“Beautiful, historical hotel with great staff”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
“Beautiful, historical hotel with great staff”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I'd been wanting to stay here for years and finally got the opportunity--and I was not disappointed! When I walked into the lobby, I felt like I had stepped back in time. And I knew I had when I opened the door to my room. I felt like I was back in the 1930s when people lived in hotels. My room had a darling bathroom, a walk-in closet and another small closet. It had a great, comfy bed and a nice sofa. The hotel has kept the integrity of its history with just the right amount of modern conveniences. The soaps and lotion are Pharmacopia, and they are fantastic.

Regarding the service, the staff is wonderful. Friendly and helpful. After I checked in and went up to my room, a staff member called me to see if I needed anything. Very nice! I was also selected as the VIP guest of the day. They gave me a gift certificate for one of their restaurants and said I could choose what state/country flag for them to fly the next day. Being from Illinois, that was the flag I chose. It was a nice touch and made me feel a bit special and proud of my home state.

I had the crab cake sandwich in the Tavern on the Green restaurant, and it was delicious. So was the chocolate banana bread pudding.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. It's right near the shops, restaurants and everything that makes Salem such a great town.

I highly recommend the Hawthorne Hotel. They will take great care of you! The value for the money is high. I thought it was a pretty decent price. I also hear it is a wonderful place to hold your wedding.

One more thing, they still have the old glassed-in mail shoot between the elevators (drops down to the first flood). I dropped postcards to my daughter in there and wished she was there to do it, too. She'd get a big kick out of it. I know I did!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Minda P
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
o Dear CemeteryMind:

Wow, you can certainly write a valuable hotel review! I don’t think there is any aspect you omitted, which will make this commentary so useful to fellow TripAdvisor users.

Your specific commentary on such things as our in-room amenities, our excellent menu items, and even our original-to-the-property mail chute paint a great word picture of our historic hotel.

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We look forward to welcoming you (and your daughter) back soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Turkish first
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I spent an overnight with my college kids on winter break. The hotel is beautiful - stepping back in time to the age of grand hotels. The staff were all friendly, professional and a pleasure to deal with. Room was larger than expected and spotless. Same for bath which had some very nice verbena toiletries. We will definitely be back in the warmer weather when all the shops are open again. We had plenty to do for an overnight tho. Supper and breakfast was awesome at Nathaniels. Props to Scratch Kitchen down the street as well. We had an amazing lunch there. If you want a reading, see Demetrius across the street at Crow Haven. He was spot on.

Room Tip: 414 - 2 Queens,spacious, facing front street views, shower curtain closed on it's own overnight...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear posbldremr :

Thank you so very much for writing to bring your perspective to other travelers visiting Salem. Your specific comments about both your stay in our hotel as well as your meals in our restaurants will help others know what to expect when choosing our centrally located historic hotel.

In addition, your recommendations for other businesses such as Scratch Kitchen and Crow Haven Corner will be helpful too.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Boston, MA
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I stayed here for one night last weekend because I had a 20 mile race the next day that was only a block away. The hotel is quite beautiful and has a lot of character. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The manager (Elizabeth?) really worked hard to resolve an issue I had with noise: I stayed in room 318 and when the people in room 320 (next door) returned to their room, the noise was awful. It seriously sounded like they were in my room talking. This was not their fault; people are allowed to talk. But there was no soundproofing between the two rooms. Luckily, the manager was able to switch me to another room that didn't have anyone staying on either side of it. She even helped me move my stuff. It was a pain to move because I had already unpacked, but there was no noise in my new room. I ended up getting a great night's sleep. The room was very comfortable and spacious, though some of the rooms at the hotel (including my original room) are quite small. So check on the size of your room when you book. The products in the bathroom were of excellent quality and smelled really nice. The bathroom is small but serviceable. The hotel parking lot is relatively small and some of the parking spots are tricky to get in/out of when the lot is full. Thankfully smoking is not permitted inside but the area just outside of the entrance was very smoky and I had to pass through people smoking (but this happens everywhere). I tried to eat lunch at the Tavern the next day but it was so crowded that there was a wait and I had to leave.

I ended up being selected as the VIP Guest of the Day when I checked in which was really nice. I got to choose the flags that they displayed outside the next day and got a coupon to the restaurant. This was a nice surprise.

The hotel is in walking distance of a lot of the great attractions in Salem. It's a beautiful hotel with charm. Just keep in mind that older hotels might not have as much soundproofing between rooms. Also, there was a wedding there the night I stayed and I could hear the music from it so you might want to ask about weddings when you book. Overall, I would recommend the hotel for its beauty and for the excellent customer service I received to resolve my noise issue.

