“Our stay at the Hawthorne Hotel”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Apple Valley, California
“Our stay at the Hawthorne Hotel”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I wanted to go to Boston/Salem during October, so I did my research, and booked several days at the Hawthorne hotel. It's a haunted hotel, but unfortunately we didn't see any ghosts. The Lobby was decorated beautifully... including the largest pumpkin I have ever seen. We usually like staying at places where you get breakfast... not here..... but that's OK... it's a great hotel with nice rooms. A lot of the "Bewitched" series was also filmed here. What I liked best, is that it was close to everything. Salem is a walking town anyway, but I loved being close to everything. If you want to book here, book early.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Pattielynn,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are lucky to be centrally located in historic Salem, placing us within walking distance of great sites such as the Peabody Essex Museum and Picking Wharf. It’s great that you utilized our excellent location during your visit to experience the city and its many great attractions.

Of course, Halloween is a unique time in Salem, as well as for us here at the Hawthorne Hotel. It’s certainly good advice to book early if you want to stay with us in October, especially if visiting on a weekend.

I wonder if you were here for our annual Halloween Party? If not, it’s certainly worth considering this year. Our rooms are already booked for that weekend, but tickets to the Party are still available. This year’s theme, Nightmare on Hawthorne Boulevard, is looking to be a hit! There are rooms in other area hotels available for that weekend – if you need assistance as to where to look, do not hesitate to give us a call.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Service was great and the complimentary coffee all day and night was the best coffee of any hotel I have ever had
The front desk people were awsome and very helpful
You have a great hotel and staff
Only negative was the rooms( even upgrades ones)were a bit too small!!!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Susanslovin,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. Guests are our number one priority, and so I’m pleased that you found our Hotel and staff to be so welcoming. I will be certain to pass along your kind words to our front desk, and to the rest of our team.

We receive many compliments on our coffee, so we are pleased to see that you enjoyed that as well.

As a historic Hotel, we do offer a variety of room styles and sizes, some of which are small by modern standards. Should you stay with us again, I encourage you to speak with our front desk about your needs, and they will do their best to reserve you one of our larger rooms. For our guests’ convenience, we also offer descriptions of our thirteen different room types on our website, along with approximate square footage.

Best,

Armonk, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Guest rooms clean and updated. Very nice! Carpeting in elevators were dirty and old. I was surprised that a small area like that wasnt updated. Tavern restaurant overrated. Dinner would have been very good, yet it came sopping with butter melted all over the haddock. Green beans also drenched in butter. Fries were crispy yet tasteless! Dinner rolls tasteless. Morning coffee was delicious. If returning to Salem, I would stay at hotel and definately eat elsewhere!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank goldenretrieverny
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear goldenretrieverny,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you seemed to enjoy your stay with us, and that you found your room to be so comfortable. I am perplexed about your comment regarding the carpeting in the elevators, as it was replaced this summer. Was your review about a trip made before then?

We get many compliments on our coffee, so we are pleased to see that you enjoyed it as well. I’m surprised to read of your experience in our Tavern on the Green restaurant. We strive for excellent food and service in our restaurants, and so it is distressing to find out that your meal was so unacceptable.

I would like to reach out to you to discuss this further, and to invite you back on another occasion to enjoy dinner with us, so that we can show you that the meals we prepare are of the best quality. You can reach me by calling the hotel at 978-744-4080and simply asking for me.

We hope to welcome you back again.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed August 25, 2013

A comfortable and elegant historic hotel with excellent service. Right across from Salem Common, within walking distance of nearly all the interesting sites in Salem. We stayed with our ten-year old son and he also loved it. Not inexpensive, but not extravagantly expensive either. We hope to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear MSgrifmyth,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found both our location and service to be ideal for your visit to Salem.

As you mentioned, we are centrally located in historic downtown Salem, within walking distance of the city’s many great attractions, including the Peabody Essex Museum, the Salem Harbor, and the upcoming Haunted Happenings celebrations. I’m glad that you and your family utilized this to enhance your visit.

