was worried when I read some of the other reviews, and would not recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a "luxury" hotel experience. However, it is quaint, historic, friendly, and enhances the true "Salem experience." After taking the Salem ghost tour (www.salemghosttours.com...highly recommended!! Ask for tour guide Michael, who is a walking encyclopedia of history--cannot say enough good things about him.), my daughter was particularly excited to stay at the Hawthorne which is rumored to be haunted. The beds were cozy, and although the room temperatures are a bit temperamental due to the age of the hotel, we were quite comfortable. The bathroom IS TINY. But again, we loved staying in a hotel that is a piece of Salem history. It was a

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank beachdeb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!