“Great for Business or Pleasure”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Falmouth, Massachusetts
“Great for Business or Pleasure”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I stayed at the Hawthorne this week for a last minute overnight business trip. From the moment Sara at the front desk answered my 7 am phone call for a reservation that night to the moment I checked out I experienced nothing but professionalism and utmost courtesy from the staff. My room was spacious and impeccably clean. I had a good lunch at the Tavern - Kelly the bartender was busy but very friendly. The lobby is a throwback in time and very inviting to sit and people watch. I worked from my room in the morning and my room service breakfast was prompt and quite good. The "business center" is really a shared office but it does the trick - a working computer and printer which is more than I have sometimes found in more formal hotel business centers!. The location could not be more convenient - complimentary parking behind the hotel was easy and the entire city is steps away from the front entrance. I will be returning for another work trip soon and will definitely be staying at the Hawthorne again, but I also am looking forward to a romantic weekend get away there in the fall. It will be great for both types of trips!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Genevieve H,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you felt comfortable and welcomed by our staff from the moment you first reserved your room with us. We choose team members who we feel will fit well with our belief that we are not in the hotel business but in the hospitality business, and so I will pass along your compliments to Sarah and Kelly.

I’m glad you were able to experience our in-house restaurants. The Tavern is certainly a lovely place to relax and enjoy lunch, and I’m glad you enjoyed that and your room service.

When you are able to come back for pleasure rather than business, be certain to go to our website or speak with our Front Desk team about our special packages. We have a romance package that is quite popular and may be just what you need for your fall getaway.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warm regards,

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Turkish first
Freedom, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 19, 2014

My family and I stayed here one night so that we could tour Salem for two days. The hotel is in a great location. It's a beautiful historic hotel that is clean & well maintained. Our room was spacey and even had two closets for our luggage, which was helpful since there were four of us in the room. However, the bathroom is very small.

1 Thank Tracy G
Dear Tracy G,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our central location in historic Salem added to the overall enjoyment of your trip.

Because we are a historic hotel, our rooms and bathrooms do tend to be smaller than a more contemporary hotel, but offer a wider variety of room types and sizes. Should you stay with us again, I recommend speaking with one of our Front Desk clerks about which of our thirteen room types may better suit your needs.

Lakeville, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The hotel is very well kept and full of history. Excellent location to the downtown area and trolley. There is a large parking lot in the back of the hotel and 2 restaurants within the hotel.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the air conditioning fans, which a lot of them do because of the shape of the ho...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear momdukes16,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you appreciated our history and the unique atmosphere it lends to the Hotel.

We consider ourselves very lucky to be ideally located in historic Salem, allowing our guests to pull up to our front door, check in, park their car behind the Hotel, and walk to any of the city’s many excellent attractions and shopping districts. I’m pleased you took advantage of this during your visit, and hope you enjoyed exploring Salem.

I appreciate you taking the time to share an additional review of our pub-style restaurant, Tavern on the Green, on its own TripAdvisor page. This kind of detail has proven helpful to fellow TripAdvisor readers who may not be familiar with the Hawthorne and its restaurants. Thank you for your thoughtfulness.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We had an excellent stay on 6/8/14. The staff was nice and the room comfortable and clean. I would definitely stay there again. One tiny quibble i would offer a tv guide to make finding something to watch on tv easier.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Cristina A,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found your room to be welcoming and well taken care of. I will be certain to make sure the Housekeeping team knows how much you appreciated their hard work.

We are currently working with our cable provider to update our service and channel listings. We hope that when we are done our guests will be able to enjoy a better in-room television experience.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Warm regards,

Mechanicsville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 13, 2014

My husband and I mixed business and pleasure for a one night stay at the Hawthorne Hotel.
The staff was very friendly and helpful especially Lexie our server at breakfast.
Our room was clean and pleasant and the hotel's central location was close to museums, restaurants & shops.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Vonceil,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us, and appreciate your kind words for our staff. I will be certain to share your compliments with Lexie and the rest of our team.

As you mentioned, the Hawthorne is lucky to be ideally located in historic Salem. Our overnight guests are guaranteed parking, and are therefore able to check in, park their car, and enjoy walking to any of the city’s many great attractions and excellent shopping district. I hope you had a little time to explore our lovely city during your visit.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Best,

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful historic hotel. The rates are reasonable. The staff are very attentive, courteous and professional. The location is ideal. It's easy walking distance to all the attractions including the train station if traveling to Boston.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Joe S,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay, and that you appreciated so many of those things which we feel make the Hawthorne a wonderful place to stay, from our welcoming staff to our excellent location.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

From the moment we arrived nothing was too much to ask for from the front desk. Liz and Dilya went out of her way to make our stay enjoyable. We really felt welcomed at this hotel. The location is great. We were able to walk to all the attractions we wanted to see.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Judith C,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and am glad that the friendliness of our Front Desk team added to your stay. I will be sure to share your kind words with Liz and Dilya, as well as the rest of our clerks.

We are very lucky to be centrally located in historic Salem, placing us within walking distance of the city’s many great attractions. In addition to being able to enjoy nearby Pickering Wharf and Salem’s ever-growing shopping district, our guests can easily explore many museums and historic sites. The Peabody Essex Museum in particular is a hot spot right now due to the new Turner and the Sea exhibit that just opened. I hope you enjoyed walking around the city!

Best,

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!