Thank you for noting that you felt the price, which is not cheap, actually reflects the overall quality of the experience you had, and which was enjoyed by your entire family.

Warm regards,

Edison, New Jersey
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I didn't know what to expect, considering this is an old hotel. As soon as I entered the lobby, however, I fell in love with the decor and ambience. The front desk clerks are extremely friendly and competent. Our room was gorgeous! A little quirky, but gorgeous nonetheless. The shower appeared to be in a refitted closet and was huge. The washroom and toilet were in a separate area across from the shower, although a little small. The queen-size bed was quite comfortable. I found the entire hotel to be immaculate. It's location in Salem is perfect to take in all the sights, most of which were within walking distance. There are two restaurants in the hotel -- Nathaniel's, which is fine dining, and Tavern on the Green for more casual fare. However, breakfast was served in Nathaniel's and was delicious. The only downside was that we were only here for one night; I would definitely consider going back and staying longer!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RWNW
Dear RWNW,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad that you had a pleasant stay with us, and that our unique historic atmosphere added to your enjoyment of the Hotel. We are so sorry that we could not persuade you to stay longer, but it appears we gave you a number of reasons to return.

Because we are one of the Historic Hotels of America, we pride ourselves on maintaining a unique atmosphere, while still keeping in mind the modern needs of our guests. This is why our Hotel is kept in excellent condition, and why you found our rooms to be so comfortable and well taken care of. I will be sure to share your comments about our cleanliness with our Executive Housekeeper, and the entire housekeeping team.

Nathaniel’s is a breakfast favorite of locals and guests alike. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast there. Should you stay with us again, I recommend trying our weekly Sunday Jazz Brunch.

Best,

Jamaica
Reviewed August 24, 2013

a great place to base out for walking all around this town. elegant lobby and great front office staff. all services good, but parking can be tricky at night if there is an event at the hotel. a fine family place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MRCONNOLLY
Dear MRCONNOLLY,

Thank you for your succinct review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found our front desk team so welcoming.

Please know that we guarantee parking for our overnight guests. If you are ever staying with us again and have difficulty finding a space due to one of the events going on, please let our front desk know so that they can assist.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I had wanted to stay at The Hawthorne Hotel for several years. I am a member of the National Trust for Historic Preservation and love historic hotels. I loved The Hawthorne. It is beautifully decorated. It is perhaps the cleanest hotel I was in during my 10 trip. I spent 3 nights at The Hawthorne. Everyone that we dealt with at the hotel was pleasant and helpful. The hotel also has 2 great restaurants on site. This is unusual in a hotel of this size. The food was good in both. It is centrally located to the trolley, the Peabody-Essex Museum, and all the witch stuff if you are interested in that aspect of Salem. We also walked to the train depot and rode the train into Boston. The train let us off at the North Station where we walked out of the door and boarded a trolley for a tour of Boston that included an inside tour of Fenway Park. The round-trip could not have been easier. We had a great time in Salem that was made better by the Hawthorne Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GlendaKHouston_Texas
Dear GlendaKHouston_Texas,

It was such a pleasure to meet you at breakfast in Nathaniel’s. Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. As someone who had been looking forward to staying with us for some time, I’m glad that you enjoyed your visit and that we were able to make your stay in Salem all that much better.

We do have two restaurants on-site: Nathaniel’s, our fine dining restaurant, and Tavern on the Green, our pub-style restaurant. Although each restaurant offers a different atmosphere, both offer excellent food and great service, and I’m glad that you were able to experience both of them. I’m certain that fellow Trip Advisor readers will also appreciate your sharing such a well-rounded review of what the Hawthorne has to offer.

Thank you for also recognizing the hard work of our excellent housekeeping staff. As a historic Hotel, we take great pride in preserving the charming atmosphere of our Hotel, while still keeping our facilities well taken care of, and so I’ll be certain to pass along your kind words to our team.

We realize that our location is not only central to Salem and its attractions, but also very convenient to the commuter rail and the Salem Ferry – both excellent ways to travel into and experience Boston. I am so happy that you found that to be the case.

Warm regards,

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!