Hawthorne Hotel
$249
The Hotel Salem(Salem)(Great Value!)
$189
$169
Residence Inn
$110
2,066 results
All reviewstavern on the greenbeautiful historic hotelrooms are smallan older hotelhalloween ballwithin walking distancethe general managerfront desk staffthe peabody essex museumtwo queen bedsfree parkingnew englandwitch museumvisiting salemthe publobbywedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This is my third visit since July 2013. I've stayed here during a July week with 100-degree days, a pleasant autumn week, and now in snow. Each time the hotel has impressed me. Yes, there are quirks particular to a 1925 building: the elevators are small, the heat and air conditioning run on a single system. But the service is outstanding, the rooms clean, the beds very comfortable. I arrived on my business trip quite early (about 11 a.m.) and they checked me right into an interesting room, 304 (see separate notes under "choosing a room").

Other positives: the wi-fi is free and fast. There's plain vanilla yogurt with the continental breakfast (just ask for it). Outside the elevator on each floor are old cupboards full of books (take one, leave one). Each morning you have your choice of free newspapers in the lobby: NY Times, Boston Globe, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and the local daily. And the Tavern food is just great, especially when a fire is crackling on a cold day. Parking is no-fuss; park once and walk to everything in the center of town, and to the wharf.

Room Tip: Room 304 would be great for friends traveling together and sharing. It has two double beds, one full bath, and one half-bath.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear jerseyjazz,

We love to hear from our guests, especially those who are obviously quite familiar with us and our Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stays with us, and that you appreciate the charms and quirks of staying at a historic Hotel. I’m glad that you also took advantage of our central location in Salem to explore the sites including Pickering Wharf.

I appreciate you also highlighting so many of the qualities that we think make the Hawthorne a great place to stay, from our complimentary Wi-Fi, great restaurants, complimentary newspapers, and our book exchange. We love to have that kind of relationship with our guests.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for three nights this past fall (I know, I am a little behind in writing this review!) and had a wonderful time! Our room was clean and comfortable. It is within walking distance of attractions and dining, so we walked everywhere. In the lobby, they had warm apple cider that was very delicious! The whole hotel staff was friendly and personable, from housekeeping to maintenance to front desk. The room was we stayed in was small but charming. The bathroom and shower were in separate rooms and while the bathroom was an average size, the shower was a bit small. I am planning on staying again on a future trip.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Shannon123103,

Thank you for your lovely review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us. We take great pride in selecting members for our staff who are friendly, welcoming, and demonstrate the hospitality we wish to offer our guests. I appreciate your kind words for our entire team, and will be certain to pass them along.

I’m glad you also took advantage of our great location in Salem. As you mentioned, we are within walking distance of the city’s many great attractions, as well as the shopping district. We are also central to the Haunted Happenings celebrations that occur throughout October, and I hope that you and your husband enjoyed that unique time of year for the Hotel and for Salem.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

We are having major renovations done to our home. We wanted to stay close to our home and there were many options for a place to stay. Our son and daughter-in-law suggested we stay at the Hawthorne, since we have a love of older homes, the Hawthorne was the perfect place to stay. It is so welcoming and quaint. The room is lovely and cozy. The staff is friendly and accommodating. Also, the hotel is centrally located to many tourist sites that are within walking distance. The Tavern is the perfect place to sit by the fire and enjoy a great meal, located just off the lobby. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Dear Susan T,

Thank you for your lovely review of the Hawthorne Hotel. Whatever their reason for staying with us, we strive to offer all of our guests a welcoming, comfortable atmosphere in our rooms and in our two restaurants. I’m so glad that we were able to do that for you while your home underwent renovations.

We consider ourselves very lucky to be located within walking distance to so many great historical sites and attractions, and just a short distance from the water. I’m pleased you enjoyed this aspect of your visit, and hope you enjoyed touring the city.

Best,

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I recently spent a night at the old historic Hawthorne Hotel in Salem, MA for a friend's wedding. It offered charming fun, with helpful energetic staff and good service. If looking to explore the historic town, take your partner for a romantic get-away, or looking for something with a bit of history, architecture, and elegance, then this is your spot. There are several fun restaurants, pubs, shops, and sites to see all within walking distance. The hotel's dining options were adequate, but there are many options close by which may better suit. The hotel is next to the lovely Salem Common, a few yards away from the famous Salem Witch Museum, and a few minutes walking to Essex Street where many shops and further restaurants are located. We enjoyed our stay at the Hawthorne.

Room Tip: If you have the ambition, ask for one of the hotel's haunted rooms, and the history behind it. I'd recommend the Deliverance Room category with double queen beds. It is generously spacious.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Adtraveler19
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Adtraveler19,

Thank you for your lovely review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that your friend’s wedding was just as enjoyable. We know we cannot be all things to all people when it comes to food, but if you care to share your comments on our restaurants with me directly, please feel free to call me at 978-744-4080. I would enjoy hearing about your specific experience(s) to see if there is anything you feel could or should be improved upon. We are always interested in learning how we can be better.

We are certainly lucky to be located in a city filled with such great history and culture. I’m glad that it seems you took advantage of our great central location to explore the downtown shopping district and fantastic nearby attractions. In addition to the Salem Common and Salem Witch Museum, we are also a short walk from the Peabody Essex Museum and the historic Salem Maritime Site, and I hope you had the chance to enjoy them as well.

Best,

Reviewed February 3, 2014

My son decided he wanted to stay with me and I had booked the smallest single available. Hotel staff got us upgraded (at a reduced rate) to a room in the guest house. They really went above and beyond for us. And the room was adorable. I could have stayed there forever. You really cannot beat the location of this hotel, and the tavern food is fabulous. I recommend the crab meat sliders in particular.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank LaraFeralS

Dear LaraFeralS,

Thank you for your lovely review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that when your plans changed we were able to update your reservation to accommodate your son as well. Our Fidelia Bridges Guest House, located behind the main Hotel, certainly offers its own unique charm.

I’m glad that you also stopped into our pub-style restaurant, Tavern on the Green. At this time of year, the warm fireplace and cozy atmosphere certainly can’t be beat. I know that fellow Trip Advisor readers will appreciate your recommendation of our Crab Cake Sliders with Chipotle Aioli—delicious!

We hope to see you again soon.