Room Tip: Consider the proximity to the reception area if a wedding is occurring. Rooms vary greatly in size...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear rtsb22,

Thank you for writing such a comprehensive review of the Hawthorne Hotel! I’m pleased that when you encountered an issue, that our Evening Manager, Elizabeth, handled the situation appropriately, and that you enjoyed a restful night in your new room. I will be certain to pass along your compliments to her for her handling of this situation. It may also interest you to know that we are looking into soundproofing for our guestroom doors. We have already done a test on one door and found that it greatly improves the soundproofing between rooms and the hallways. You can be certain that will be applied to the connecting door between 318 and 320 as well.

I’m sure that fellow Trip Advisor readers will appreciate your recommendation that those not as familiar with the Hawthorne inquire about room location and size when making a reservation. As an historic hotel, we offer thirteen different room types, all varying in size and style. Full descriptions of these room types, including approximate square footage, can be found on our website. Our front desk clerks are also more than happy to discuss room needs and availability when taking a reservation.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback with us. It is the responses from our guests that prove most valuable to us as we continue to grow and improve our Hotel.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I recently had my wedding at the Hawthorne Hotel and also had stayed there with a group of my guests. The wedding exquisite. My fairy tale wedding was so unforgettable. Every detail taken care of thanks to the special efforts of Alaina Ferriero, my favorite sales coordinator and Liz my favorite wedding coordinator. Not to mention everyone else involved. All performed above and beyond their duties. The rooms at the hotel are spacious, clean and decorated to perfection. Looking out your window to see the Salem Common is breathtaking. I would recommend any function to be held there and I certainly would not hesitate to book a reservation. I am planning another one for April. I can't forget to also mention a special thanks to Juli the General Manager. Some one who really cares!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank smoopie57
Dear smoopie57,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m so pleased that you and your new husband chose the Hawthorne at which to celebrate your wedding. We host a number of events at the Hotel, and we take great pride in helping to make each and every one special. I will be certain to pass along your kind words to Alaina and Liz, and to everyone else in our great Banquets and Catering teams.

Congratulations again. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 2, 2014

The Hawthorne Hotel is top notch. You will not be disappointed. The staff is friendly. The rooms are spotless. The location in historical Salem, perfect. I will stay there again for sure. I stayed in one of the smaller rooms, very cozy.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Rmonska,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you appreciated our central location in downtown Salem. Thank you for also recognizing our great staff for their friendliness.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best,

San Francisco
Reviewed March 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed here the evening before the BlackCat Road Race. The hotel is very warm and inviting with the charm grand old hotels can only offer. The check in staff were very pleasant and accommodating. Our room was cozy. Certainly not as large as a chain but certainly ample size for two. As a bonus, it just happened to overlook the finish line for the race. The bed was incredibly comfortable and I was surprised to come back from a short stroll around the block to a phone call asking if everything was fine with our room.
We had a discount voucher for Nathanial's so decided to give it a try. Very elegant room with great ambiance and a piano player. The menu was nice but Ala-carte except for the back page which we ordered off. The food was plated very well, almost looked to good to eat. My steak was cooked perfectly and my wife's stuffed shrimp were excellent., The only complaint was the temperature of the premade items was luke warm. The chowder while awesome wasn't real hot, nor were the mashed potatoes or vegetables. From all the other reviews, I'm attributing this perhaps to the large wedding reception going on in the grand Ballroom.
Overall, we couldn't have been moer pleased with the hotel and staff. We are looking forward to a return trip later in August when my wife runs a race in Gloucester.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear itcsburnett,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us, and that your room happened to be in the perfect spot overlooking the finish line for the Road Race. Because we are a historic hotel, we offer thirteen different room types of varying sizes and styles. Not all of our rooms are quite as big as the standard block rooms of a chain Hotel, but we think the individualized furnishing and coziness you spoke of more than makes up for it!

I’m also glad that overall you enjoyed dining with us in Nathaniel’s. I would like to know more about your experience, so that I can find out what might have happened that evening. If you have the time, I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you. You can call me at 978-744-4080, or e-mail info@hawthornehotel.com and ask for Juli.

Thank you again for your feedback. Such detailed reviews are valuable to us as we continue to look for ways to improve the experience of our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back again.

Gaffney, SC
Reviewed February 27, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this dog friendly hotel February 24th and 25th, 2014 and loved it! The location is fantastic, the beds comfortable (not quite HIE comfortable, but nice), and the staff is incredibly friendly. I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Salem!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear morris003,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to make our guests (and their furry friends!) feels comfortable and welcome from the moment they step into the Hotel, and so I will be certain to pass along your compliments to our wonderful staff.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best,

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!