“Great service, rooms, and food”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Boston
“Great service, rooms, and food”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed for Valentine's day! Great, relaxing time, near attractions we wanted to see (PEM and House of Seven Gables) and good food and service in the restaurants - The Tavern and Nathaniels. We plan to go again.

• Stayed February 2014
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear CharleneBoston,

Thank you for your concise review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your Valentine’s Day celebration with us, and that you took advantage of our two great on-site restaurants, Nathaniel’s and Tavern on the Green.

I’m glad you also appreciated our ideal location in downtown Salem. We are within walking distance of both the Peabody Essex Museum and the House of Seven Gables, as well as the city’s many other great attractions.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Turkish first
Springfield - Springfield Township, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I spent 4 nights at the hotel, my first visit there, during a business week in New England. While not a "chain hotel", I sought it out because I'd heard it offered an excellent alternative to those other establishments I often stay in during a typical week of business travel. I couldn't have been happier. They had everything I needed from high speed internet to a great tavern and restaurant, and were located right in the historic area of Salem. We had heavy snows and I was snowed in there for one of the days, and found it quite relaxing and enjoyable to be able to soak in some of the area history. Everyone including the GM, Juli, the tavern and restaurant staff, and all of desk personnel (Liz, Sarah and Melissa) , were very personable and went out of their way to make my stay relaxing, enjoyable, and stress free. The next time my business calls for me to stay in Boston area, I'll try and make this my selected hotel.

p.s. The tavern has a great selection of "non-traditional fare" on the menu!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear O J,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you appreciated our historic atmosphere as a nice change from the standard rooms of a chain hotel. We pride ourselves on the Hotel’s history, and enjoy being able to offer a unique, comfortable place for our guests to enjoy and feel at home. Hearing that your stay was “stress-free” seems to sum up that feeling of being at home.

I appreciate your kind words for our wonderful staff as well, and will be certain to pass along your compliments to our Front Desk and Dining Services teams.

Stoughton, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We stayed Wednesday and Thursday nights.
Wonderful time. The front desk girls were superb. Melissa, Sarah and Liz
Very informative and friendly. Also a shout out for Andy. well done..

We will definitely be back.

The early morning paper and coffee in the lobby, excellent. Quiet and cozy.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear John Z,

Thank you for your concise review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the delicious coffee and choice of several newspapers was a welcome start to your mornings.

I appreciate your kind words for our Front Desk team as well. I will be certain to pass along your compliments to all of our clerks, and to Andy our Front Office Manager.

Richmond, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2014

As a surprise for my birthday, my husband gave me a trip to Salem and Boston Mass. We stayed at the Hawthorne for three nights (Feb 3-5) and even though we were stranded in a snowstorm on Feb 5th and all the museums and shops were closed, we still had a wonderful time. The hotel is a gracious old hotel. The ambiance was wonderful...elegant and stately she is! For the age of the hotel, it was meticulously maintained. The staff at the front desk were helpful and beyond and answered all of our questions quickly and thoroughly. The lobby was filled with beautiful antique furniture and with the newspapers and coffee available, all I wanted to do was just sit and read! The rooms were huge and very well laid out. We had a room on the 4th floor and it had two queen size beds and still tons of room for a desk, dresser, tv armoire, large round table and two antique chairs. Lots of windows for light and two walk-in closets. An amazing room. The first night there, we had arrived late and they served us dinner in the Pub. A very cosy room with lots of wood and a fire on in the fireplace. Our other two nights at the hotel, we ate in the dining room. A beautifully decorated room with lots of space between the tables to give privacy. The dinner menu was amazing and we were very pleased at the choices available (the scallops and shrimp in a béarnaise sauce with risotto was to die for!!!!). Breakfast at the Hawthorne was just as much a taste bud delight....from omelettes to eggs benedict to fruit and their wonderful oatmeal...a real treat and I felt very spoiled having been able to stay at the Hawthorne and enjoy! The dining room staff were excellent, particularly Maria, who served us two meals with a flare and style all her own....she was wonderful. We had done a day trip to Boston and had reminisced with her over our visit to the Italian district. Even our snow day worked out perfectly. The front desk staff gave us tons of suggestion and our walking trip through Salem was a treat! I would go back to Hawthorne Hotel in a minute and actually plan to and next time stay longer! Hopefully next time, I will see a ghost...they were scarce this visit! Thank you Maria, Juli and Kayleigh....it was a pleasure!

Dear J L,

Thank you for your lovely review of the Hawthorne Hotel! I’m pleased that you enjoyed your surprise visit to Salem, and that the snow did not keep you from enjoying your stay with us.

As one of the Historic Hotels in America, we take great pride in the Hawthorne’s history and charming, unique atmosphere. Each of our rooms is individually furnished, and I’m glad that you found your room to be welcoming and bright. Although we do our best to retain the Hotel’s historic feel, we still make sure that we provide our guests with all of the modern amenities they need. This is why we offer free Wi-Fi throughout the Hotel, and why all of our rooms come with flat screen televisions and iPod docking stations.

