“Treated me like family - Awesome Stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
“Treated me like family - Awesome Stay!”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

From the moment we arrived nothing was too much to ask for from the front desk. Liz and Dilya went out of her way to make our stay enjoyable. We really felt welcomed at this hotel. The location is great. We were able to walk to all the attractions we wanted to see.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Judith C,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and am glad that the friendliness of our Front Desk team added to your stay. I will be sure to share your kind words with Liz and Dilya, as well as the rest of our clerks.

We are very lucky to be centrally located in historic Salem, placing us within walking distance of the city’s many great attractions. In addition to being able to enjoy nearby Pickering Wharf and Salem’s ever-growing shopping district, our guests can easily explore many museums and historic sites. The Peabody Essex Museum in particular is a hot spot right now due to the new Turner and the Sea exhibit that just opened. I hope you enjoyed walking around the city!

We hope to see you again soon.

Best,

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Turkish first
Bourne, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 11, 2014

The Hawthorne Hotel was the perfect place for my daughter's bridal shower. The staff was friendly and so helpful, the location was great for everyone, and the food was delicious. We had a brunch buffet and people continued to go back for more as the shower went on. We had the shower in Sophia's Room which was bright and open. I would recommend the Hawthorne Hotel to anyone planning a special event, it was perfect!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Patricia F,

Congratulations to your daughter! As I’m sure you know, with our many warm and welcoming function rooms, we host a number of wonderful events at the Hotel. Each and every one is a chance for us to make a special occasion unique and wonderful, and I’m so pleased that we were able to do that for you, your daughter, and the rest of your family (and soon-to-be family). I will be certain to pass along your compliments to our Catering and Banquets teams, as well as to our Chefs.

Thank you for sharing your kind words with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

cameron
Reviewed June 9, 2014

From the time I called from Texas to make my reservation until the moment they called my cab to pick me up for my ride to the airport, the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful! Every staff member was pleasant and wanted to make sure my stay was enjoyable and effort free. They went above and beyond to make sure my trip to Salem was memorable and stress free!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear donellekeen,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and appreciate your compliments for our excellent staff. We take great care to select team members who we believe will offer our guests the hospitality we know they deserve. It’s always wonderful to hear from our guests that they received warm and friendly service throughout their stay. I will be sure to share your kind words with our team.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Spent 5 days at the hotel for a seminar. The staff at the front desk was very attentive and knowledgeable. The house keeping staff was quick to respond and did a great job maintaining the room. I regret I did not have time to tour the many museums nearby. Restaurants and shopping were all in walking distance. A twenty minute walk to the train station put us in the center of Boson in 40 minutes.

Dear Thomas W,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and am glad that the Front Desk and Housekeeping teams made your visit that much more enjoyable with their helpful and friendly attitudes, as well as their technical expertise.

As you noted, Salem is full of many wonderful attractions, restaurants, and a growing shopping district, everything within a short walk from the Hawthorne. Although you did not get to do much sightseeing during your trip, I hope you still enjoyed the beauty of Salem.

We hope to welcome you back again soon, perhaps for a little longer so that you have the opportunity to visit a few of the attractions. The Peabody Essex Museum in particular has just opened a new exhibit, Turner and the Sea, which has been drawing much attention.

Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I experienced a recent visit to Salem and had a 5 night stay at the historic Hawtorne Hotel. My stay was magnificent. The room and closet were a bit small but to enjoy the ambience of the hotel and the city, it was totally worth it. And let me remind you, I did not visit Salem to sit in the room. The hotel lets your mind wonder to how the early travelers must have felt at such a beautiful grand hotel. The staff was so friendly and accommodating. Will definitely stay again if I make it back to Salem.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the park
Dear SouthernBelle1022,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you took advantage of the Hotel’s excellent location to enjoy the many attractions that this city has to offer.

It is true that as a historic hotel, the Hawthorne’s rooms vary in size and style from those of a more contemporary chain hotel. While most hotels offer two room types, we offer thirteen room types, all of which are individually furnished to offer a unique, comfortable atmosphere to our guests. On your next visit, I suggest speaking with our Front Desk clerks about our many different room types to determine which may work best for you. Our website is also an excellent resource, offering detailed descriptions of each room type, along with approximate square footage.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Best,

Emporia, Kansas
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I did not know this was a historic hotel until I arrived at my conference. Therefore upon entering my "European" cubicle I was at first totally disappointed...sorry I'm used to Hyatt, Hilton and Marriott. Since I was seldom there it wasn't intolerable but it was cramped for one person. However the bed was great, the room temp comfortable, and the overall hotel was grand. I just wish I'd had more warning.r

Room Tip: City view and if more than one person, request a larger room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear marc g,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you found your bed to be comfortable, and that overall your stay in our Hotel was good. I hope that your conference was enjoyable as well.

Because we are a historic hotel, we offer thirteen room types, all varying in size and style. This is quite unlike contemporary chain hotels, which offer one or two room types. I understand it’s difficult when booking through a conference, but should you stay with us again, I encourage you to speak with our Front Desk clerks, who are always happen to explain the specifics of any of our rooms. You may also go online to see pictures of each room type, along with a description and approximate square footage.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

Spent 5 nights at the hotel. Our room had 2 beds, 2 bathrooms and plenty of space overall. Front desk staff was very friendly. We did have a small issue with shower but hotel was sold out so we mentioned it upon check out. Thanks for provid ing outstanding accommodations for our conference.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Tina J
Dear Tina J,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that you enjoyed your conference as well. With so many different room types, and a large (for us) conference taking up about half of the hotel, it is a bit of the “luck of the draw” in terms of who gets to have the rooms with two bathrooms. They are my favorite rooms in the hotel!

I’m sorry to hear that you had an issue with your shower. I wish you had mentioned it during your stay as we would have been able to have our maintenance staff fix it, but we do appreciate your mentioning it upon checkout so that it could be rectified for future guests.

We hope to see you again soon.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!