I appreciate you sharing so much detail about your delicious meals at our two great restaurants, Tavern on the Green and Nathaniel’s! No doubt your specific recommendations will be helpful to fellow Trip Advisor readers who may not be as familiar with our offerings. I will be certain to pass along your compliments to our Chefs, and to Maria in Nathaniel’s.

Last but not least, thank you for recognizing the extra services provided to you by Kayleigh. I know you made her day when she saw this review.

Amherst, New Hampshire
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed this past weekend (2/15-16/2014) and were greeted very warmly by the front desk, I had wanted to book a PEM package, but the rooms filled up quickly while I was waiting to hear back from husband, the room/package I wanted was gone. So, I called to see if there were any rooms left at all! Well, they had a larger room that we really didn't need, but the manager agreed to give us the room for the same price of the smaller. They also told me that if they had extra tickets that other guests weren't using for the Peabody-Essex Museum that we could inquire at the front desk and they would be happy to give them to us. Well, we didn't even need to ask when we checked in, there was a note on our reservation and the reservationist simply offered them to us. Great way to start our stay! Our room had two queen beds. It was not a large room, but very suitable. The shower and toilet were in separate rooms, no tub. If you are a person of size, the commode may present a challenge to sit on comfortably, it was rather close to the wall. The heat worked great, the windows let in ample light and the room darkening curtains blocked out the street light at night. The beds were very comfortable, but the blankets (I thought) were a bit restrictive because of the weight of them. The room had a faint smell of stale smoke. I imagine that all rooms at one time had smokers. The worst was when trying to enter or leave the hotel... where smoking is allowed. That was nasty getting thru the vestibules where the stale smoke smell hung.

I very much enjoyed our stay, the staff is so very friendly and kind, always a smile and greeting when entering the hotel. The bar is beautiful too, lots of wood, with a cozy and comfy atmosphere. We didn't eat at the hotel, we decided to venture out for our meals. They have a large parking lot, and we were able to leave our car there after checking out on Sunday for the afternoon. They go above and beyond to accommodate you while you're a guest at their hotel.

This is a great place to stay while in Salem... walking distance to most everything. The staff is top notch, the hotel is beautiful. Very charming and very New England.

Dear Annie M,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m so glad that even though you thought you had missed the opportunity to take advantage of one of our special offers, we were still able to reserve you a great room and present you with complimentary passes to the Peabody Essex Museum. We believe in doing everything we can to make a guest’s stay as lovely as possible, and I will be certain to pass along your compliments to our Front Desk team for their efforts in doing just that.

We are lucky to be centrally located in downtown Salem, placing us just a short walk from the city’s many great attractions, including the Peabody Essex Museum. I hope you enjoyed your visit to the Museum, and that you had the opportunity to explore more of the city.

I appreciate you letting us know that your room seemed to have a faint smell of smoke, although I do wish you had said something to us during your stay. Although our rooms on the fifth floor are non-smoking rooms, we cannot always guarantee that guests will not smoke in them. I will be sure to have housekeeping go through the room thoroughly to eliminate any possible smell of smoke.

Thank you again for your feedback. It is in understanding our guests’ experience that we can continue to improve the Hawthorne Hotel.

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night. An older property, but it has been kept up to date. Great restaurant and bar. Plenty of free parking. Walking distance to the Peabody Essex Museum and other attractions such as the witch museum.

One warning is the traffic on route 95/128. Avoid this route at rush hour.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank R W
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear R W,

Thank you for your succinct review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We are always looking for ways in which to improve the Hawthorne experience, and I’m pleased you appreciated the changes we have made to keep our unique historic Hotel up to date.

We are lucky to be located in the heart of downtown Salem, placing us, as you mentioned, close to the city’s many great attractions. I hope you enjoyed a visit to the Peabody Essex Museum.

Regarding the traffic, I sure wish we could improve that aspect of a visit, but regrettably that is not on our plate to handle. Traveling during non-rush hour times is a great solution. I find that coming in on route 1A from Boston is the best way to come to Salem. While these are all surface roads, I find that they do move along quite well, and the distance is actually shorter that way. We also suggest that our guests look at the directions we have on our website to the hotel, because we find those are the best ways to come.

Phippsburg, Maine
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We had an exceptional experience when we stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel on 2/13 and 2/14. The room was lovely. When I requested a bathrobe the General Manager, Juli Lederhaus, not only provided us with great quality terrycloth robes, but also graciously presented us with 2 tickets to the Peabody Essex Museum. This is the kind of exceptional customer service that elevates the Hawthorne from other hotels. We can't wait to return.

1 Thank Elizabeth L
Dear Elizabeth L,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that I was able to find you two of our cozy bathrobes to use during your visit. I hope that you also enjoyed your visit to the PEM—the Museum’s “From Here to Ear” exhibit has been drawing a crowd!

We believe that we at the Hawthorne are in the hospitality business, not the hotel business. We take a lot of pride in offering our guests a welcoming, comfortable experience, and it is through feedback such as yours that we know we are doing just that.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!